Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: I give up on pennies,just not worth it.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    out for the big treasure

Jan 2014
    Texas
    Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
    37 times
    Shipwrecks

I give up on pennies,just not worth it.

Just getting back in the 'detectorist' hobby.I had gotten rid of my old Compass Relic Magnum 7 years ago.
    My son bought me a cheap detector a year or so back and I got the fever back.Now I know
    my new one I just bought is still considered cheap,but it beats my old Compass a hundred times over.
    I got a Garrett ACE 400.Bought the 5X8 searchcoil to replace the 8.5X11.And wah lah.Excellent.
    My old detector discriminated and had ground balance,but no comparison.
    Now back to my subject.This ACE 400,with it's digital number readings,let's you know 80% of
    the time what object you are reading.Something my old Compass just would not do.
    So.With experience and repetition I almost can tell you a penny is down there.Yes,I know
    it may be a wheatie or something else,but,80% chance it's a penny.Just not worth the time.
    So with this,new to me tech, in the metal detectors,I pick and choose.I know the numbers.What it
    might be.What it most likely is.So penny,I may dig you up,but it will be by an iffy signal.One that
    says dig.Ok.So that's my 2 cents..).Let me know what you guys think..
    Johncoho, Honest Samuel and TerryC like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    13837 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    When you begin using the ACE, dig every solid signal you get, don't forget what you learned using your old Compass - the sounds tell a story too.

My last hunt, I was using a Tesoro Tejon versus my CTX. I searched a spot I'd hit before with the CTX, and I found my first gold in 30 years. I checked that 10k gold ear thingy with my CTX.

If I did sweep over that target with the CTX, I probably would not have dug it based on the ID numbers CTX gave me.
    Last edited by DeepseekerADS; Jan 11, 2018 at 09:23 PM.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    8589 times
    Metal Detecting
    Since my knee surgery I have had days I pass on cents. DEFINATELY the Zincons. Even CoinStar won't bother accepting them.
    Slingshot and TerryC like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    15289 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That my friend is what we call "Cherry Picking"
    Congrats on your new ACE 400.
    sprailroad, TerryC and RW like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Apr 2004
    Appalachia East Tennessee
    BH Pioneer 202, Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function
    922 times
    Sometimes I dig everything from foil on up looking for the yellow metal, but 90% of my digging now is in max discriminate, gotta love those clad quarters, and the only pennies I get on those days are either on the surface, or part of a multiple coin spill. I'm leaving the IHP's, Wheats, and other cents for the newer diggers.
    TerryC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden ÁMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3205 times
    I dig everything except iron! Don’t get lazy because you will miss gold as a result especially when it comes to pull tabs and crown caps.

Scope out high trash areas like next to a trash cans and keep away..you know you will find “crap” so stay away from trash cans in a park .
    That’s if you Park hunt of course.

If you want to dig clad vs. gold then that’s another discussion for another thread.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54E592C6-94CD-4CE6-95AC-7B69EEF23EA6.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	1536057
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
    2325 times
    Some days I skip zincoln signals, some days I dig them. Just depends on my mood or how tired I am.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    2030 times
    A heap of different opinions and feelings on this site, none bad, just interesting. I've read in other threads how important it is to methodically clear a site of all trash, etc. in order to be able to hear more subtle, possibly killer targets. How these old knees feel on a particular day has a lot to do with how thorough I am. I wish I had taken up this hobby when I was 12.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8474 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    If I'm in an urban old-town park, I do indeed pass surface modern pennies and surface zinc. Someone (as seen in the replies so far) is sure to point out: "It might be a giant fat gold ring", or "it might be an old coin that wasn't deep", blah blah. But .... realistically speaking: It's going to be a modern penny or zinc.

So it's kind of like blackjack in Las Vegas: If you have 20 in your hand, do you "hold" or do you take another hit ? After all, the next card *might* be a one card. But odds are: It's not. So you're better off playing the odds and going for signals more-to-your liking.

This is also a question of location. I can think of ghost-townsy spots (all human activity gone by 1900) where we GLEEFULLY dig penny/dime signals, knowing they're likely going to be seateds or whatever

us
    Jan 2017
    Troy Missouri
    183 times
    I dig everything. On occasion if I'm in a hurry and just looking to temporarily pacify my obsession, I will pass on some signals, but if I do, I will mark the location and come back another day and dig them.

us
    Oct 2009
    6996 times
    Don't pass targets based on response, pass base on depth. shallow targets are 99% going to be modern coins and trash. If its deep, dig everything that isnt iron. You will have to investigate what depth marks that depth line for every site.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden ÁMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    ...Someone (as seen in the replies so far) is sure to point out: "It might be a giant fat gold ring", or "it might be an old coin that wasn't deep", blah blah. But .... realistically speaking: It's going to be a modern penny or zinc.

I am one of the many “someones” who digs those signals and have found more than on one occasion awesome rewards.

Don’t dig those signals! More for the rest of us.

Now.... Where is that old park where you leave penny signals behind, I’m sure there are a few members within driving distance from that would not mind digging “those penny signals” since you don’t want them anyway.

To hesitate in giving the address will prove that you are not 100% sure that the VDI/tone from your detctor is “Gospel”

Cheers and as always I enjoy your input

WaterScoop

Name:	0551F6BC-BB9F-483F-8FAE-19B37F716254.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	1536159

us
    Silver Coin Fiend

Apr 2014
    Charlotte
    XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
    13211 times
    Digging In Strangers Front Yards
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I lost 50 Lbs. and got into better shape. I can now dig all of the targets, and my finds have increased dramatically. If you are too old, I understand, if you just want to piddle, I understand that too. If you want to find the good stuff, you should dig every repeatable signal. The machine is not as smart as the shovel.

I got two gold rings last weekend, a three ringer, 3x 925 and 4 silver coins.

Best of luck to you sir!

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    3205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Tom View Post
    I lost 50 Lbs. and got into better shape. I can now dig all of the targets, and my finds have increased dramatically. If you are too old, I understand, if you just want to piddle, I understand that too. If you want to find the good stuff, you should dig every repeatable signal. The machine is not as smart as the shovel.

I got two gold rings last weekend, a three ringer, 3x 925 and 4 silver coins.

Best of luck to you sir!

Name:	9D063892-7125-486E-ADBD-EF53491CCED7.gif 
Views:	132 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	1536166
    Carolina Tom and TerryC like this.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    2030 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Don't pass targets based on response, pass base on depth. shallow targets are 99% going to be modern coins and trash. If its deep, dig everything that isnt iron. You will have to investigate what depth marks that depth line for every site.
    I would think that plowed fields would be the exception to this rule?
    Tom_in_CA, TerryC and sprailroad like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links