The Tale of a Miner’s Griddle

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Throughout the 1800's and 1900's mining camps sprung up almost overnight as gold and silver was found in the area. And just as quickly the camps were abandoned as the mines were worked out. Larger operations would have a full time cook for the crew. Smaller operations would make do with a miner cooking up the "grub" for the guys. When a mine was closed down the company would usually pack up everything of value and move on to the next strike. Occasionally a mine was shut down with the intention of being restarted later or that they would return for their equipment. This is the tale of a mine where the miners never returned.

For a number of years I've been actively exploring old mines across the southwest. Much of my exploring has been with a friend of mine from England called Speedy Caver. Most of the mines that we explore have been long abandoned and most haven't had anyone inside of them for 50 to 100 years. Last year we came across a mine out in the middle of the desert that looked interesting. It was a vertical shaft with quite a large waste pile around it. We decided to get out the ropes to see what we could see. Like many vertical mines, we were concerned that the shaft would be plugged with old timbers and other junk thrown into the mine. Speedy headed down first and found the plug that we expected about 20 feet below the surface. He found a small gap to squeeze through and continued his descent.

Griddle-6.jpg

Griddle-1.jpg

At 50 feet the vertical shaft transitioned to an incline of about 30 degrees and continued down another 100 feet. When Speedy reached the bottom he called up that I needed to climb down to see what he had found. I hooked up to the rope and followed Speedy's path down into the mine. As soon as I saw everything piled against the wall I immediately noticed a round griddle. Given the history of the area I suspect that the griddle had been sitting at the bottom of the mine for close to 100 years! I had to save it.

Griddle-2.jpg

Surprisingly the griddle was in really good shape. There was a bit of surface rust in a couple of spots, but mostly it was just dusty and dirty. Evidently the mine's cook left it well seasoned and a bit crusty. Perfect to keep it from rusting even in this hostile environment. As my normal procedure, I put the griddle in the BBQ and burned off all of the crud then reseasoned it. It came out beautiful! It turns out to be an "Erie" 740 with a 10 on the underside of handle rather than the bottom of the griddle or on the top of the handle. It also does not have the Griswold emblem.

Griddle-4.jpg

Somehow it seemed appropriate to take the griddle up to our mine to use it for the first time in possibly 100 years. I suspect that the mine's "cookie" would approve. It got broken in with breakfast sausage followed by eggs. It cooks beautifully too!

Griddle-7.jpg

Griddle-3.jpg

I'm now be part of the history of the piece and will add my story to it.

Joanne

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta go back down and bring all the other tools up for a permanent display at your house.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY, crawling down old holes like that. Nice story and so cool you have a functioning relic!

OP
OP
Joanne

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You gotta go back down and bring all the other tools up for a permanent display at your house.

I already have similar items at my home. Although they are all interesting, none are particularly rare so I'll leave them there in case someone else decides to venture down there. :-0 Pretty small chance of that...

Joanne

OP
OP
Joanne

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY, crawling down old holes like that. Nice story and so cool you have a functioning relic!

You aren't the first to tell me that! :-) Even though we are quite experienced and have all the required lights, helmets, and climbing gear, it is still a dangerous activity. What makes it special to me is that we get to see a lot of amazing things, both natural and man made. Underground winch rooms, ore bins, and square set timbers. Amazing craftsmanship considering they were way underground working by candlelight. The other part is the connection to history. We are often the first people to set foot in the mines in 50 years or more, and given the condition of some of the mines we may well be the last ones to ever see it. The history will be lost forever. It's one reason I like to take pictures is so that some small bit of that history gets preserved.

Joanne

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool resurrection of that old griddle! Looks exactly like the ones still made today.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
why can't I come across something like that?
got any meat on that cooker?

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing like recovering a piece of history that can be resurrected back into service. Crazy past time and cool recovery. It reminded me I dug one up at my late grand parents old farm years ago. I still need to get mine back to working condition. It does have a little chip in it but, she'll still get the sausage and eggs done just fine. Thanks for the share and be careful out there.:headbang:

Griswold Griddle 005.JPG Griswold Griddle 006.JPG

OP
OP
Joanne

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's nothing like recovering a piece of history that can be resurrected back into service. Crazy past time and cool recovery. It reminded me I dug one up at my late grand parents old farm years ago. I still need to get mine back to working condition. It does have a little chip in it but, she'll still get the sausage and eggs done just fine. Thanks for the share and be careful out there.:headbang:

View attachment 1527988 View attachment 1527992

Nice griddle you have there! A little chip doesn't really hurt anything. Just means it's been used and ready to take on the next meal. :-) Love the cast iron!

Joanne

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome adventure! :coffee2:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dream of doing stuff like that. I had lived and worked in AZ for years That's a cool find and I would love to search old mines wow. thanks for sharing your post I love it.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One time cast iron is better than gold..... well to me. I love cast iron cookware.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread