NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... My trusty old entrenching shovel finally gave up on me, so it's time to get a new shovel... I have a Lesche 28" Ground Shark that I got in a trade a while back, but I really don't care for the narrow blade on it. It's hard for me to cut a clean plug with it.

I'm thinking of getting the 31" Sampson by Lesche, but I figured I'd ask around and see what others are using and get some ideas on what's out there and what people think of the different choices, so what do you use, and why?

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The White's Ground Hawg has been just awesome for me. The increased length over the other popular shovels (36") is perfect if you're 6' or taller.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the 31” Samson T-Handle and it’s perfect for digging a plug and field work. I also have the 18” Sampson for the park if I need it. Good luck!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the D-handle Ranger and so far, it's done the trick for me.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
loving my whites ground hawg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the Model 55 Barracuda. It has a smaller blade and is lighter that some of the others. Full length T handle. The Ultra Eagle is like it, but does not have as big of a step on top of the blade, so it's harder to use IMO. My muddy foot slips off of it.

The best part Model 55 is on sale for $80.95. Cuts sweet little 7" deep plugs in the turf!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not, in nearly 30 yrs I've never had one, and am now looking, man, sooooo many to chose from, time for ME to pull up my big boy pants and just make a decision. I think NOLA would agree that there is some good advice from you fella's. What to choose, what to choose.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being a coin shooter I love the Lesche Sampson. If I was a relic guy I might want something a little bigger.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.... I've just about talked myself into ordering a 36" ground hawg from Kellyco... The extra few inches in length over the sampson sounds like a few less aches in the back. I'll probably order a new hand digger too while I'm at it. Now, to clear it with the girlfriend....

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Lesche T handle relic Hunter shovel. Does very well in our concrete hard Georgia red clay. Cuts through roots and cuts a nice plug. I really like this shovel.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only used a $5 trowel I got at lowes
however as I age I am thinking of the shovel too ( have a welder friend, so may make a custom)

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... My new Garrett digger got here today... My new hunting rig is taking shape. I still need a junk pouch and I might add a canteen. Hopefully my ne Ground Hawg shovel will get here tomorrow....

belt.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no cupholder? where do you keep your beer?

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new Ground Hawg shovel got here today... a couple hours after dark of course... It's tempting to go dig a plug in the yard just to try it out :tongue3: but I guess I'll wait and go test it in a park over the weekend.

I gotta say, first impressions are pretty good with it, definitely a big step up from my old entrenching tool. The length is perfect to lean on too!

So now I just need the doctor to sign off and ley me get back to work and get back to saving for an At Pro

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My new Ground Hawg shovel got here today... a couple hours after dark of course... It's tempting to go dig a plug in the yard just to try it out :tongue3: but I guess I'll wait and go test it in a park over the weekend.

I gotta say, first impressions are pretty good with it, definitely a big step up from my old entrenching tool. The length is perfect to lean on too!

So now I just need the doctor to sign off and ley me get back to work and get back to saving for an At Pro

We need a pic Ken. Show that beauty off!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread