I give up on pennies,just not worth it.

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just getting back in the 'detectorist' hobby.I had gotten rid of my old Compass Relic Magnum 7 years ago.
My son bought me a cheap detector a year or so back and I got the fever back.Now I know
my new one I just bought is still considered cheap,but it beats my old Compass a hundred times over.
I got a Garrett ACE 400.Bought the 5X8 searchcoil to replace the 8.5X11.And wah lah.Excellent.
My old detector discriminated and had ground balance,but no comparison.
Now back to my subject.This ACE 400,with it's digital number readings,let's you know 80% of
the time what object you are reading.Something my old Compass just would not do.
So.With experience and repetition I almost can tell you a penny is down there.Yes,I know
it may be a wheatie or something else,but,80% chance it's a penny.Just not worth the time.
So with this,new to me tech, in the metal detectors,I pick and choose.I know the numbers.What it
might be.What it most likely is.So penny,I may dig you up,but it will be by an iffy signal.One that
says dig.Ok.So that's my 2 cents..).Let me know what you guys think..

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When you begin using the ACE, dig every solid signal you get, don't forget what you learned using your old Compass - the sounds tell a story too.

My last hunt, I was using a Tesoro Tejon versus my CTX. I searched a spot I'd hit before with the CTX, and I found my first gold in 30 years. I checked that 10k gold ear thingy with my CTX.

If I did sweep over that target with the CTX, I probably would not have dug it based on the ID numbers CTX gave me.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since my knee surgery I have had days I pass on cents. DEFINATELY the Zincons. Even CoinStar won't bother accepting them.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I dig everything from foil on up looking for the yellow metal, but 90% of my digging now is in max discriminate, gotta love those clad quarters, and the only pennies I get on those days are either on the surface, or part of a multiple coin spill. I'm leaving the IHP's, Wheats, and other cents for the newer diggers.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig everything except iron! Don’t get lazy because you will miss gold as a result especially when it comes to pull tabs and crown caps.

Scope out high trash areas like next to a trash cans and keep away..you know you will find “crap” so stay away from trash cans in a park .
That’s if you Park hunt of course.

If you want to dig clad vs. gold then that’s another discussion for another thread.

Cheers

54E592C6-94CD-4CE6-95AC-7B69EEF23EA6.jpeg

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some days I skip zincoln signals, some days I dig them. Just depends on my mood or how tired I am. :occasion18:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A heap of different opinions and feelings on this site, none bad, just interesting. I've read in other threads how important it is to methodically clear a site of all trash, etc. in order to be able to hear more subtle, possibly killer targets. How these old knees feel on a particular day has a lot to do with how thorough I am. I wish I had taken up this hobby when I was 12.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If I'm in an urban old-town park, I do indeed pass surface modern pennies and surface zinc. Someone (as seen in the replies so far) is sure to point out: "It might be a giant fat gold ring", or "it might be an old coin that wasn't deep", blah blah. But .... realistically speaking: It's going to be a modern penny or zinc.

So it's kind of like blackjack in Las Vegas: If you have 20 in your hand, do you "hold" or do you take another hit ? After all, the next card *might* be a one card. But odds are: It's not. So you're better off playing the odds and going for signals more-to-your liking.

This is also a question of location. I can think of ghost-townsy spots (all human activity gone by 1900) where we GLEEFULLY dig penny/dime signals, knowing they're likely going to be seateds or whatever :)

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig everything. On occasion if I'm in a hurry and just looking to temporarily pacify my obsession, I will pass on some signals, but if I do, I will mark the location and come back another day and dig them.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't pass targets based on response, pass base on depth. shallow targets are 99% going to be modern coins and trash. If its deep, dig everything that isnt iron. You will have to investigate what depth marks that depth line for every site.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Someone (as seen in the replies so far) is sure to point out: "It might be a giant fat gold ring", or "it might be an old coin that wasn't deep", blah blah. But .... realistically speaking: It's going to be a modern penny or zinc.

.... :)

I am one of the many “someones” who digs those signals and have found more than on one occasion awesome rewards.

Don’t dig those signals! More for the rest of us.

Now.... Where is that old park where you leave penny signals behind, I’m sure there are a few members within driving distance from that would not mind digging “those penny signals” since you don’t want them anyway.

To hesitate in giving the address will prove that you are not 100% sure that the VDI/tone from your detctor is “Gospel”

Cheers and as always I enjoy your input

WaterScoop

0551F6BC-BB9F-483F-8FAE-19B37F716254.jpeg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I lost 50 Lbs. and got into better shape. I can now dig all of the targets, and my finds have increased dramatically. If you are too old, I understand, if you just want to piddle, I understand that too. If you want to find the good stuff, you should dig every repeatable signal. The machine is not as smart as the shovel.

I got two gold rings last weekend, a three ringer, 3x 925 and 4 silver coins.

Best of luck to you sir!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost 50 Lbs. and got into better shape. I can now dig all of the targets, and my finds have increased dramatically. If you are too old, I understand, if you just want to piddle, I understand that too. If you want to find the good stuff, you should dig every repeatable signal. The machine is not as smart as the shovel.

I got two gold rings last weekend, a three ringer, 3x 925 and 4 silver coins.

Best of luck to you sir!

9D063892-7125-486E-ADBD-EF53491CCED7.gif

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't pass targets based on response, pass base on depth. shallow targets are 99% going to be modern coins and trash. If its deep, dig everything that isnt iron. You will have to investigate what depth marks that depth line for every site.

I would think that plowed fields would be the exception to this rule?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that plowed fields would be the exception to this rule?

Oh, yeah :BangHead:

Thats what happens you get tunnel vision on a post. I was replying purely in a park / yard scenario. Every depth is fair game in farm fields, but if someone is skipping any conductive targets in that setting they are missing great finds.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I have a Garrett AT Pro. Dimes bounce 80-85, copper pennies upper 70s to low 80s. Copper pennies would be worth 3 cents each (minimum) of it was legal to melt them. Like most detectors, Ace 400 or AT Pro should be able to tell the difference if it is zinc penny rather than copper penny/dime. Best wishes.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey gang, great discussion. Here's an example in real life that happened to me :

Met a fellow on an md'ing forum who lived about an hour from me. We were corresponding about a particular park in his city. Where I had pulled oldies from over the years. We decided to meet up for a hunt there. In the discussion leading up to the hunt, I mentioned that I pass shallow coins and low conductors (kiss nickels and gold rings goodbye).

The fellow BRISTLED at this notion. Saying: "But you could miss a gold ring". And "but sometimes an old coin *could* be shallow". And "why pass clad ? It adds up after all", etc...

We met, and the results were predictable: Me: 5 or 6 oldies (barber dime, merc, several wheaties, etc...). And perhaps 2 or 3 clad (deeper dimes on edge that fooled me), and next to zero trash. Him : 30-ish clad coins , zero old coins, 50-ish trash items (tabs, foil wads, blah blah).

So you see: Sometimes it's not possible to have "the best of both worlds". Sometimes you do have to play the Las Vegas odds. This wouldn't apply to relicky ghost townsy sites, beaches, plowed fields, etc... though.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Go ahead, pass up pennies. Might not happen in your lifetime but A solid zinc penny signal in a park got me this:

I am quite sure others passed it up but will never know for certain. I don't pass any signals in most places. Sometimes diving I get sick of WW1 bullets and pass them up but I know I will be back to dig them because I am the only one that hunts there and that deep.

You will NEVER know what you are not digging unless you dig it all. One day someone you will never know or see will thank you for passing up a signal. I guarantee it.

OP
OP
bayhawk2

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Interesting replies guys.You got me thinking.I like the (if it's deep,dig it.).That is good advise.My ACE does tell me that.I'll
take that up with the " how my old knees feel at the time".Good stuff guys.Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread