What would YOU do facing an armed robber?

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did have a run in with someone who didn't have the best of intentions only once. This was about 4 years ago and my wife and I were in Ventura CA close to the pier and the Promenade out there. It was around 8 in the evening and I was taking some long exposures of the pier. I large guy walked up to me and stopped about 10 feet from me and just stared. I had the feeling he was going to try and rob me. I didn't have my pistol. I had a tripod for my camera. So I lifted up the tripod off the ground and screwed the rubber feet in so the spikes were sticking out. I told my wife to stay away so he didn't try anything stupid with her. He asked me what I was doing, I replied taking pictures, and he started to walk in on me. I had that feeling that this isn't going to turn out well so I pointed the tripods feet at him. I think he got the point when I told him If youre trying to rob me, you've picked the wrong m0!@#r f!@#$r. He stopped, looked at me, turned around and left. I told my wife, lets get the hell out of here!!

I guess the moral of this one is know your surroundings and anything you have can be used as a weapon if need be!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the end of "The Shootist", he went to the bar to start an armed confrontation. He was looking for trouble and got it. Of course, he was dying at the time and wanted to go out with bang, so to speak...

Missed it again, Tim. Rewatch the movie and notice that all the combatants were there for the same purpose. Books/Wayne invited them and they knew what the score was- they came to kill him (for whatever personal reason). In legalese, its called mutual combat.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It kind of reminds of these lyrics from the Gambler

You got to know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away,
And know when to run.

Seems like it was a good fit throughout my crazy years and now when I've gained a little wisdom in life.

Never cared for knives for some reason (must of had a bad experience in a former life) had a few pulled on me and something clicks and I go off the deep end. Thinking back, I now thank my little over worked Guardian Angel that looked out for my crazy thinking and actions. Had a guy pull one on us at a donut shop, flipping it around in our faces as his buddies all were getting in their car. Next thing I know I was in on top of the guy in the back seat with the tip of the flip sticking in his neck giving him his last rights. I came to my senses after hearing my friends pleading for me to let it go. Kept the knife and we went our separate ways. My close friends were really freaked out after the whole thing, at the guy with the knife and me for going after him-I was crazier in their minds. Not sure how I would react today if some of these street scenes played out, just don't know.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhh the shootist lmao.Anybody know who coined that phrase?Well I'll tell you.Once upon a time a reporter was interviewing gunfighter Clay Allison.Clay Allison told the reporter "well,you have your artists and pianists,well....I'm a shootist."

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about us snowflakes?
I don't think you are one, but if you were, just throw sh*t at the robber. Where will that come from? Just reach back, and it will be there.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't trying to start up another "peace brother" discussion. Just didn't think it was appropriate to start another thread like this during the holidays. I've seen way too much hate, violence and death in my lifetime to want to read about it here. I'd just like to come here and read about metal detecting and treasure hunting and not about the perils of daily life in this country.

Metal detecting is an escape for me. That's why I hunt alone and go deep into the woods. Nice to get away from all the hate in this world. Take care and Merry Christmas to all.
Merry Christmas Tim. I don't like reading about prospecting and I don't care for any of the Dutchman lore or buried or lost mine stuff. I can very clearly tell what it is by the title and I simply don't open it.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRAPOLA 1 More week until Jerry makes us register to buy Ammo. Unbelievable. I went to my local Gun shop. They only sell used guns and the only Ammo they sell is what comes in with gun purchase lots. SO they are liquidating all of their stock. I got 14 Boxes of Slugs, 12 boxes of Double 00 a 50 box of .357 mag a 20 box of .458 Win Mag 6 boxes of number 4 high brass and a partridge in a pear tree for $150 WOW WOW WOW!!!
Cant even buy the .458 for that :)

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRAPOLA 1 More week until Jerry makes us register to buy Ammo. Unbelievable. I went to my local Gun shop. They only sell used guns and the only Ammo they sell is what comes in with gun purchase lots. SO they are liquidating all of their stock. I got 14 Boxes of Slugs, 12 boxes of Double 00 a 50 box of .357 mag a 20 box of .458 Win Mag 6 boxes of number 4 high brass and a partridge in a pear tree for $150 WOW WOW WOW!!!
Cant even buy the .458 for that :)

As a non resident, you can buy your ammo in AZ! from now on. ╦╦Ç

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Throwing my hat in the ring(then taking it back out quick!)

The thing is you don't want to be taking by surprise. If you imagine how a scenario is going to go down while doing any activity, you can have what is called a prepared mind.

Example: You come home from work and you imagine a scenario that someone is in there waiting for you. Just the mere thought of that has begun to prepare you.

Downside is, you become a bit more paranoid and skeptical of things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread