Beginning the SMALL Venture ......Help.....

Boosted2j

Dec 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, New to the forum and new to prospecting in general. I have a specific goal and would like recommendations.

Real quick background: I am an insurance adjuster that works part of the year chasing storms for insurance companies. I work between 3-6 months a year, live in Florida, and have a lot of free time on my hands.

My objective: My father made his engagement ring for my mother and I would like to follow suit and take it a step further. I would like to prospect for gold to find enough just to make one proper ring. I have the route already for making the ring as a family friend makes custom jewelry and said he would help me out if I could get the material.

So I am not looking to get rich quick or anything from prospecting but I do need to find enough to make a proper ring. I am not looking to propose anytime in the next 1-2 years but would like to start my "hobby" early. And who knows maybe this will turn into a long term hobby as well.

I have done a lot of youtube research and know all the basics on Panning, Sluicing, Dredging, Quarts crushing, Refining, etc. But I have no Idea where to start with my little aventure. I am thinking the total ring would be about .3-.4 oz but would want to find about .6-.8oz to make the casting process much easier.

Where would you guys start? I can pick up and go on trips but is it worth heading all the way to Colorado or California for a small goal like this? Maybe north Georgia? Also how do I find the land that people will allow me on as I am not going to get my own claim for that small goal?

I am planning on picking up a small Sluice box, gold pan, and maybe even make a small rock crusher (I love building little projects).

Thanks in advance guys and I hope this is as fun as I think it will be.

OP
OP
B

Boosted2j

Dec 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, and also will pick up a little mid grade metal detector, $100-200 used one in good condition. I spend a lot of time at the beach where my family lives so I think it can come in handy outside of this little venture.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post Boosted2j - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
2nd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the forum, but I think it will take awhile to find enough natural gold to make a ring, unless you just get lucky. Probably have a better chance by detecting the local beaches, and finding one to melt down and recast.
Jim

OP
OP
B

Boosted2j

Dec 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum, but I think it will take awhile to find enough natural gold to make a ring, unless you just get lucky. Probably have a better chance by detecting the local beaches, and finding one to melt down and recast.
Jim

Thanks for the response, But I would like to do it natural gold. I know this won't be a weekend endeavor (unless I'm super lucky haha) But maybe a a few weekends a year for 2 years. Like if I can find .1oz or even .05oz each time. I am not expecting it to be easy. If I was looking for the easy way out Id just buy that much gold since it would be much cheaper then the trips looking for it. Its more about the journey.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I cast gold and silver for jewelry items for years and one needs about double the metal for a proper casting as you mentioned.
In other words, if your finished ring weighed a 1/2 oz. you would need only an ounce for the spruces, button and ring.
Most engagement rings weigh less than a 1/2 oz.
Also, a gold ring made with solid gold (24k) would not hold up over the years as it is too soft. Other metals (dross) will have to be added to the gold to lower the karat down to a functional metal that will stand the test of time for the wearer.
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Boosted2j

Dec 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, those are things I don't know, I didn't do research on the amount needed or even ask my family friend yet about it. Ill do research on the amount needed in the near future but first I need to figure out the most practical way to prospect for it then I can worry about exacts.

I am thinking maybe finding a veteran prospector from youtube and see if I can tag along with them on a weekend trip.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a few suggestions, but first, a few questions. Living in Florida, you have some of the best gold producing beaches in the Country. Why mot mine those first? To have a real chance at a few grams of raw gold, you'll need an experienced guide with access to gold bearing claims. You need equipment based on WHERE the claim is - i.e. woods; stream; desert; river. It will cost about $350-$500.00 a day to pay a guide and rent equipment.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to discourage you, but I used to live in Atlanta and got the "Gold Bug" back in the late 80's. I spent all my free time for 2 years panning, rocking, nugget shooting, and sluicing for gold in North Georgia from Gwinnett, Dahlonega, and all over the Chattahoochee National Forest, and came to the conclusion that I could find more gold metal detecting in public parks around Atlanta than I would ever find in those mountains, and I did. I saw others get lucky, and the biggest nugget I saw come out of nature was about the size of a quarter, and unfortunately I was not the one to locate it. Hoping to get lucky is something humans have hardwired into our minds, but it is like being struck by lightning, and the odds against finding a significant amount of gold without investing many days in recovery, even enough to make a ring, are stacked against you.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My old man does jewelery. A typical ring is around 10-20 grams for him. (he does somewhat larger pieces)
To find 1 GRAM took me 10 years. So, if you're as lucky as me, keep a hole in your schedule the next 100 years!:laughing7:

Now to the proper reply; you need to hook up with someone in a known gold-bearing area to even have remotely a chance to make it work.
This can be a paid service or someone you meet.
Keep a keen eye on how much you're hauling out there during your visit. To get an idea if the time frame is reasonable.
I have no experience of the US, but...

I know a guy in Sweden whom had the same project - he still hasn't completed it 5 years after start.
Which shows the importance of visiting the right places AND digging in the right places.

Good luck!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are a couple of ideas, like others said, hunt for gold rings on beaches, then melt them to make your ring.

You could always buy some raw gold, from a miner, and make the ring out of that.

I applaud your thought process, however, I am afraid that in the real world, this will not be an easy task to accomplish.

JMHO, best of luck to you sir.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
however it works out keep us updated, it will be fun to see how you do

Top Member Reactions