New Electrolysis Bucket Results! More detail, any guess on age?

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built a new Electrolysis Bucket so I can clean some of my relics. Below is an old Hoe Head before and after. Can anyone make a good guess on the age? It was found on land that has been farmed since 1780's. I have found new and old on this land.

View attachment IMG_20171227_165745803_HDR.jpg Hoe Raw.jpg View attachment Hoe Cleaned2.jpg View attachment Hoe Cleaned3.jpg

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, Is there a site that might put an age to designs of these like there is for Axe Heads? I don't seem to find any but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice old hoe head. It cleaned up really nice. I would be REALLY interested in seeing a few more pics of how you put that electrolysis bucket together. I've been wanting to make one, and it looks like you did a nice engineering job on yours. Unless it's classified info., of course.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check rickswoodshopcreations.com for a how-to on electrolysis tank construction. I used a standard plastic bin, a car battery charger, 4 one-foot pieces of rebar, copper wire, and washing soda. 20170511_125220.jpg
The old oxidation fizzles right off. You're reversing the rusting process. The rust goes from the rusty relic to the new rebar via the battery charger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old hoe head. It cleaned up really nice. I would be REALLY interested in seeing a few more pics of how you put that electrolysis bucket together. I've been wanting to make one, and it looks like you did a nice engineering job on yours. Unless it's classified info., of course.
OK, I will try to get a few detailed photos and post them soon. Maybe not tonight, it is freezing outside and I am a wimp in the cold. And no classified info. LOL

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I will try to get a few detailed photos and post them soon. Maybe not tonight, it is freezing outside and I am a wimp in the cold. And no classified info. LOL

Thanks Roger. No hurry on that. I liked the fact that you had it all neatly contained in a 5 gallon bucket, and I'm sure others would like to see how you constructed your setup.

Craig

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check rickswoodshopcreations.com for a how-to on electrolysis tank construction. I used a standard plastic bin, a car battery charger, 4 one-foot pieces of rebar, copper wire, and washing soda. View attachment 1532542
The old oxidation fizzles right off. You're reversing the rusting process. The rust goes from the rusty relic to the new rebar via the battery charger.

Thanks for that info, Gene.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Roger. No hurry on that. I liked the fact that you had it all neatly contained in a 5 gallon bucket, and I'm sure others would like to see how you constructed your setup.

Craig
Here are some photos. I used 3 soft steel flat bars inside the bucket. One higher than the rim to clamp the Positive charger terminal to it. I bolted them thru the bucket rim with stainless hardware and connected them all with a copper wire on the outside rim. The hanger bar is set in a slot in the rim to hold it in place. The Negative charger terminal is attached to the end. This hanger bar is where I hang copper wire that is wrapped around the relic to be cleaned. Then I fill the bucket up and add ab little less than a cup of Washing Soda to the water and mix. Hank your relic from the bar then hook it up and plug it in. I usually use 2 amps or 10 amps setting depending on the size and bulk of the relic. I hope this helps. Thanks
IMG_20180101_115847181.jpg View attachment IMG_20180101_120021032.jpg IMG_20180101_120005620.jpg View attachment IMG_20180101_115900719.jpg IMG_20171227_165745803_HDR2.jpg View attachment IMG_20180101_120120261_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd posted about Santa bringing me the commercial unit.

I apologize for being a lazy relaxed fellow, so I haven't taken any pictures. But, I'd made an eyeball find of this bracelet buried in the ground with the outline of the top visible on the ground.

Always look down!

IMG_1315.JPG IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1317.JPG

I'm not the world's best photographer, but gives you the idea.

I just took those pictures, following 25 minutes cooking it. It's much better, but maybe my expectations were too high.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for that Roger. I can see everything you did, and it makes sense. As soon as I get moved to our house, I'm gonna build it. Thanks a bunch!

Craig

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd posted about Santa bringing me the commercial unit.

I apologize for being a lazy relaxed fellow, so I haven't taken any pictures. But, I'd made an eyeball find of this bracelet buried in the ground with the outline of the top visible on the ground.

Always look down!

View attachment 1532725 View attachment 1532726 View attachment 1532729

I'm not the world's best photographer, but gives you the idea.

I just took those pictures, following 25 minutes cooking it. It's much better, but maybe my expectations were too high.

25 minutes isn't much time so it will look better after another bit of time only to be determined by results at different time checks. Congrats on your new machine, that's awesome.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent some time trying to find that old hoe head, but no luck. I think yours is kind of unique, with that heavy reinforcement, and rivets. I haven't seen one like that.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that Roger. I can see everything you did, and it makes sense. As soon as I get moved to our house, I'm gonna build it. Thanks a bunch!

Craig

Not a problem Craig, I just completed making a small items basket for relics I cant hook. I just put it in a bath to see how it works. If it does I will also post a pic of it. Good luck on your move.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent some time trying to find that old hoe head, but no luck. I think yours is kind of unique, with that heavy reinforcement, and rivets. I haven't seen one like that.

I know, I tried for a while on the net and found only one that had the rivets but nothing nearly as well made as mine. I hope it is rare and sought after by many. That way I can say NOT FOR SALE! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread