So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last weekend I planned on going to the beach to do some detecting, everthing was set, had full tank of gas, spare batteries for the detector etc....

I am just a few hundred feet from the freeway onramp and my Battery/Electrical gauge on my van starts bouncing up and down and Im like WTF? :icon_scratch: It did this a few

months ago but stopped........... I said to myself, screw it, keep going :headbang:......... and I did. Made it there and back with no problems.......... As far as finds, just 90 cents

in clad and a pocket full of junk :tongue3:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep an eye on your instrument cluster, if your gauges start to go on the fritz it could be an alternator about to give up the ghost. Id have both the alternator and battery tested, most auto parts stores will test both free of charge if you don't have access to a multimeter.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
A battery shouldn't fluctuate like that. Since you stated it did this a few months ago and then stopped, the first thing to do is check for a loose connection, then the second would be to have the alternator tested and if you do go to an auto parts store, might as well as have them do the battery at the same time just for peace of mind. Myself, I just don't have faith in those auto parts personnel keeping "Neutral". Just my bad experiences in the past, but you might have better luck, ( mine was from a different time and different people ).

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Battery is probably shorting out internally as over time the lead plates inside start to break down. Time for a new battery IMHO.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If not battery or alternator, check the brain.......
Do they still have electronic brains in cars? :dontknow: :laughing7:
I know they used to be expensive to have to replace. :BangHead:

GL & HH! :cat:

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it a Chevrolet? They had an issue with the stepper motors in the instrument cluster. Have rebuilt a few of them over the years.

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a 81 Chevy pick up that the gauge did the same , ended up being the gauge itself... ,but those were the days when vehicles were a lot easier to work on..i usually go to the auto wreckers to get some parts ,a lot cheaper for sure and the one I go to does guarantee parts for 90 days I would also look for any bad grounds

OP
OP
N

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually my point was that I was determined to go detecting. 8-)
On Saturday I ended up getting a new battery, time will tell if that was the issue or not.
I also had my charging system checked and the alternator is charging fine.
I am constantly doing things to keep my van running, but thanks for the advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread