Dylan.W

Greenie
Dec 8, 2017
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
CoinMasterGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Im looking for some petrified wood,I'm a Wood Worker and I'm making a special pen for my dad for him graduating with his masters degree, Im having a hard time locating a piece of petrified wood with the thickness that is needed to make a pen, I know that petrified wood isn't actually wood, so I'm sanding and cutting everything into shape, But I have yet to find one that is thick enough. So if anyone can help that would be very much appreciated

Thank you

I'm also looking for prehistoric animal bones, meteorite, antlers, And other significant pieces of wood.
so if anyone can help with that, that would be awesome

Thank you

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There are several lapidary shops in the Houston area. At least one should be able to help you out.

Finally time for coffee.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
You could star with trying Pipe Creek down at Mustang Crossing, we own a ranch right there and there is plenty around. Then you could try out past the old stock yard in Bandera right under the bridge, that is another great spot for it, then Kerrville are of course like Lost Maples and lastly if you want that one stop shop to just find it all head up to Junctjon, nothing but worthless cattle country and tons of it all (not meteorites or I would not share) laying around.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Understand petrified wood is not wood anymore. The wood has been replaced with silica. It's very hard and has to be worked with stone grinding tools. Probably the biggest challenge might be the hole. I can drill small holes in rocks for jewelry but it's time consuming. I can drill very large holes in many rocks and concrete but not silica w/o a diamond bit or core drill.
Maybe someone has a work-around for this.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hvacker is correct, this isnt going to work like you think. Petrified wood, besides being very hard is also very brittle. Imagine trying to turn a wine glass stem into a pen.

OP
OP
D

Dylan.W

Greenie
Dec 8, 2017
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
CoinMasterGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the steps to make it, im not turning it on the lathe, im sanding everything down with metal sanding belts, and I am getting diamond grinding bits to bore out a hole in the center, I dont care how long it takes, My dad worked very hard and is still working very hard for us and himself, Im not going to just give up because it might be hard.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the steps to make it, im not turning it on the lathe, im sanding everything down with metal sanding belts, and I am getting diamond grinding bits to bore out a hole in the center, I dont care how long it takes, My dad worked very hard and is still working very hard for us and himself, Im not going to just give up because it might be hard.

I appreciate your determination, Grasshopper, but I have to agree with galenrog. Find a local rock shop, go in and choose the material, and have him form it on a diamond lap, and drill it for you. The lap will actually drill it first, then form it. You don't have the equipment to make it look beautiful. The lapidary will put a mirror shine on it, and you can finish the product. Your Dad will love it. The rock shop will have a ton or more of material in a big pile out back, and finished items you can look at, and you can choose what you think your Dad would like. Good luck!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
While some of the techniques of woodcarving and woodworking are similar to lapidary, the tools are rarely adaptable. An example is drills. While a quality steel bit is completely acceptable for most woods, the best wood drills are woefully inadequate for petrified wood, or any quality rock. First, a diamond impregnated bit is required. Second, the heat generated by bit against rock will require a constant application of coolant. Water is usually sufficient for this. A lubricant is also necessary. Water, again, will work in most cases.

I used to to make a lot of free form cabochons before arthritic pain took over the hands. I also did a bit of woodworking decades ago. Wood is easy. Lapidary, in my opinion, is far more challenging. If you are going to make a few pen barrels, you have some of the skills, but you have a lot to learn.

Enjoy.

Too late for more coffee.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to just buy him a petrified wood pen you could email the folks at Heins creative Latheworks. They make them.

OP
OP
D

Dylan.W

Greenie
Dec 8, 2017
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
CoinMasterGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have found a nice thick piece of petrified wood, im still looking for small pieces to experiment with before I start the real thing though, and I have contacted the Houston stone and mineral society for advice and if they can help with drilling and shaping with their lapidary equipment, or if they can point me in the right direction

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't nesecarily need to drill. Another way to do it would be to cut and shape the barrel of the pen then instead of drilling cut the barrel in half lengthwise with your diamond saw. You would need the barrel made a little more elliptical rather than circular to account for the width of the blade when spliting the barrel, but instead of drilling you could cut a dado downthe inside side of the barrel halves then epoxy the halves together. Much easier to cut and dado than to drill with an expensive diamond bit that'll probably burn out a heck of a lot sooner than you would like.

That's how I would try to do it anyways.

Cool material but probably a difficult one. I am looking forward to seeing how you make your pen and how it turns out. Please post photos of it if and when you can.- Thanks.

Edit-
I'm also looking for prehistoric animal bones, meteorite, antlers, And other significant pieces of wood.

Significant pieces of wood? I got about a two foot short of plain sawn clear teak 1x10 laying around here someplace that's not doing anything for me. Send me a P.M. if interested.

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've done some brief experiments in the matter. Actually drilling the barrel is by far quicker, with coredrill. Cutting/sawing it in smaller sections makes it possible even on a ordinary drill. If it's waterproof, or using a waterproof container. Water for cooling. Add some silver bands, for example and you're good.

However, actually sanding and polishing the barrel needs to be done on a lapidary machine. Due to cooling and dust-prevention.
If you overheat the stone - it cracks. Dust can result in silicosis.

Onedigger

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad you are not in Ca. I could get ya almost a truck load. I found a petrified hollow tree that apparently fell, on fire. It was charcoal on the outside, brittle, one inch thick. Then i looked around and found a cracked piece about four inches thick per piece, and many more. A friend has them as bookends. Saw a petrified old growth tree stump...now how to get a low boy to it.

OP
OP
D

Dylan.W

Greenie
Dec 8, 2017
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
CoinMasterGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad you are not in Ca. I could get ya almost a truck load. I found a petrified hollow tree that apparently fell, on fire. It was charcoal on the outside, brittle, one inch thick. Then i looked around and found a cracked piece about four inches thick per piece, and many more. A friend has them as bookends. Saw a petrified old growth tree stump...now how to get a low boy to it.

I wish I were there man. sounds like an awesome find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread