Researching New England

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m trying to find maps of towns from the 19th century without any luck. Do any of you have any idea where (best website) I can find some of these maps? Reason being, in my back yard and beyond there is a lot of old building debris, an old road and what looks to be either a ford or stone platform. I’ve located a pair of very old granite posts, a ton of very old bricks etc. I have been over some of the site with my son’s cheapo detector and pulled up lots of square nails but I haven’t been over it with my AT pro because the ground has been frozen solid since I got it. What I’d like to know from the maps is if I have a dozer push or an old mill site. There is a very old cider mill cellar hole just a quarter mile away but I’m sure it’s been picked clean. Sooooooo any help would be appreciated!! Thank you

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you googled anything? How about Googling Historic maps and see what you fond in your results.

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I did, I can’t find a map detailed enough. I did find one from the 1850’s that had the property owners name but no indication of structures or building/businesses. At first I thought it would be a piece of cake, but I was wrong. I did find out the where the houses are was farm land but behind my house did have some indication of buildings and activity

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I’ll go to the historical society and see what they have in actual maps and land records.
Thanks for the reply

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do you think there are more detailed maps? Who would have wanted/needed one back then and would want to pay a surveyor for more detail? Just know the maps show houses and businesses and not out buildings like barns, corn cribs, silos or chicken coops. Just be glad you are in an area that has old maps with that amount of detail There are many states, mainly mountainous areas with very few maps available. Good luck finding what you are wanting.

I think you might find more at your county auditor office.

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the ideas Loco!!!

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Massachusetts im assuming you've also been down to the state sections of the boards..theres a few links and post about maps and what not ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread