Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a fireball in Pennsylvania while sitting around the fire ring in my neighbor's yard last summer. Lit up the sky. I know that some people who have been lucky enough to recover a meteorite, made a nice profit when they sold it.
How much are meteorites worth?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I saw the flash of light reflect through the window and heard the explosion last night. It is actually a sign that winter will only last another 200 days here. Kinda like Ground Hog Day!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool, saw that on the news today. I've seen a few in my lifetime that lit up everything like daytime, but never found a piece of one. Luckily no false incoming missile alerts went out, haha!

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one out here a year ago that looked like it may have come down not too far west of us. No boom though, just a bright streak of light. I'd sure like to find a big chunk of iron meteorite though, I saw a really nice looking knife blade made from a meteorite

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
You called it Nola Ken. A Mr. Robert Ward found THREE CHUNKS of space rock near Hamburg Township Michigan.
Saw it in the News this morning (JP Time / few minutes ago)

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since people have been finding small pieces of the meteorite, I decided I had to at least get out there too. Most of the specimens have been found on the frozen lakes covered in snow, so that shouldn't be too hard to spot them. The first lake I tried, I didn't see anything even close, just a few leaves. When the ice started to crack, I decided to hit a local park. The soccer fields on the park were covered with tracks from other people, so I moved off into the woods and figured I had to basically look for any disturbance in the snow that resembled a small rock passing through the snow.

I finally found a hole in the snow that appeared to have been formed by something that was warm. I carefully removed the snow and found nothing at the ground level. It finally dawned on me, the hole was from a mouse! Dang!

meteorite_hole.jpg

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a fireball in Pennsylvania while sitting around the fire ring in my neighbor's yard last summer. Lit up the sky. I know that some people who have been lucky enough to recover a meteorite, made a nice profit when they sold it.
How much are meteorites worth?

Depending on the type, they can be worth more than equivalent weight in gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread