SO WHOS GOIN TO MICHIGAN TO SEARCH FOR METEORITES ?

Norcal Digger

Jan 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m a meteorite hunter and can offer a few suggestions to those looking to hunt. Attached is a picture of the current fall area.
IMG_0720.JPG
Pieces have already been found. If you’re looking to hunt the area I would suggest finding large flat public areas. Scan the ground and look for rocks that standout, they will be black. Using a magnifying glass look for signs of melting on the surface.

I think the snow could be the biggest hinderance to hunting. Normally you wouldn’t need a metal detector for a fresh fall but with the snow they may be necessary.

The value will depend on the type. I found one a few years ago that weight 5g and I got around $15k for it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m a meteorite hunter and can offer a few suggestions to those looking to hunt. Attached is a picture of the current fall area.
View attachment 1538456
Pieces have already been found. If you’re looking to hunt the area I would suggest finding large flat public areas. Scan the ground and look for rocks that standout, they will be black. Using a magnifying glass look for signs of melting on the surface.

I think the snow could be the biggest hinderance to hunting. Normally you wouldn’t need a metal detector for a fresh fall but with the snow they may be necessary.

The value will depend on the type. I found one a few years ago that weight 5g and I got around $15k for it.

Ironic that the park I got kicked-out of last year for detecting is on the fringe area of where the current fall area in NorCal Digger's post. Now they will have to change the sign to say, "No Looking for Meteorites"!

2018-01-18.png

Detecting Sign.jpg

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Living about 50 miles from supposed impact we are bombarded by local news stations on this. I just saw a clip on the news, several people in a field with metal detectors, about a foot off the ground, swinging them like weed wackers, while they were speed walking??? One looked like the coil was on backwards:laughing7:

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Think about it this way.

if your car is hit by a Meteorite it is worth $100,000.00 to a Collector.

Imagine how much you could get if an Asteroid hits it :coffee2:

i can only hope, its 25 years old now. i pray before i drive it it gets me where i want to go that day. i feel like Al Bundy its a dodge !

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
Living about 50 miles from supposed impact we are bombarded by local news stations on this. I just saw a clip on the news, several people in a field with metal detectors, about a foot off the ground, swinging them like weed wackers, while they were speed walking??? One looked like the coil was on backwards:laughing7:

oh damn. i'd like to see that ! no video link ?

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
Ironic that the park I got kicked-out of last year for detecting is on the fringe area of where the current fall area in NorCal Digger's post. Now they will have to change the sign to say, "No Looking for Meteorites"!

View attachment 1538509

View attachment 1538510

how long before it reads no rednecks allowed ? i should think that would be discrimination though !

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now there's something new. Never thought of putting a coil on backwards. I guess, if it works, why not? (just a thought) ╦╦Ç

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there's something new. Never thought of putting a coil on backwards. I guess, if it works, why not? (just a thought) ╦╦Ç

You are supposed to walk backward when detecting right?

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used

I hear there is another as large as a house on its way

i experienced this back in 88" down by Kentucky lake i was sittin on a dock trying my hand night fishin for crappies. it was a beutiful night big puffy clouds in the sky. the wind was calm so quiet you coulda heard a minnow fart. it was about midnight. i was sittin there all by my lonesome and it started getting brighter and brighter i didnt know what was happening as ii looked almost straight above i could see something enter the cloud wether it was a meteor or space junk it got as bright as daylight. it didnt seem to come out of the cloud i was waiting to hear a splash in the water. but it did'nt happen. it most likely was space junk. who knows how much space junk is out there floating around ? tons ?

rassberi

Jan 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1538456

I might go looking this weekend. does the red on the map mean that is where the most debris is?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im already here ill keep my eye out I hope i can still see with one eye

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
ok so the story was there were guys out there swinging their metal detectors like weed wackers ? so where are the finds ? where are the videos ? inquiring minds want to know ?

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went up there the Saturday after the fireball. Co-worker caught the fall on his dashcam (all the way from South Bend IN), for some reason AMS site keeps deleting it when I try to upload it. Found some pieces of fusion crust in Howell area:
fullsizeoutput_348e.jpeg
Looked more black when on top of the snow on the lake. No tracks of any kind anywhere near the pieces. Ruined a couple pieces while inspecting them.

Video of the 2018 MI fireball:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went up there the Saturday after the fireball. Co-worker caught the fall on his dashcam (all the way from South Bend IN), for some reason AMS site keeps deleting it when I try to upload it. Found some pieces of fusion crust in Howell area:
View attachment 1543117
Looked more black when on top of the snow on the lake. No tracks of any kind anywhere near the pieces. Ruined a couple pieces while inspecting them.

You did better than I did! I talked to a buddy that's west of the fall area and his yard was covered with hundreds of black specs, about 1/4" in size or less that were laying on the snow. Possibly ash from the explosion that blew westerly. I didn't go over to check it out and a day later, we lost all the snow!

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wished I coulda gone sooner, but didn’t work out. Lot’s of people were out walking the lakes lookin Saturday. Talked to some ice fishermen on Ore Lake, they knew of a few nice meteorites found on the ice there, which was South of Brighton and the projected trajectory line map. No luck on Lake Chemung, Bishop or Chilson, pieces pictured were on Thompson Lake in Howell.

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
they had one of the meteorites posted on the front page of the A+E section of the chicago tribune today

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
View attachment 1543117

cool ! thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread