You see another person detecting so you go say hi. What was your experience ?

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've met a few. Mostly old timers that want to impress me and make it seem like they've dug so much out of the park as to make it futile for me to even hunt there lol.

I always go up and chat with other detectorists when I see them. [Which isn't often] After a cordial conversation and if I have an immediate liking of the person, I'll sorta hint around about hunting together. Would be nice to have a reliable digging partner for a little competition once in a while, but most guys seem pretty against any sort of occasional team effort.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like hearing what you all have to say so keep on posting.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im working on getting some detecting friends. only really have one, but trying to learn all i can without seeming like a stalker...:tongue3:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PARKS, SCHOOLS, PUBLIC PROPERTY

Plenty of treasure out there with so many hunters not wanting to dig pull tabs, crowns, and pennies . Find one of those guys/gals in conversation and ask what locations they’ve detected then go clean up.

BEACHES

It’s a big beach you have dry sand and wet sand hunters. I am surprised by the number of hunters on the beach that don’t understand what a “towel line” is or what a “nice cut” means. These guys/gals also usually dont like pull tabs either so they discriminate them out.

RELIC HUNTERS

A different class by all by themselves ... since most of them hunt on private property with permissions not too many other Hunters walk up and start chit chat on Private Property with you.

I am friendly to all, even the ones that cross the Columbia River from Portland and Detect my Parks & Schools In Vancouver..LOL

4E36D64C-2FAA-47A5-9883-433B3CAD38F2.jpeg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a good post here with the subject of hunting partners. I am an almost 62 year old relic hunter from Georgia. I have hunted off and on for around 36 years. When I was younger I would go by myself in a minute if I had to and think nothing of it. Now, sadly as it may be, Crime is everywhere. There are some places we used to hunt where I know relics can still be found, but we no longer go there due to the everyday violence that occurs in this area. About 2 years ago a lone hunter using headphones was hunting this same area bent over digging a target with his back turned, when he was rendered unconscious by a group of Thug's. Luckily, they didn't kill him, but when he awoke everything he had with him had been liberated....including his vehicle. Today in my opinion and especially depending on the area you hunt, hunting with two or more is not only fun, but more safe. Thug's appear to be more bold and brash if they believe there is only one victim, but are somewhat more reluctant if they believe there are more than one. And then if they so choose to commit crimes against you, that is when plan B goes into affect. Your Lil' Concealed Friend.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I'm going to be honest here. If I am out detecting and I see a fellow detectorist AND I have time I will talk with them. If it's a hot chick metal detecting or not, I will talk to them :) Hows that for truth?

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, i was approached but they wasent mean or angry ,i think they wanted a detector, it was a car load of Mexicans that i could not understand much , the little chubby one keep saying find money ,i say yes, she says lots i say yes, they all start jabbering and laughing and she says how much, how much , i showed her a pocket full of penny's ,they laughed jabbered and drove off. I later was telling a migrate worker and he laughed and said the story about the US in Mexico was you can rake money up off the streets here. i know thats not dramatic but its all i had.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been at Bear Creek park a lot of times and it used to be a hangout for the white drunks every day.
Now it's black people from other countries. I had a few approach me and ask a few questions.
I fell safe with my Lesche Samson Shovel.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Im always meting people and fellow detectorist on the beach. If their close by eventually i will head in their direction to say hi. Have met all types of people and experience levels from pro to first timers. Some I keep running into year after year. We look out for each other. Last summer one kept an eye on me when I told him I wasn’t feeling well.
But for me meeting people is part of the fun of detecting the beach. Have a lot of stories because of it. To many to tell here. Obviously common sense tells you that if someone doesn't want to engage in chit chat cause their busy, respectfully give them a cheery "good luck" and go back to detecting.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wandering if any one else has a detecting partner and when some other detecting person comes along do you tell them i have a detecting partner.
So your detecting partner is like a marriage. I can not cheat on my detecting partner.
It sounds like a bond between to married people.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've met a few. Mostly old timers that want to impress me and make it seem like they've dug so much out of the park as to make it futile for me to even hunt there lol.

I always go up and chat with other detectorists when I see them. [Which isn't often] After a cordial conversation and if I have an immediate liking of the person, I'll sorta hint around about hunting together. Would be nice to have a reliable digging partner for a little competition once in a while, but most guys seem pretty against any sort of occasional team effort.

bet people would hunt with you if you were female

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've met some pretty cool people in parks while detecting. I would invite them to meet me at some spots I have researched. If I like you, I will hang out with you.

Last edited:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So rodgerdodger....you are out detecting and other detectorists are dodging you? Maybe it’s the name? [emoji6] Mostly others have been friendly although I do remember a beach detectorist that seemed to be on a mission. Beach detecting sometimes requires quick work to work with the tides as I understand it so I get that. Claiming a public place as “theirs” I don’t get. I don’t have a partner but am not against having one...I find that I do spur of the moment hunts when I have time and am near a location or permission. Good luck!

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only met other detectorists once. There was another couple on langkawi. Me and my girl detect together a lot but only have one machine. She helps not dig everything cause I'm a nut like that. The guy was Russian and not very talkative but his wife was great. I would never turn down an opportunity for a chat and maybe something new. What machine? Whatcha findin? Where ya been? I would love to meet someone who claims parks or beaches. I have only meet fancy resort security who I shame pretty bad for telling me to leave. Most of the time I win the argument by being nice and reasonable and showing the broken bottle tops and light bulbs and once I got a needle but sometimes I wait for them to get super hostile and call the cops.......then I walk away. Security the world over have nothing better to do than get angered by me........another couple detecting buds would be great.....find out if an area is good or bad faster

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread