Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: SO WHOS GOIN TO MICHIGAN TO SEARCH FOR METEORITES ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    16802 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It will pass Earth on February 4th at a distance of more tha 2.6 million miles.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post

I hear there is another as large as a house on its way
    i experienced this back in 88" down by Kentucky lake i was sittin on a dock trying my hand night fishin for crappies. it was a beutiful night big puffy clouds in the sky. the wind was calm so quiet you coulda heard a minnow fart. it was about midnight. i was sittin there all by my lonesome and it started getting brighter and brighter i didnt know what was happening as ii looked almost straight above i could see something enter the cloud wether it was a meteor or space junk it got as bright as daylight. it didnt seem to come out of the cloud i was waiting to hear a splash in the water. but it did'nt happen. it most likely was space junk. who knows how much space junk is out there floating around ? tons ?

Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal Digger View Post
    Iím a meteorite hunter and can offer a few suggestions to those looking to hunt. Attached is a picture of the current fall area.
    Attachment 1538456
    Pieces have already been found. If youíre looking to hunt the area I would suggest finding large flat public areas. Scan the ground and look for rocks that standout, they will be black. Using a magnifying glass look for signs of melting on the surface.

I think the snow could be the biggest hinderance to hunting. Normally you wouldnít need a metal detector for a fresh fall but with the snow they may be necessary.

The value will depend on the type. I found one a few years ago that weight 5g and I got around $15k for it.
    I might go looking this weekend. does the red on the map mean that is where the most debris is?

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT PRO Nel Attack Coil
    7247 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    im already here ill keep my eye out I hope i can still see with one eye
    fistfulladirt likes this.
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    285 times
    ok so the story was there were guys out there swinging their metal detectors like weed wackers ? so where are the finds ? where are the videos ? inquiring minds want to know ?

us
    UABFWSS

Feb 2010
    Indiana/Michigan border
    ~Garrett AT Max'~ Cors coils, Lesche Sampson Fiskars shovels/diggers, Stealth 720 RC scoop, Vibra-probe 585
    154 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Went up there the Saturday after the fireball. Co-worker caught the fall on his dashcam (all the way from South Bend IN), for some reason AMS site keeps deleting it when I try to upload it. Found some pieces of fusion crust in Howell area:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_348e.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1,001.4 KB 
ID:	1543117
    Looked more black when on top of the snow on the lake. No tracks of any kind anywhere near the pieces. Ruined a couple pieces while inspecting them.

Video of the 2018 MI fireball: https://imgur.com/a/JhpTz

Aug 2016
    MI
    ETRAC
    1608 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rc2125 View Post
    Went up there the Saturday after the fireball. Co-worker caught the fall on his dashcam (all the way from South Bend IN), for some reason AMS site keeps deleting it when I try to upload it. Found some pieces of fusion crust in Howell area:

Looked more black when on top of the snow on the lake. No tracks of any kind anywhere near the pieces. Ruined a couple pieces while inspecting them.

You did better than I did! I talked to a buddy that's west of the fall area and his yard was covered with hundreds of black specs, about 1/4" in size or less that were laying on the snow. Possibly ash from the explosion that blew westerly. I didn't go over to check it out and a day later, we lost all the snow!

us
    UABFWSS

Feb 2010
    Indiana/Michigan border
    ~Garrett AT Max'~ Cors coils, Lesche Sampson Fiskars shovels/diggers, Stealth 720 RC scoop, Vibra-probe 585
    154 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wished I coulda gone sooner, but didn’t work out. Lot’s of people were out walking the lakes lookin Saturday. Talked to some ice fishermen on Ore Lake, they knew of a few nice meteorites found on the ice there, which was South of Brighton and the projected trajectory line map. No luck on Lake Chemung, Bishop or Chilson, pieces pictured were on Thompson Lake in Howell.

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    285 times
    they had one of the meteorites posted on the front page of the A+E section of the chicago tribune today

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rc2125 View Post

cool ! thanks for sharing.

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    285 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad 11 View Post
    i experienced this back in 88" down by Kentucky lake i was sittin on a dock trying my hand night fishin for crappies. it was a beutiful night big puffy clouds in the sky. the wind was calm so quiet you coulda heard a minnow fart. it was about midnight. i was sittin there all by my lonesome and it started getting brighter and brighter i didnt know what was happening as ii looked almost straight above i could see something enter the cloud wether it was a meteor or space junk it got as bright as daylight. it didnt seem to come out of the cloud i was waiting to hear a splash in the water. but it did'nt happen. it most likely was space junk. who knows how much space junk is out there floating around ? tons ?
    speaking of space junk ? I came across an interesting article in air and space magazine and I thought some of you guys and gals might be curious like I am. anywaysin the article they claim a European company is going to launch a project to go up and start cleaning up some of the space junk. yea this blew me away. they claim theres an estimated 750,000 bits and pieces of space junk between marble size and baseball size. and 166 million smaller particles still capable of doing damage. even tiny flecks of paint moving at 5 miles per second that have scarred spacecraft windshields. anyway the article was in august 2017 magazine. so much for curbside pickup ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links