Has anyone here never experienced snow before?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Casper
You could have taught him how to touch his tongue to a frozen steel pole...all kinds of frozen mischief !
Gary

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I kind of freak out every year for another reason when I see the white sh**. It means no more playing in the dirt for 3-4 months.:sad9:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People here in Georgia freak out every time the weather folks mention the word "Snow". If you don't believe this all one has to do is go into a grocery store shortly after the "Snow " word was muttered by the local news weather folks. No bread, no milk. no eggs. I have always felt that the news media and the local grocery chains here are in a working business together.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember living near phoenix when I was a youngin.

They brought us snow down from flagstaff AZ in the bed of a truck one day and dumped it on the playground. We were freaking out! Now being in pa I hide from it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Where I'm at in CA (along the central coast) never snows. The first time I ever saw snow was on a travel trip when I was about 15 yr. old.

Humorously, as it relates to md'ing: One time a buddy and I were on an md'ing trip to the high deserts of AZ and NV. We woke up in our hotel room, to find it had snowed outside during the night. But it was only an inch or so, so it wasn't enough to stop us from md'ing (you just kick the snow aside to dig your target, right ?). We picked a nearby park in this town, to hunt. After a few minutes, I isolated a target to dig, kicked the snow aside, and thrust my digger into the ground. I HAD NO IDEA GROUND FREEZES. Doh! Numb-nuts low-lander just had no concept of this.

We were stubborn anyhow, and chipped away at this target for the next 20 minutes, like chipping at solid ice. Finally got a nice merc. out of that hole, and promptly hit the freeway to get down to the lower desert level altitudes. Doh !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember in high school we had an exchange student from S.America and he was freaking out the first time he went out in the snow
Besides Florida, I have lived in Colorado, Ohio, Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Illinois, Missouri and been through every state and in ever National Park west of New Jersey, drove through countless snow storms and blizzards as well. Most snowfall in single storm I was in was 38" inches in Minnesota. Lost my car for over 2 weeks, buried in snow drifts over 10-15 foot high.

Seen lots of snow, use to winter camp in Colorado when I was younger.

Seen snow banks as high as tops of telephone/power poles. Driven between Grand Junction Co and Silverton Co in dead of winter as well as driven through Yosemite NP on first day they opened Highway 120 through park and over the Sierra Nevada mountain passes after winter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on two ski trips....so saw snow twice. Im in the southern hemisphere where most Christmas days are spent at the beach. Normally between 25 and 35C ( 75 - 100F).
Was 105F here last week -2 days in a row!

Chub

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was speaking to someone in Florida once and mentioned that a cloud formation made the horizon look like mountains in the distance. From the blank look on their face I could tell they had never seen snow OR mountains. They are missing out.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work with and know a lot of folks from west Africa and they've never seen snow before they came to the mountains. Surprisingly, they are better drivers in snow than Texans. My grandkids in Mexico have never seen snow except in pictures. Before I was sent to Colorado, I had seen a 'White Christmas' only two times in 50 years. Now it's pretty much guaranteed, every year.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN, I drove the 50/550 route between Grand Junction to Silverton Co in January back in the mid 70s, it was a winter wonderland. Snowbanks were up to the top of the power/telephone poles, they stuck out a couple feet..

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Houghton, MI >>> 2016-17 180.00 inches. That's 15 feet. 1978-79 was 355.90 inches. 29.6 feet!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maryland is in the snow belt, most years it doesn't last long. We have had 30" on the ground in a few storms in the past I've experienced. I do not like any amount of the "white death" anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread