Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go-Pros are good .But any decent point & shoot camera will cost 1/3 of what a Go-pro goes for.

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What about the knock off action cams they call them, anybody use these, i now on youtube they seem to like them, just wondering.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fuji FinePix XP120
9DFE6332-3D8A-44F6-B39D-B603350B62DB.jpeg

Awesome little camera

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
They do have waterproof action cams that are much more affordable than GoPro's are for hard use. I use them to look under things, down wells, cellars and creek and lake banks...before I put my hands in or get too close because I don't like snakes!

You can get HD pics and videos that are good. I have a remote control 4x4 truck that I mount it to and send down old cellars. Ha! Land Drone. Mount it to a walking stick to look under old home place floorboards or behind walls. Tons of uses. Get a large SD card to go with it if you want to save the video or pics before you upload them.

Good Luck!
Kace

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gopro amd similar cameras are good for well lit, medium distance video clips. They are permanently focused and suffer from lens distortion. Look for a rugged outdoor point-n-shoot camera. Good video and good still pics. Mine is waterproof without any extra casing.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a beach hunter on utube using a Swann and it seem to do well. So I got one- <$100 with remote, mounts, and waterproof housing. But yeah, a GoPro is kinda the standard but pricey for what you get.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you want to shoot video or stills? I used to carry a Nikon point and shoot with me until I saw the quality pictures my wife's Samsung Galaxy S-6 cell phone took. I bought one with a rugged case and have used it ever since. That's been two years now. I can shoot video or stills and they turn out great. And, the phone can offer things a camera can't like apps that tell you the borders of a property and who owns that parcel. Also it offers GPS so it can take you back to an exact spot. But, some folks here will tell you that GPS is not a good thing for this or that reason.

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys theres so much gadgetry out there nowdays its hard to decide . would like one for still photos but action would be allright to. was taking my family to the great lakes this summer to salmon fish and my wife might enjoy making videos. or me ,i would love recording her trying to get one of them on board:laughing7:

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an iPhone and GoPro 3, but I take a Canon PowerShot Elph 350 HS point-and-shoot on all my treks into the Superstitions. It takes great stills and video, but is not waterproof.

Most GoPros are hard to use because they don't have a display screen. However, you can use the built-in Wi-Fi with an iPhone to frame your shots.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The ones I use do have a display screen...That's why I send it in first...I look around everywhere with it, then replay it.

I'm not sure what you want it for primarily SM...You can mount them on a boat, car dash or hood if you want or a chest harness or as a helmet cam, handlebars on motorcycles or bikes etc.

They are great for recording any kind of hunting or fishing trip. Then take your still shots. For Turkey hunting ...I like these for capturing the entire hunt, from coming down from the roost, strutting around, calling them in and the shot. I can take still photos after that with it or phone or another camera.

For me, it's nice to be able to show the entire hunt to the folks who I know that can't get out in the field anymore.

If you want just a camera where your hands are free to use it...I wouldn't go for a GoPro or Action Cam...I'd go with WS and Digger's suggestion.

Best of Luck On Your Fishing Trip!

Kace

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice