Awesome variety of Native American artifacts from central Virginia!

ryan_p

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys
Here are some of the finds from, what we believe, was a Native American campsite situated along a travel route in Amelia Virginia.

You can see a quick video of them here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yNSXO6E5iQrMPztZ2
View attachment 1524859

Forgot to include this one in the original pic:
View attachment 1524864

All of these finds except a few pieces were found by sifting dry ground on the high side of a big creek. I would estimate these at 0"-16" depth, clean sandy soil, very easy for sifting. The finds shown in the picture and video show probably 75% of the types of material that we've found so far, and I have no doubt there is much more to be found.

The wide variety of (uncommon) material is why we believe it was a travel route campsite. We have found points, lots of stone flakes, lots of clay pottery, a few pieces of soapstone pottery. We've found a hammer stone, and 2 pieces of a grind stone (25 ft apart). Also found a couple small pieces of preserved bone (top middle of pic) and some bits of charred wood. I believe a lot of this is jasper, possibly some chert and flint, also found a chunk of slate. Some quartz. And many unknowns.

Let me know if you can identify any of this. I'm most curious about the first green/white flake in the video that I pick up. I've never seen anything like it and dying to know what it is. Hoping to find a big point made from it one day!

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread