So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a couple spots to detect but too many people around. I happened upon this old looking house and right next to it was another old house and I looked up and

there was a sign " Historical Point of Interest built 1903" It didnt say historical landmark, I looked it up online and its not a landmark.

There are two dirt areas between it and the curb but hunting the dirt area would be dicey, or exciting depending on how you look at it :laughing7:

This was one of my old tactics to simply drive around early morning on the weekend to different areas/cities looking for construction sites to hunt the grass strip or

places that look like they have never been hunted.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if it says historical landmark you can still hunt it with permission...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do some driving during the season to look for potential sites. What make you think it was not cherry picked in the past? People have been swinging the coil in my area since the 1970's.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do some driving during the season to look for potential sites. What make you think it was not cherry picked in the past? People have been swinging the coil in my area since the 1970's.

So agree LD.

Its simple math, 50 yrs folks having driving up and down the street looking at the same patch of ground to detect. Simple logic says it has been already hit to some extent, but there's still a missed pocket here and there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very true Loco-Digger, but I like you will give it a try anyway! :occasion14:

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to carry a orange construction safety vest in my truck and when the city would tear up a old sidewalk, I would go after hours and put the vest on and search. You look "official" with a orange vest on. Iv'e had city vehicles honk and wave as they go by. I AGREE %100 about getting permission for old yards but Iv'e found out to that wearing that vest even when I had permission is great. NO ONE will give you a second look.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though many of my permissions have been cherry picked over the decades. Today's detectors are better and go deeper than those in the earlier decades and I seem to find the treasures using the sniper coil in the trashier areas, or where trees and shrubs have been removed after the site was cherry picked.

OP
OP
N

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would never detect private property without permission, I was referring to the strip between the sidewalk and curb. Its unlikely this has been detected (not 100% though) because its on a small side street that you have to really pay attention to.

Ive done the orange vest thing and it definately works, I once had a lady ask me when we were going to finish fixing the sidewalk, :laughing7:LOL. and I had to fill her in that I didnt work for the city.
I did feel like I was doing something wrong though.:angel3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions