CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish all of you a prosperous and healthy New Year.

May all your wildest dreams come true and YES it is possible just take look at this for inspiration:

0EB7E101-3A43-4E2E-B186-0EEAE8B33A7B.jpeg
Bernhardt Otto Holtermann and the 'Holtermann Solid Gold Matrixin 1872
630 Pounds
2850 Ounce

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would it be worth about $12,000,000.00 today? :icon_scratch:

NO! It's only worth $9,870,336.00

630lbs = 7560 troy oz. @ $1305.60

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if he buried it in Michigan

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if I found it the Gov would want it but wouldn't get it

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a chunky monkey!
Oh and scoop..... love your avatar.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy ****. Can you imagine finding that? What the heck would you do with it? Back then? Wow. He had to move it. Must be an interesting story.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy ****. Can you imagine finding that? What the heck would you do with it? Back then? Wow. He had to move it. Must be an interesting story.

I imagine that finding it would been an adrenaline filled experience, where strength has been proven to do amazing things.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The world’s largest gold specimen is known as "The Beyers and Holtermann Nugget". Although it was not a solid piece of gold, and therefore not credited as being the largest gold nugget ever found, it is nonetheless the largest single mass of gold ever known to be discovered.

Bernard Otto Holtermann and Louis Beyers were friends who set of to become gold miners. They headed to the town of Tambaroora, near Hill End. The two men mined for several years with only modest reward. They set up the Star Hope Mine, and were fortunate to strike a rich vein of gold that yielded several thousand ounces of gold. The men had become wealthy from successful gold mining.

Then on October 26, 1872, the discovery of a lifetime was made. Holtermann, who was the mine manager at the time, was notified that an extremely rich mass of gold had been located. It was carefully brought to the surface under close supervision from Holtermann. The magnificent specimen is believed to have contained approximately 3000 troy ounces of gold, among a matrix of quartz rock often called reef gold by Australian miners.

Holtermann felt a strong personal attachment to this magnificent specimen, and offered to buy it from the Star of Hope Mining Company (of which he was only partial owner) for 1000 British pounds over the estimated market value. For reasons unknown, his offer was declined and the specimen was sent off to be crushed and smelted along with other reef gold specimens recovered from the mine. There were reports of even larger gold structures found in the following months, which were broken apart for easier transport out of the mines.

http://www.goldrushnuggets.com/beandhonu.html

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The world’s largest gold specimen is known as "The Beyers and Holtermann Nugget". Although it was not a solid piece of gold, and therefore not credited as being the largest gold nugget ever found, it is nonetheless the largest single mass of gold ever known to be discovered.

Bernard Otto Holtermann and Louis Beyers were friends who set of to become gold miners. They headed to the town of Tambaroora, near Hill End. The two men mined for several years with only modest reward. They set up the Star Hope Mine, and were fortunate to strike a rich vein of gold that yielded several thousand ounces of gold. The men had become wealthy from successful gold mining.

Then on October 26, 1872, the discovery of a lifetime was made. Holtermann, who was the mine manager at the time, was notified that an extremely rich mass of gold had been located. It was carefully brought to the surface under close supervision from Holtermann. The magnificent specimen is believed to have contained approximately 3000 troy ounces of gold, among a matrix of quartz rock often called reef gold by Australian miners.

Holtermann felt a strong personal attachment to this magnificent specimen, and offered to buy it from the Star of Hope Mining Company (of which he was only partial owner) for 1000 British pounds over the estimated market value. For reasons unknown, his offer was declined and the specimen was sent off to be crushed and smelted along with other reef gold specimens recovered from the mine. There were reports of even larger gold structures found in the following months, which were broken apart for easier transport out of the mines.

http://www.goldrushnuggets.com/beandhonu.html

Excellent update, Pepperj.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another interesting detail of this incredible find, this picture, of Holtermann and his specimen, was actually "photoshopped," back in the day. He had a good friend and business partner, a photographer stitch two of his photos, one of the gold, and one of Holtermann together, to show him proudly standing next to it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a nugget someone found I think 75lbs still on display at some bank in AZ in some high tech display case

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread