Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco-digger, I enjoy your posts very much. Not to hijack the thread here , but I have a question on this "according to their rules" : In the particular places where you think that exists, have you ever actually looked to see if it's really written there? Ie.: a chapter and verse that actually says that ?

Because there's been answers that come back, when persons, decades ago, went to compile lists. Where .... yes ... they got various entities saying "with permission". Or "at the discretion of .. " type effects. Yet if you look closely, the text saying such things is usually not accompanied with any sort of rule that actually said that (to our hobby, anymore so than any other hobby). Instead it appears to be someone answering an inquiry to a someone in the past.

We have something like that for CA state parks, for example (if the FMDAC state by state listing is to be believed). But when you go to click on the supporting links to actual chapter and verse, you see no such thing requiring that. So I am led to believe it's just commentary. Or ... kind of like : They could tell you to stop, if they wanted . Ie.: they have discretion to decide something isn't safe, or is harmful, or annoying another camper, etc.... Sure. But did that mean you had ask ahead of time ? No.

Someone, ages ago, answering an inquiry, was just pointing to the fact of ranger's discretion. But as time went on , md'rs (and the lists they compile) got morphed to think it meant "must get permit" or "permission" etc....

Tom in other posts we have been involved in I copied and pasted the rule for Ohio State parks and the local county metro parks concerning metal detecting. I do not make these up, I simply try to follow rules once I become aware of them. I enjoy your posts when it comes to this topic. Heck I even apply for a permission to hunt New York city parks since it is a necessity when I go to New York to hunt with others, if by chance we decide to hunt a park. Cleveland Ohio also requires permits to hunt their parks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tom in other posts we have been involved in I copied and pasted the rule for Ohio State parks ....

That was quite awhile ago. I'd forgotten about that. I see what you are saying in their FAQ here: http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/faq

Question for you: In all your times , having obtained "written permission" (for when you intended to stray off the beach) : Have you ever been carded to show that permission slip ?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont use permission slips. I just knock on the door, smile, tell them what I do for a hobby as I am handing them my Treasure Hunting Business Card, with my name, picture of me in action, and phone number on it. I rarely get turned down, and offer the homeowner anything I find. They usually want nothing. Leaving some Indian Head pennies or something is always a goodwill gesture.

Walleyeman

May 14, 2015
MI
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if you plan on selling them life insurance or a bridge to nowhere, then bring a contract.....if you want to save history and enjoy your hobby on their property,
a smile and firm hand-shack is best. (political comment deleted, please keep political comments out of threads)

Last edited by a moderator:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did I catch a whiff of a political post? God, I hope not.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time I have ever used any sort of legal contract was on a cache hunt. The stakes were too high to rely on a handshake. Besides that, like others have said, if you start bringing in legal forms people tend to get nervous, which is the last thing you want.

OP
OP
fuzzy535

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was quite awhile ago. I'd forgotten about that. I see what you are saying in their FAQ here: http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/faq

Question for you: In all your times , having obtained "written permission" (for when you intended to stray off the beach) : Have you ever been carded to show that permission slip ?

heres some info on the areas i poke around in the Cleveland area this is a county park. https://clevelandmetroparks.com/abo...ies-procedures/permits/metal-detecting-permit

Ive only been stopped once by a ranger and did have a permission slip. he had asked if i was having any luck so i showed him my pouch full of pull tabs. he chuckled and wished me luck. i told him at this rate ill have the park clean in no time! i know it says no digging but i think its more of the discretion of the ranger. I always clean up after myself and usually put a towel down to collect the dirt and put back in the hole when im done.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never asked detecting permission by mail (tho I intend to shortly on some out of state owners) but I have had very good success in other ventures when I include a self addressed stamped envelope. I try to make it as easy for someone to say Yes as I can.
Champ, that was my intent, a mailing to a certain address, to make it easy on the owner and I guess more so myself. With Brian's flyer along with my letter included, I of course explained that we use no shovels, remove the trash etc. etc., and that we always hope to find something that might pertain to the house to offer the homeowner etc. I did add at the end of the letter that if they really were not interested, simply disregard the letter, I don't know, as had been pointed out to me, trying it that way made it way to easy for them to think "no", and just toss the letter, period. That is most likely true, I just hate to put people on the spot, or I think more, no matter when you knock on a door, you are interrupting someone doing something with a rather (to them) unusual request. Again fella's, I'm sure its just me, but good stuff on this thread. I'd rather be in the woods, fields, deserts detecting all alone or with a couple of other guys, but I will say, some of those yards hold some good stuff, and I'd never turn one down. Anyway, good luck to all, wherever you swing a coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread