looking for small detector

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in some rough country with lots of cliffs and overhangs ,most of the time ,well my whole life im in the woods. seeing that im allways poking around these cliffs looking for arrowheads and stuff im wanting to detect some, but i dont want to carry along a bigger detector because i walk several miles at a time . was thinking of one of them security type detectors or cutting down a big one and modifying it, but was afraid of getting the control box to close to the coil, dont know how that will work out. would like something i could carry in my back pocket or a big coat pocket ,any body have any suggestions. would like something that would at lest get me down 3 or 4 inches.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pinpointer is all that comes to mind if you dont need any discrimination.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Minelab has a pinpointer that gives both ferrous and non-ferrous tones, and will fit in a back pocket.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a telescopic handle, collapsible headphones, and pocket sized remote, the XP DEUS is almost weightless, but I guess going with a top of the line detector has a lot to do with your budget.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If not XP Deus $1500 then Tesoro Compadre $150. Might even prefer a cut down Compadre in your situation.

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone , no the Deus is just a little pricy , but you guys give me some good options , dos anybody know how close you can get the coil before you have troubles. again thanks.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks everyone , no the Deus is just a little pricy , but you guys give me some good options , dos anybody know how close you can get the coil before you have troubles. again thanks.

The control box? Pretty close. If you think about it, the wire runs all the way to the coil. Wire is metal that is easily detected, but if it is moving same as the coil and not flopping around, no worries.

Check this out:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...-tesoro-compadre-converted-compadre-mini.html

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes thanks RW ,i believe i found the same guy on youtube , i really like the detector he came up with.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If I did the Compadre, I would still go with the 5.75" coil hardwired to the control box. Whatever choice you make, keep us posted on what you decide. Always interesting.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is one that I have been eyeballing for some time now

Vibra-Tector 740 PI

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions