Old Stone 1800's Rock Saloon and Military Post in Brown's Park Utah

JamesFariello

May 25, 2008
Brighton, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Whites 808, Eagle Spectrum, Cibola & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Stone 1800's Rock Saloon and Military Post found in Brown's Park Utah on the Old Military Trail

by James Fariello

Last month I went to the cabin I have in Brown's Park to do some work on it and to get away from the Denver area for a week. I like giving my wife of almost fifty years a time to herself. Winter hasn't set in at Brown's Park but the area was very cold with little snow on the ground. The deer, elk, moose, and other animals had moved into the valley just like the Indians did a hundred years ago to escape the deep snow of the Uinta mountains. Only a handful of people live in the area year round, there are no stores here and to be up there was so relaxing and I don't miss them. I have for the past fifty plus years been coming into the Brown's Park and three corner's area of Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah to fish, hunt, treasure hunt and enjoy the remote area this is.
The history of the area has been written about in several books. The Spanish explorers came into the area in the 1700/1800's and there is told that an old Spanish Fort was constructed out of rock near the Gates of the Lodore on the Colorado side of the valley. Lost gold and silver mines are reported to be all over the area for a hundred miles in the Uinta Mountains. The Hole in the Wall Gang came out this area and reports of thousands of dollars in stolen gold and silver are still waiting to be found.
Over the years I have located some real nice finds in history and I am researching and going to find even more as Brown's Park is like stepping back in time. I have several books on Brown's Park and I keep them at the cabin for people that come up to visit. There is zero television reception, and radio from Craig, Colorado, over a hundred miles away is weak in reception. I do have my ham radio license and bring my rig to the cabin and work shortwave when I am there. One of the books at the cabin is "The Romantic and Notorious History of Brown's Park", by written by Diana Allen Kouris. Diana was a pioneer family member that settled the valley in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Diana lived a hard but beautiful life as a ranch girl and through her mother keep the history of the area from being lost in time.
My son Juston, now an archeologist and, I always enjoyed coming to Brown's Park when he was a young man. I have always had a love for the old 1830's fur trading forts of Colorado and Juston and I would hike the area near the Vermillion Creek looking for signs of the Old Fort. I was at the Denver Historical Society museum years later an saw a display from Brown's Park area and it was labeled Fort Davy Crockett. The artifacts are from the time period and would have been found at the old fort. I purchased a microfiche of the report and the conclusion of the report was they didn't have enough to positively identify the site as Fort Davy Crockett.
Diana in her book gives real positive information from people living in the area on the Forts location. One example, John Jarvie, and he indicated that the Fort Davy Crockett was across the river from his ranch with an old military rock building near it. John would take people to the old fort and rock saloon and stated that the Forts rocks had been salvaged and used the divert the water of the Green River to a canal used for farming. Diana refers to the military road in three places in her book and on page 65 she states, "Up the river a ways from the John Jarvie store, beside the military road which crossed the river at Indian Crossing, went along the rocky hillside, then up Jackson Draw and on to Ashley Valley, stood two or three old cabins and a rock house." The military road is well known and you can hike it today with medium hardship. Continuing she writes, "There were no windows in the rock building. It had slits in the rocks about six inches wide and two or three feet in length, just the right size for a couple of rifle barrels to fit through. Though the folks around called it the old saloon, it apparently once served as a military outpost." Diana also tells about a murder at the rock saloon and some other stories relating to it. If you get a chance to go to the library, ask for it. It may need to come to you on an interlibrary loan but it will be worth it.
Let me give you some information on how I located, confirmed the site. I got a plat map of the area from the 1899 and the rock house was shown. The Old Fort was not shown but that fort ended 60 years before the plat was made. In 1844, John C. Fremont saw the Fort near Red Creek as he entered Brown's Park by boat on the Green River. He stated that the Fort was in ruins and little remained. My thoughts on Fort Crockett changed to make me believe it is across the river from the John Jarvie Store. I have a feeling the Vermillion Creek, and Red Creek got mixed up in history and that was a critical error in the loss of the Fort in time. Vermillion in spanish means, ” Define vermilion: a vivid reddish orange; a bright red pigment consisting of mercuric sulfide; broadly : any of various red pigments." Without Jarvie and others that saw the remains of the Fort it may have been lost. I would like to see the State of Utah start working on finding the true location of the Fort Davy Crockett in Daggett County. The Rock Building is in total ruins and I took a photo of it. Diana also tells a story on a young man killed an buried at the Rck House. I have some maps, links so you can look at how I came to find the old rock saloon, aka military post.
clip_image002.jpg

Area across from the John Jarvie Ranch and this is part of the old military trail to Jackson Draw.
The 1899 Plat Map. plat https://glorecords.blm.gov/details/...3233&sid=j3x4oy35.ch3#surveyDetailsTabIndex=1
The Rock House location N 40.88983 W 109.20333
Map of the military trail: https://www.scribd.com/document/237430902/Brown-s-Park-Colorado-Map
clip_image004.jpg

Part of the Old Rock Saloon/Military Post on the Military Trail in Brown's Park.
What is left of the Rock House.
clip_image006.jpg

clip_image008.jpg
Diana's book, love it.

Attachments

• browns_park_kouris.jpg
    browns_park_kouris.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 20171013_134206.jpg
    20171013_134206.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 259
  • 20171013_134159.jpg
    20171013_134159.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 264
  • 20171013_134146.jpg
    20171013_134146.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 220

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Having a little trouble following your post's story line. Are you saying that you, and only you, have found this site ?

Or are you saying that others had known of it's location too. And that artifacts from it are on display at the Denver museum ? If so, then there's enough clues for others to have sleuthed it out. And it's probably been metal detected before by others.

My buddy and I have sleuth-ed out several stage stop type locations, that were *nearly* secrets to the history books. Eg.: Mentioned only in passing, in various sources. But .... locations were always just generalities (as a non-important point to their mention in a history citation). But we researched and hike around and .... presto: Find the location. And in a few of those instances find a virgin stage stop. Seated coins, even gold coins, etc... :)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a little trouble following your post's story line. Are you saying that you, and only you, have found this site ?

Or are you saying that others had known of it's location too. And that artifacts from it are on display at the Denver museum ? If so, then there's enough clues for others to have sleuthed it out. And it's probably been metal detected before by others.

My buddy and I have sleuth-ed out several stage stop type locations, that were *nearly* secrets to the history books. Eg.: Mentioned only in passing, in various sources. But .... locations were always just generalities (as a non-important point to their mention in a history citation). But we researched and hike around and .... presto: Find the location. And in a few of those instances find a virgin stage stop. Seated coins, even gold coins, etc... :)
Darn west coasters and their gold lies....:argue:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Darn west coasters and their gold lies....:argue:

We got so sick and tired of your east coast lies (colonial coppers, LC's everywhere, busts, GW buttons, etc...) that we had to come up with a lie to get revenge. Sorry 'bout that.

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent story Thanks for posting it! That is such a wonderful area , the best thing is it is so remote so not many people go there , all kinds of interesting history.

OP
OP
JamesFariello

JamesFariello

May 25, 2008
Brighton, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two forts, one the 1830's Fort Crockett, it is the one Denver has artifacts from but the took them near the Vermillion Creek are. The old fur fort was near the rock house, at red creek. The names of the creek in time got mixed up. The original Fort Crockett is very close to this old rock structure and was know in the early 1900's. I am still looking for that fort. This fort or post is a clue, the old times said the Fort Crockett was near the rock saloon. I found the saloon from a old 1899 plat map, the old for was not shown as it had been destroyed for material for that area. Here is the gps of the rock post or saloon. ( ACME Mapper 2.1 }

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
There are two forts, one the 1830's Fort Crockett, it is the one Denver has artifacts from but the took them near the Vermillion Creek are. The old fur fort was near the rock house, at red creek. The names of the creek in time got mixed up. The original Fort Crockett is very close to this old rock structure and was know in the early 1900's. I am still looking for that fort. This fort or post is a clue, the old times said the Fort Crockett was near the rock saloon. I found the saloon from a old 1899 plat map, the old for was not shown as it had been destroyed for material for that area. Here is the gps of the rock post or saloon. ( ACME Mapper 2.1 }

Well git busy, find it, and post some great show & tell for us ! :)

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for posting this stuff , and thanks for posting the gps! That is a little different area than I would have thought , so this is on the south side of the Green river? I would love to see the display in the Denver museum , was there some confirmation that the artifacts on display were actually from fort Davy Crockett? from my understanding know one really knows where it was , I even remember asking a woman who ran a store in Browns park (dont know if the store is still there) about Ft Davy Crockett and she looked me dead serious and said it dosent exist. For me there is a few indications up there that this may have been a pretty important area . I would also love to hear more about the military trail I wasnt really aware of that . There is a really good book a friend of mine bought years ago at that store , I wish I got it but they only had one copy , I would like to track it down. It had some really interesting stuff , one story was if I can remember right , that there was a cave that a cache of weapons like Spanish muskets and such were recovered , its private property now but I would like to check the story again and see if I could track down where those ended up and what they would actually date to. If you have ever seen the outlaw trail journals , there is some interesting stories in those. I would really love to discuss this area more with you if you feel like you want to swap stories about the area please send me a PM.

Last edited:

roughroc

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fort site.jpg

I was told this was the area of fort davy crockett. It could be the fur fort since there was a lot of confusion over the years.

ACME Mapper 2.1

the area would be marked B on the acme mapper if this works. This is where I think, but not sure the flat place is located.

OP
OP
JamesFariello

JamesFariello

May 25, 2008
Brighton, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure looks like the area I think it is in. Capt. Fredmont came down the Green and as soon as he entered the valley (1844) he sad he saw the old fort Crockett. That would be just a little down stream from Red Creek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread