Archeologists and Detectorist Aren't Always Friends

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tom in CA post # 31. You had a "civil conversation" with an "Archeologist" ?......I vote Banner.

Haha, yes. Despite my unhealthy fascination and "bee-in-the-bonnet" to want to know the psychology of this. In order to get to the "root of the issue" I behaved myself . To reduce it to a single statement. And study JUST THAT STATEMENT. Get past the name-calling, etc...

So I peppered the conversation with apologies for the admitted past sins that some md'rs do indeed do. And apologies for the admitted locker room talk. And admissions that ... yes it would be cool if every single old item in the ground were for all-the public to benefit by, keep in context , etc...

So once we got past those "givens", I asked him if we could reduce the statement to : "Hobbyist level metal detecting is evil". ? And it went from there. It's all on a blog of his, if anyone is interested to see it. He was kind enough to allow an md'r to chime in from an md'rs point of view. And as anyone here knows: I'm as boisterous for the cause of "help yourself" md'ing as they come. Doh!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"He said the guy over his club made the rule"?

That doen't sound legal and binding to me... I can make any "rule" I want, but that doesn't mean anyone has to abide by it, just ask my two year old daughter about that.... If the site is not posted or otherwise marked as prohibited, and you have permission, or don't need permission to be there, dig away

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Just tell him you’re looking for grandma’s ring, but leave out the part where she lost it 200 years ago and she ain’t your grandma.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just tell him you’re looking for grandma’s ring, but leave out the part where she lost it 200 years ago and she ain’t your grandma.

Sounds good to me. My great grandfather lost a V-nickel and barber dime right around here, according to his diary we just found in the attic.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good to me. My great grandfather lost a V-nickel and barber dime right around here, according to his diary we just found in the attic.

And not only that, but I myself should be protected under the antiquities act, being well over the 50yr old mark. In that I should be left un-disturbed while detecting.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my finds are random finds and not a historical site. That's what the archies don't get. For example, the other day I found a Rev War era stirrup. Checked around that spot for many hours, but that's all that was there. A random relic that was lost over 200 years ago. No need to mark it off and research it. Nothing historical about the spot, just the find. End of story and now I'll move on to the next spot.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But in the eyes of the archies, EVERYTHING is a historic site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread