Even with permission do you hunt a graveyard???

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
My one honorable mention was a find made in a graveyard.

IMO...I would say that was an "exception to the rule." You were contacted concerning an item known to be recently lost in the cemetery. You were only looking on the surface ( albeit under snow) for lost item. Belated congratulations on your honorable mention.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO...I would say that was an "exception to the rule." You were contacted concerning an item known to be recently lost in the cemetery. You were only looking on the surface ( albeit under snow) for lost item. Belated congratulations on your honorable mention.
Thanks. Agreed, that was an exception to the rule

NightStalker45b

Oct 23, 2015
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well heck ya. Look at it this way you had permission and the possibility of making new friends, what can happen. Lol

On a serious note I don’t think so. I’ve visited a few but wouldn’t hunt there.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont see anything wrong with it. Its not like your grave digging. If your that concerned about it just hunt around the outskirts like along the fenceline, If its an old property you may get some nice finds.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the town where I live, the senior center is in from of a graveyard. Not a good decision.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing it was a zombie that gave you permission to hunt the graveyard? :laughing7:

There is a cemetery near me that the last know "member" was buried in the late 1920's.

There is a huge grassed in section now that looks like an old parking spot, and the cemetery itself is so far out of the way, that I doubt many people even know it's there anymore.

I stumbled across it quite accidentally, and have asked some locals if they even know the name of it.

All I seem to get is "there's a cemetery there"??

I still won't dig it, but that parking area sure looks inviting!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I own a cemetery. When we bought the farm, the lawyer said we could " legally do anything we want with it, including digging it up and building our house there." Ummm, no! However, it was in great need of attention. I am constantly working on it, including digging up the gravestones and resetting them straight, and digging borders around them to help prevent me from damaging the stones with the lawn mower, etc.
When I first started detecting, I did go out to the cemetery. It is the only sectioned off land, so I could keep track of where I was at and I was trying to learn what the detector was trying to tell me. I didn't realize it was such a big "no-no" for some people. I ended up digging a shotgun shell and a beer can out of it. Now IMO, that was disrespectful, and I was "led" there to get them out. Again, I stress IMO. Since then, I have learned that it's a "stumbling block" for some tnet members. For that reason, I will not detect there just for the sake of detecting. I am not going to stop straightening up tombstones and digging out stumps.

i like to go to cemeteries to straitening the flowers and flags and whatever people put on their loved ones grave i also like to see when they were born and when they died and to see the old head stones too

I'm guessing it was a zombie that gave you permission to hunt the graveyard? :laughing7:

There is a cemetery near me that the last know "member" was buried in the late 1920's.

There is a huge grassed in section now that looks like an old parking spot, and the cemetery itself is so far out of the way, that I doubt many people even know it's there anymore.

I stumbled across it quite accidentally, and have asked some locals if they even know the name of it.

All I seem to get is "there's a cemetery there"??

I still won't dig it, but that parking area sure looks inviting!

gold boy, it's nice that you do that because anyone who may visit will get a good feeling knowing someone out there cares. :thumbsup:

Geobound, I was using the fence to learn it's signals and how close I could get before it would set off my detector. I find a lot of rusty fence in the ground and I was tired of digging it up. On hindsight, I could have went around the outside of the fence. Also, I decided to just dig up every signal anyway.
The first person in my cemetery was buried in 1855. The last person buried there was 1900. I can't find the information now, but somewhere I read that it's considered abandoned because it was a church cemetery (nonprofit) that no longer exists and since it's been 100+ years since the last burial, there would not be any immediate descendants. That's for Ohio. Every place has their own regulations.
Since people are so interested in their geneology, we had a couple ladies come knocking on our door and I showed them the cemetery. Then, one day, we came home and found a note with name and phone number and inquiring about the cemetery. My husband called them back and we will be hosting a family reunion of sorts (their family, not ours) for 20 +/- people we've never met before. They will be coming NC, CA, MI, and who knows where else. This has increased the incentive for me to clean up and fix what I can. Kind of cool, IMO.

Pepper06

May 9, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll admit it, I md a cemetery. I live in the house that I grew up in. I bought it from my parents 20 years ago. Before I was born, my father was putting a fence in and was digging a hole for a post when he dug up human bones. Freaked my mother out. There is a headstone that lies in a large patch of lilacs just off of my back porch. Going by the name on the stone and by the abstract of my property, the woman died around 1850. She is buried about 75 yards due east of the house in what is now a 2 acre patch of alfalfa. And yes, I did run a metal detector in that vicinity.

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mikepost.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with proper permission, and full costs to get there,
be there and return trip. I'd hunt the white house lawn, Gettysburg Battlefield,Wrigley Field, Washington monument, Bell Witch Farm, the vatican, Grand Canyon.... Julianne Moore's lawn,
"THE MOON ALICE !" you name it

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I catch anyone detecting my grave site after I have been placed six feet under I will come back and haunt them for the rest of their lives will make their life miserable HA Ha

no way no how would I ever detect a graveyard

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I catch anyone detecting my grave site after I have been placed six feet under I will come back and haunt them for the rest of their lives will make their life miserable HA Ha

aog51494.jpg

Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Been living next to (and now with) a cemetery for 33/34 years. It's not the dead you have to worry about. It's the living that "haunt" me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread