Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 4.31.26 PM.png

This is a picture of the entrance showing the odd elevation.

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, If ive pulled up any of those things I probably wouldn't have posted this topic. HAHA Back when I did this as a kid, id get excited at pulling up stuff like that. I understood that those items were indicative there would be coins and buttons. usually, that hunch would prove right.

I'd hit that field hard. It sounds like there is farming history along with general public money activity too. I don't typically dig iron tones but I would in your case just to see what you unearth. If it is period to early farming I'd be willing to bet there's coins and other good targets there. I've noticed coins in some fields hide very well. If you dig ox shoes, horse shoes, round balls, square nails chances are you will find something good

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id love to hunt in a group, if nothing else, to benefit from others research and permission granting. Im going to look into local groups.

Me personally, I'd put ten hours on it if its right there and convenient. If you can't find a hot spot of square nails, buttons etc or at least a large cent or something interesting move on to easier or better spots. I have many sites that I walk and crisscross and if I don't hit anything good in 8 hours of swinging I put those on the (this site sucks) back burner. If I walk all day and at the end I have found a seated liberty half dime or at least a largie or a few Indians I consider that success and will keep that spot on the good spot roster. Everyone's different. I used to only hunt solo but I am realizing inviting someone else to your spot can be a great eye opener on what you are (or are not ) missing in terms of target types depth etc.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL, If ive pulled up any of those things I probably wouldn't have posted this topic. HAHA Back when I did this as a kid, id get excited at pulling up stuff like that. I understood that those items were indicative there would be coins and buttons. usually, that hunch would prove right.

Well....these items can and will ring up low and perhaps you're breezing over them unknowingly? That's why digging the low tones could shed light on what MIGHT be there.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont think i would ever give up on it. As winter sets in and the ground freezes it may push stuff up towards the surface, but it may also sink deeper. Id hit from time to time, different settings, different coil you never know. but if you quit going then you'll for sure never know!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO. If you don't have some research pointing you to a old home site or other historical activity linking this site, I think you might be wasting your time. Spend 60 minutes Googling historic maps of this town or this county. Loads of maps for Long Island should be available in the 1800's range. Then spend another 60 minutes overlaying the maps on current Google Maps or Google Earth either digitally or manually. If you see a dot on an old map aligning in your property then you are golden and will know where to focus, if nothing is aligning then time to find a new site. Good luck!

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have. There was a farm there in 1910. Thats the oldest, most detailed map I have for the area. The map doesn't suggest there were any structures on the lot.

Screen Shot copy.png

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have. There was a farm there in 1910. Thats the oldest, most detailed map I have for the area. The map doesn't suggest there were any structures on the lot.

View attachment 1531351

I'll send you a PM with a link and instructions on how to see if there were any home sites on this property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread