Recycling a whole new world as of Jan.1.18

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
"There may come a day when recycling aluminum and glass is cheaper than extracting them from the environment, and when that day comes, we know just where to get a butt-ton of this stuff"

The recycling of Aluminum has been well in place for decades and well documented that it only takes 5% of the energy to remelt than produce. So 95% of the energy is a net gain and that is a huge savings to the world. In the US alone alum. cans are the biggest source of recycled alum.

Glass facts:
Glass Recycling Statistics

• Glass bottles and jars are 100% recyclable and can be recycled endlessly without any loss in purity or quality.
  • The container and fiberglass industries collectively purchase 3 million tons of recycled glass annually, which is remelted and repurposed for use in the production of new containers and fiberglass products.
  • Over a ton of natural resources are saved for every ton of glass recycled.
  • Energy costs drop about 2-3% for every 10% cullet used in the manufacturing process.
  • One ton of carbon dioxide is reduced for every six tons of recycled container glass used in the manufacturing process.
  • There are 46 glass manufacturing plants operating in 22 states. 16 companies operate 51 glass beneficiating facilties (aka "glass processing" plants) in 27 states. At the glass processing plants, recycled glass is further cleaned and sorted to spec, then resold to the glass container manfuacturing companies for remelting into new food and beverage containers.

• In 2013, 41.3% of beer and soft drink bottles were recovered for recycling, according to the U.S. EPA. Another 34.5% of wine and liquor bottles and 15% of food and other glass jars were recycled. In total, 34% of all glass containers were recycled, equivalent to taking 210,000 cars off the road each year.
  • States with container deposit legislation have an average glass container recycling rate of just over 63%, while non-deposit states only reach about 24%, according to the Container Recycling Institute.
  • Beverage container deposit systems provide 11 to 38 times more direct jobs than curbside recycling systems for beverage containers. (Source: The Container Recycling Institute, "Returning to Work: Understanding the Jobs Impacts from Different Methods of Recycling Beveage Containers").
  • About 18% of beverages are consumed on premise, like a bar, restaurant, or hotel. And glass makes up to about 80% of that container mix.
  • In 2008, NC passed a law requiring all Alcohol Beverage Permit holders to recycle their beverage containers. Since then, they have boosted the amount of glass bottles recovered for recycling from about 45,000 tons/year before the ABC law to more than 86,000 tons in 2011.
  • Glass bottles have been reduced in weight approximately 40% over the past 30 years.
  • Recycled glass is substituted for up to 95% of raw materials.
  • Manufacturers benefit from recycling in several ways—it reduces emissions and consumption of raw materials, extends the life of plant equipment, such as furnaces, and saves energy.
  • An estimated 80% of all glass containers recovered for recycling are remelted in furnaces, and used in the manufacture of new glass containers. Source, Strategic Materials, Inc.
  • Recycling 1,000 tons of glass creates slightly over 8 jobs. (Source: 2011 Container Recycling Institute).

As I've said, I'm fine with recycling, but I'm not sure that I'm fine with the government subsidizing it. Things that make financial sense only when subsidized by the government do not actually make financial sense for the most part.

Also: #14: Recycling Is a Waste | Big Think

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's why I leave all my packaging at the store, I just don't want to deal with it at home and the rest gets burned in my barrel or wood stove. Such a waste of time and money. I also dispose of all my trash that I don't burn in town. There are dumpsters everywhere behind every business and the car wash and gas station.
I haven't paid for trash service since 05.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions