Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 3 months ago I was detecting an old creek by a miners camp. I was camping nearby with my lady and our two pups. Anyway, we have had pretty bad luck with bears at this site, generally moderate size blacks, but this go around we had a pretty stout and fearless one around the camp. I was beeping around in a creek when my girlfriend happened to come and say howdy. She found me and after five minutes of hard talk it was time for me to start dinner. Pooches were back in the tent, just as we agreed it was time to get, we heard the familiar crunch of a heft fellow. We paused, looked left, and saw our compadre the hefty bear looking at us about 15 yards away. Generally I carry an .45 but this trip I took the M1A which I can't carry detecting. Anyway, bear was feisty and gave a good charge, luckily we were close enough to camp we could somewhat get rid of it...the dogs did the rest when he followed us back. It's hard to be mindful of surroundings when digging targets with headphones on. Keep one cracked or take pause to make sure you are safe, if she hadn't come up on me I may have been looking at a bear in the face.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread