ever returned it?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
One time I had permission to hit a yard. When done, I went to show the homeowner all the various coins and nicknacks. One of which was a dog tag . I showed them that, and read the name of the dog on there. The person became un-glued with disdain, alert, etc....

Then told me they buried their family dog 20-ish years earlier in the backyard. And .... I guess. I'd found the collar license that they had buried their beloved pet with. Ooops. :icon_scratch: I don't recall seeing any bones when I'd dug that signal. Aarrgghh.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Tom, some days you can't do anything right!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time I had permission to hit a yard. When done, I went to show the homeowner all the various coins and nicknacks. One of which was a dog tag . I showed them that, and read the name of the dog on there. The person became un-glued with disdain, alert, etc....

Then told me they buried their family dog 20-ish years earlier in the backyard. And .... I guess. I'd found the collar license that they had buried their beloved pet with. Ooops. :icon_scratch: I don't recall seeing any bones when I'd dug that signal. Aarrgghh.

Ouch! Permission revoked... :dontknow:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a cremation tag on a beach, put it right back and covered it

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up a few dog tags on private property but never showed those tags to anyone. I did search a property to try to find a lost silver ring. During that search, I came across 2 clearly marked pet graves. I usually stay clear of searching any ground that has a grave marker.
Did you re-bury the tag??

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me. No dead pets, no cremation tags.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up taking some things I dug up at one particular site. After talking with a friend, we agreed I had dug up the remains of a leather jacket that had some medals and other awards buried with it. The give-away was the buttons and associated hardware that I found also. We were 99.99% convinced that it had been buried there for a reason, and it surely wasn't for me to dig up and take home. So back it went, dug the old plugs up and ceremoniously deposited everything as found. Ddf

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Came across buried pets in a 400 acre park (mostly in the ravines and forested areas) in the city that I detected in for many years. When there was a cage-stay away was the motto, and that went with any bones that were in a hole also, just put the item back covered it up, put a rock on top as a marker to remember it again if I detected the spot a few years later.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F445EE42-28F7-45D4-96E2-DA6D4DC2BD3B.jpeg I just found this plastic St. Joseph yesterday....when I accidentally found it, I noticed it was perfectly upside down. I showed the homeowner, he had no idea what it was, gave me the blessing(pun) to keep it....
I didn’t think anything of it, till last nite my wife looked it up online.....
Turns out this statue was likely buried upside intentionally, to bring good luck to the homeowner....
But then more research reveals that there were other, mostly modern superstitious traditions, to help sell a house quickly...that sort of thing.
So, I’ll keep it for now, then I’ll plant him when we decide to sell our house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread