How to get started detecting?

Inix

Dec 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello to all! I was wondering how you guys got started detecting. I have picked old properties and places well before American Pickers. I started in the 70's. Back then I worked with dealers that would give me a list of items that they were looking for. If I found them, I'd find the closest payphone to report my finds to them and an approximate price they would pay. Then if I could make a dollar or two I would make the purchase.

Well, back to my question. What is a good way to start detecting. I have access to quite a bit of land that has probably never been searched. I am an exterminator by trade and have good rapport with my customers. Some live in town, some on farms and ranches in North Texas. Many let me search their barns/attics for antiques, so I assume they would let me dig some holes on their property.

So, what kind of machine to buy for detecting that won't break me. Where to look, etc...

I love this site and look forward to any suggestions. Thanks!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Inix from Southern Louisiana. It’s easy do research on what you’re locking for land and/or water that will let you know if you need a waterproof machine also what price range you’re looking for. You can get a used AT Pro at good prices right now due to the new AT Max that came out. The AT Pro is waterproof and very user friendly for a newbie and a great detector. Then once you get a machine watch some videos on YouTube to get a idea of it, then go to one of those awesome old properties you have access to and start swinging and digging. Dig, dig and dig some more, all signals to get idea of numbers and sound and soon you will find something that will have you hooked then obsessed like the rest off us. Good luck and Louisiana loves Texas!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth gave some good advice. I would tell you to TAKE YOUR TIME, and look at all the brand's offerings at your price point, Depending where you are in Texas, there is a brick and mortar dealer within an hour of you, where you can put a machine in your hand and talk to someone that knows how to use it. Garrett; Whites; Minelab; Tesoro; Fisher :skullflag:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you already have the hard part covered - permissions to detect on. Start with an inexpensive used machine to see how you like the hobby. If it's not for you - then your initial investment is low enough you can likely get your money back out of it. If the detecting bug bites, and it may - then you will have a backup detector after you upgrade to a better machine. Do some reading about all the different machines here and watch some videos on youtube to get a feel for some of them before you lay down any cash.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I shoulda known that the first response would tell you to get an AT series machine..... Get a White's. :laughing7:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No real easy way around it. Just need to get out there and start swinging the machine you pick. This hobby is definitely one that you get out what you put in. As said above, there is tons of selection out there for machines. Everyone has their go to machine and somewhat biased.

Really, no matter what you spend you will find good stuff with the right location. You could spend less than $100.00 on a bounty hunter tracker iv and have fun........as said before check out a bunch of youtube videos and read up before making a decision. Good luck!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if detecting is something you find you really like doing, then as soon as able, buy a small coil for whatever make/model you own. It WILL come in handy for area's with lots of targets in it, and good luck to you, really, I mean that as I'm sure we all do.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread