What would YOU do facing an armed robber?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Armed robber in your space? Multiple perps? Home invasion? I found a really neat setup a fellow has been doing with actual videos of armed confrontations..... police, civilian, ALL types. He uses each to show what to do with..... cover, concealment, distraction. Go to You Tube and search ACTIVE SELF PROTECTION. Eye opening videos. WARNING: some videos are not for you cupcakes. ╦╦Ç

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Easy enough to present solves without being in a real world situation. Most will freeze, take a dump or beg for their life. As I type this, I would say yeah, I'm a bad ass and I'm going to prevail by taking the bad guy(s) down however, if I have a weapon in my face and family on the line, I might resort to submission, bargaining, etc. Perpetrators will always have the initial upper hand, it would be wise to assess before taking action asap. Fight or flight? The majority of robberies perps don't intend to kill, so I would hope to factor that into my decision process, even if I gained the upper hand. There are many scenarios that one might face and there's no way to prepare for all. Think fast, act fast.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

The primary fact that most law abiding people have to keep in mind. Odds are the perps have the upper hand and the biggest/simplest reason is they have nothing to loose.

So while the average person might hesitate to shoot or take some other violent proactive move they don't hesitate. Worth keeping in mind.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just keeping aware of your surroundings and whats going on around you prevents you being stuck in quite a few unfavorable circumstances.Too many people take safety for granted,they keep their heads buried in their stupid iphones instead of paying attention to whats going on around them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doors are locked. Alarm is set. That gives me enough warning to grab Ol' Betsy and the sound of a shell being chambered will scare off any SANE individual. It's the ones that aren't sane that are the problem. I had this happen once upon a time ago. Was home alone, middle of the day. A pickup with at least 5 people in it decided to make my house a target. I heard the truck stop outside so looked out in time to see 3 of the 5 bail out of the truck, give it a wide berth and literally crane their necks to look around to see any signs of life. I had enough time to grab my telephoto camera with the big lens (this was a long time ago), and Ol' Betsy. I stepped out the front door while they were still about 125' away and it slammed. Shame on me slamming the aluminum door. They all stopped and looked my way and at that moment I chambered a shell. They must have been the sane type. You never saw a bunch of losers hi tail it so fast in your whole life. If they were on water they would have been able to walk on it they moved so fast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easy enough to present solves without being in a real world situation. Most will freeze, take a dump or beg for their life. As I type this, I would say yeah, I'm a bad ass and I'm going to prevail by taking the bad guy(s) down however, if I have a weapon in my face and family on the line, I might resort to submission, bargaining, etc. Perpetrators will always have the initial upper hand, it would be wise to assess before taking action asap. Fight or flight? The majority of robberies perps don't intend to kill, so I would hope to factor that into my decision process, even if I gained the upper hand. There are many scenarios that one might face and there's no way to prepare for all. Think fast, act fast.
I don't think you've seen the videos yet. First is situational awareness. Know what's coming before it gets there. If you can't make space, distraction may save your life. And then, when you're in that bind and have no other option, give him every thing you can do and as fast as you can. I ALWAYS sit in a restaurant where I can see the door (entryway) or cash register or both. I watch for strange or erratic behavior not consistent with the setting. My law enforcement career has taught me situational awareness that saved my life twice. I disarmed two bad guys that were drawing on me from less that five feet. The second situation got me a hero medal. I took the gun away before other officers even saw it. Again, you're reaction must be INSTANT. ╦╦Ç

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ll need some sheet rock and a clean up crew. IMG_1905.JPG

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just keeping aware of your surroundings and whats going on around you prevents you being stuck in quite a few unfavorable circumstances.Too many people take safety for granted,they keep their heads buried in their stupid iphones instead of paying attention to whats going on around them.
Very good point. If you know what is going on, that attitude is conveyed to the perps and most will go to an easier victim. ╦╦Ç

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how about us snowflakes?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my actual thoughts would be to do exactly what they didn't expect
I'm not holding my hands up and surrendering, Probably charge them like dwight freeney before they can react

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those are great videos and lots of good info. I grew up around a ghetto and one thing you learn is to never hesitate and to strike first if your instincts are screaming at you. Your instincts exist for a reason but most people don't listen. You learn that pretty quickly haha.
It's much easier to stop the threat before it happens than to wait until something escalates because it can be much worse.
Most people get into trouble when they hesitate out of fear.
Of course back then you wouldn't get shot, just an ass whooping or maybe knocked out at worst.

Situational awareness is the number one key to keeping yourself safe and positioned for anything.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they ever get in here and I survive, I will need enough tranquilizers to knock out a horse for probably the rest of my life. I have prayed nothing like that ever happens. More than once.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am already planning ahead for my trip to Mass in may.
I'll be wearing my manning jersey and am ready to coldcock anyone who looks at me wrong

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I am already planning ahead for my trip to Mass in may.
I'll be wearing my manning jersey and am ready to coldcock anyone who looks at me wrong
Make sure you visit Dorchester or Roxbury,maybe chelsea.:laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that your playground?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
staying in plymouth, which is an hour south of boston?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread