What would YOU do facing an armed robber?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll be watching for you red
here's what you look like in my mind

e t bass.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So back in the day, stationed in San Diego, I was visiting my sister in Escondido for the weekend. Saturday night, I thought I'd walk down to the bowling alley, and have a beer. A guy steps out of the shadows, with a handgun pointed at my belly, he's holding the gun tight up against his side. He says, "Give me your wallet." I say "OK," reach around and pull it out, and hold it out toward him, he reaches for it, then for some reason, I pull it back. He goes, "Hey!" and gestures with the gun. And I say, "You're welcome to whatever cash I've got, but you're gonna screw up my life taking my Military ID, and driver's license. Why don't you take the money, and leave the wallet?" He looks around, and says "I'll leave it that mailbox." Pointing. I say "Thanks." He says "No problem." And he did.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caught a robbery in progress on the yacht I worked on once. We were in Quebec harbor on an 85 foot yacht, and I caught this guy in our boat, with gloves on, and a small knife in his pocket, at 400 am. He was an experienced robber because he didnt bother to close the door behind him. He was in the salon and was looking in a drawer when I saw him. His back was turned and I closed the gap quickly and quietly behind him. I had him in a choke with my hooks in and it wasn't long before he went down like a pine tree. Captain finally came up and called the canadian coast guard on the vhf. They called the Canadian police, and they were there in 5 mins. Just enough time for me to rumage through his pockets and rob him !! I handed his half knocked out a$$ to the cops and they carried him away. We had some coffee and got the heck out of dodge early. I prey I never have to deal with a situation like that again.......it could have been ugly, or gone much differently !!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So back in the day, stationed in San Diego, I was visiting my sister in Escondido for the weekend. Saturday night, I thought I'd walk down to the bowling alley, and have a beer. A guy steps out of the shadows, with a handgun pointed at my belly, he's holding the gun tight up against his side. He says, "Give me your wallet." I say "OK," reach around and pull it out, and hold it out toward him, he reaches for it, then for some reason, I pull it back. He goes, "Hey!" and gestures with the gun. And I say, "You're welcome to whatever cash I've got, but you're gonna screw up my life taking my Military ID, and driver's license. Why don't you take the money, and leave the wallet?" He looks around, and says "I'll leave it that mailbox." Pointing. I say "Thanks." He says "No problem." And he did.
It takes 1/4 second to perceive a threat. Another 1/4 second to react (pull the trigger). It takes less than half a second to disarm a perp that has a gun against you (me)..... you get a little more time if he's talking. I have practiced this exact scenario for decades, taught by police experts at seminars. Not for everyone but it can be done with practice, practice, practice. ╦╦Ç

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta tell you about one of the dumbest things I ever did. I was in Ellicott City, MD looking at antique stores. Went back to the dead end parking lot next to the river which is there. (Which also floods.) Anyway, there are these two out of place guys in a yellow Pinto (yes, this was a LONG TIME ago), well, they are sitting and sort of watching me enter the parking lot. It's broad daylight. I am 2/3 the way to my car. Out from behind a van steps a very tall, lanky guy with wild kind of "spacey" eyes. He also looked somewhat out of sorts, or on drugs. So I walk by him and that inner voice and my keen hearing sense the person has not continued in the direction he was going. So I spun on my heel and in LESS than 1/4 second figured he was out to get me or my money, so in that 1/4 second figured if he took another step, I would literally launch myself into his midsection and literally knock him to the ground. I had my 2 pound of keys in my right hand. I had also thought through jamming them, keys first in his face, then getting up and getting to the car and leaving.

He must have figured he was dealing with "crazy the cat" and turned on his heel and walked in the other direction. When he go to the yellow Pinto, he stopped briefly and looked at them. He then went back to the main street and walked to the right up the street. Seconds later the car pulled out and followed him in the same direction.

Fortunately, my keys are still safe!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good movie trick.....act like you see a quarter on the ground, then toss dirt in his eyes!
Hmm. Will that work on a city street? Or a thick lawn? The only movie stuff I believe in are the Aikido moves from Steven Seagal. ╦╦Ç

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Johnny,
True about how things go down in a ghetto type environment. Real story a few months ago at a inner city pub I frequent only during lunch time as at night it gets a bit wild...lol.

In any event this guy who was a black belt in karate and another not from the neighborhood guy one evening had exchanged some words and it moved outside. The outsider sucker punched the black belt and he went down like a sack of potatoes and landed face first he'll need plastic surgery to get himself back in shape.

The shady types can really do a number on you if you let down your guard.

Regards + HH

Bill

Those are great videos and lots of good info. I grew up around a ghetto and one thing you learn is to never hesitate and to strike first if your instincts are screaming at you. Your instincts exist for a reason but most people don't listen. You learn that pretty quickly haha.
It's much easier to stop the threat before it happens than to wait until something escalates because it can be much worse.
Most people get into trouble when they hesitate out of fear.
Of course back then you wouldn't get shot, just an ass whooping or maybe knocked out at worst.

Situational awareness is the number one key to keeping yourself safe and positioned for anything.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta tell you about one of the dumbest things I ever did. I was in Ellicott City, MD looking at antique stores. Went back to the dead end parking lot next to the river which is there. (Which also floods.) Anyway, there are these two out of place guys in a yellow Pinto (yes, this was a LONG TIME ago), well, they are sitting and sort of watching me enter the parking lot. It's broad daylight. I am 2/3 the way to my car. Out from behind a van steps a very tall, lanky guy with wild kind of "spacey" eyes. He also looked somewhat out of sorts, or on drugs. So I walk by him and that inner voice and my keen hearing sense the person has not continued in the direction he was going. So I spun on my heel and in LESS than 1/4 second figured he was out to get me or my money, so in that 1/4 second figured if he took another step, I would literally launch myself into his midsection and literally knock him to the ground. I had my 2 pound of keys in my right hand. I had also thought through jamming them, keys first in his face, then getting up and getting to the car and leaving.

He must have figured he was dealing with "crazy the cat" and turned on his heel and walked in the other direction. When he go to the yellow Pinto, he stopped briefly and looked at them. He then went back to the main street and walked to the right up the street. Seconds later the car pulled out and followed him in the same direction.

Fortunately, my keys are still safe!
I have four extra key rings linked on my keys. It is now a swing weapon. ╦╦Ç

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I need to do is fall on someone and they're in trouble.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 19 and working in a large office building, I was the only one in our office when a drunk and/or mentally ill man came in and pinned me in a corner demanding I give him money. When I say pinned, I mean full body contact pinned by a stranger a foot taller and at least a hundred pounder heavier than me. But I remained calm and somehow managed to convince the nutcase that the office down the hall from mine kept a lot of money and would give it to him. Then I walked with him down the hall and explained to the shocked receptionist what this guy wanted and he was quickly taken out by security. It was only then that my knees got a little wobbly.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You did it wrong. You're supposed to drop your wallet on the ground like you fumbled it, then either run like hell or put your boot through his face when he bends over to pick up his prize.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I could say what I would do, but to be honest, I have no idea what I would do. This is the same thing I was wondering about when I deployed to Iraq. How would I react? Would I be able to do my job? I was able to.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could say what I would do, but to be honest, I have no idea what I would do. This is the same thing I was wondering about when I deployed to Iraq. How would I react? Would I be able to do my job? I was able to.

Somthing tells me you wont have a problem. Thank you for your service !!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
12 gauge semi buckshot maybe also a wildey magnum

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Must have had some people praying for you...

Its good to have a plan though, better yet plans. The second time I had a knife pulled on me all I could think is "yeah I see the dude with the knife ten feet away, but why in hell is his partner opening the trunk on the car they both just got out of?"

Then the springs in my legs seemed to wind up all by themselves and I took advantage of those. I been cut before, not on purpose though, but no way am I getting stuffed in car trunk.

Here is a plan- when you get startled enough that your instinct MAKES you run, don't second guess yourself. Looking back to check ain't going to help you run any faster. :laughing7:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Armed robber in your space? Multiple perps? Home invasion? I found a really neat setup a fellow has been doing with actual videos of armed confrontations..... police, civilian, ALL types. He uses each to show what to do with..... cover, concealment, distraction. Go to You Tube and search ACTIVE SELF PROTECTION. Eye opening videos. WARNING: some videos are not for you cupcakes. ╦╦Ç

About 30 years ago I was driving home from the shooting range.Stopped at a red light, in the mirror I notices two black males approaching(down the middle of the road) from my rear.The one on the drivers side had a baseball bat.The other(who was the closest) was approaching the passengers side. I said to myself ...'this aint good'. As I was driving my Corvette and there isn't room for three people. The guy on the pass. side started to open the door(probably to distract me) from the guy w/the Bat.I pulled up my Colt Python 6" 357 cocked it, and said . Can I help you ? His eyes immediately tripled in size .The other guy dropped the bat.And they both ran away at mach two...End of story.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 30 years ago I was driving home from the shooting range.Stopped at a red light, in the mirror I notices two black males approaching(down the middle of the road) from my rear.The one on the drivers side had a baseball bat.The other(who was the closest) was approaching the passengers side. I said to myself ...'this aint good'. As I was driving my Corvette and there isn't room for three people. The guy on the pass. side started to open the door(probably to distract me) from the guy w/the Bat.I pulled up my Colt Python 6" 357 cocked it, and said . Can I help you ? His eyes immediately tripled in size .The other guy dropped the bat.And they both ran away at mach two...End of story.

Perfect.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i take mixed martial arts and i used to take kick boxing my coach said one time he was going in to a hotel when the guys jumped him he is small so he makes
a good target he knocked out the two guys he turned to the third and he was running down the street my mma coach said when you get in a fight always either poke them in the eyes or kick em in the groin as hard as you can

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions