Even with permission do you hunt a graveyard???

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went out door knocking today at some properties that date back to the 1930’s. I was 0-10 for any yes’s except for one house that had a graveyard off to the side of the property, the homeowner told me the only part he would allow me to hunt the graveyard. Several tombstones dates back to the 1890’s. I politely replied thanks but no thanks. So what do you do???
Was your first intention to hunt the graveyard? When you were told you could hunt a certain part you refused. Did you ask if you could hunt around the house? If not why did you even knock.
I personally would not hunt any part of a graveyard for oldies except for helping someone has lost recently like a ring or keys.

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bad juju - let the dead rest in peace.

other places to detect

OP
OP
BLK HOLE

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was never my intent to hunt the graveyard when I knocked on the door of the house. I asked to detect around his house and he told me no, but he would allow me to hunt the graveyard. I politely told him I was not interested as it was something I felt was not ethical.
Was your first intention to hunt the graveyard? When you were told you could hunt a certain part you refused. Did you ask if you could hunt around the house? If not why did you even knock.
I personally would not hunt any part of a graveyard for oldies except for helping someone has lost recently like a ring or keys.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i like to go to cemeteries to straitening the flowers and flags and whatever people put on their loved ones grave i also like to see when they were born and when they died and to see the old head stones too

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO. The only time that I want to go to a graveyard is when I die.
Turn me to ash, stick me in a 3 1/2 pound folders can both a big rock and toss me into the ocean.
I can't believe and I am impressed that this has not turned into a ghost story thread. But I for one am with the masses on the do not disturb. They say rest in peace for a reason. albeit only the top 8 inches of dirt I still agree that it should be off limits forever. Native Indian sites especially because they are very sensitive about it as a whole being part of their beliefs but who knows what beliefs the people had that are buried there. As someone said prior, you can't get permission from the residents!

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I surprised it wasnt just a test to see what kind of guy you were. I would have let you do the property since you were such a stand up guy

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Since i have a different opinion, i am bowing out of this conversation :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Troll comments deleted.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This reminds me of a park I just read about, This city bought a small cemetary or it was handed down to them and they removed all the tombstones, put up one large one with all the names of the deceased on it and made the whole thing a city park without removing the caskets. Kinda odd. If I can find the link I will post it.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't, just not right. Not to say bad Ju-ju, not the right thing to do and would be better places to search. Touchy subject.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So I went out door knocking today at some properties that date back to the 1930’s. I was 0-10 for any yes’s except for one house that had a graveyard off to the side of the property, the homeowner told me the only part he would allow me to hunt the graveyard. Several tombstones dates back to the 1890’s. I politely replied thanks but no thanks. So what do you do???

I would do what you did.
Most of what I would expect to find would have been placed more deliberately , than dropped.
Personally not too interested in ceremonial type relics left at graves.
Don't mind being around them, and understand residents are out of range depth wise..... but while interested in the varieties of stones and things associated with burials and visitors ,the actual part of chasing history with a detector just does not fit with burial sites.
Not a personal taboo ,as much as respect for focus on the sites purpose , and the human element attached.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Most of what I would expect to find would have been placed more deliberately, than dropped...

I always thought differently, specifically the areas between the graves where people stood during a funeral or when visiting a grave, that in earlier days when a man carried a handkerchief, there was the possibility of unknowingly pulling out change when taking the handkerchief out of his pocket.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I always thought differently, specifically the areas between the graves where people stood during a funeral or when visiting a grave, that in earlier days when a man carried a handkerchief, there was the possibility of unknowingly pulling out change when taking the handkerchief out of his pocket.

Sure. It could happen. A watch fob could have broken. A lapel pin ,cuff link or tie clip or tack could have been snagged with a sleeve.....
Parking areas have appeal too. As any parking area might.

Leaving a coin on a soldiers tombstone means some one visited.
A crow ,or packrat ,or who knows....could knock one off or relocate such things.
Should I take up a coin found and tell myself it was just a drop , or avoid the chance it was ceremonial? My answer does not represent everyone. That's fine with me. I don't write the rules.

Just figure some places , and some things , can be sanctified for reasons greater than my hobby.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I'm not trying to advocate looking a graveyard. Just thinking out loud on why stuff might be there. It's probably a little of both, accidental drops and intentional placement.

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why I think the way I do about this. I'm not a religious or spiritual person. To detect in a graveyard I see as the ultimate disrespect for someone who lived before us.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely NO!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as humans have inhabited the earth I'm sure there are a lot of unknown burials but a cemetery or graveyard are clearly marked as to what they are. Places for memorial of loved ones. I would not detect there and I am a Native American and know of burial grounds that are not known to anyone outside the tribe because of looters.Because some people don't understand the difference between burial grounds and a cemetery or graveyard.There is no difference.Although there are some that would loot a Native American burial ground but not touch a cemetery.I'm sorry this is a slippery slope type of thread I had to rant a bit.But my answer is a definitive NO NO NO.

Evilpope

Apr 4, 2016
Griffith,In
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 350, bounty hunter lone star pro, whites trx pinpointer, Garrett ace 400, Garrett pro pointer 2, Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't disrespect a grave for any treasure,,hope u find another spot, good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread