Perrycolove

Greenie
May 19, 2017
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
At pro ......gofind 30
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A discussion came up which has been a good thing to discuss at some local get together.
The discussion came about about landmarks and what to look for. The first one was about the bases of trees.
So Im curious, When you go ut to a field, or the woods etc. What things do you look for as a possible indicator.
Example is the trees: straight trunks usually indicates added ground. Bulbous trunks mean dirt was not added. Scarred trunks means it was leveled or scrapped. etc etc.
But what other things are there to look for?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your question is a little ambiguous.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I tend to stay away from sites that have trees simply because I don't enjoy root digging but, your question brings to mind some things that I've learned over the years. Once you dig enough sites, you learn to "read" your local soil. For example, if I hit clay immediately or in the top two inches, I know right away the site has been leveled/dozed. If I dig 10 or more inches before hitting clay, I know soil has been added. If I get into non-site specific gravel at any level, I know the site has been compromised.

It's not uncommon to see all three scenarios at once on one site. Old homes get razed, buried on site and a new house replaces it. The area around the new home will almost always consist of clay. The undisturbed soil farther away from the home will still have a lot of organic matter, (darker/loose) soil. And when I hit the gravel, I know where the driveway used to be....lol.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check for likely picnic spots near streams------------------ie; Large boulders, flat areas near streams next to cliffs, etc.
I do not agree 100% with the soil description of fill/no fill around trees. As a former Construction Company Owner I have seen undisturbed areas with five foot deep soil. It is different based on vegetation and drainage.
Marvin

wvdigger1986

Greenie
Dec 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
around fence posts, old mailboxes, old house concrete foundations, anything around a water source. Also outside OLD graveyards. HAHA

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where folks played in a large park a 100 yrs ago might not be well defined by what the park looks like today. If you don't see the base of the tree flaring out at the base, and looks like a pole stuck into the ground then odds are there has been soil added.
What looks like a well treed area might have been cleared a 100-150yrs ago, and vice versa a manicured lawn today might of been forested trees, with little activity.

Somebody told me of a baseball field, looking at today the only thing that would give it away would be the flat terrain. The trees have been growing 40-50 yrs now so one would never suspect a playing field. In field hunting homesteads are typically situated on higher ground, away from flooding.

In the bush one would look on the flattened terrain over a steep hillside for the cellar holes. Sources of water was important so small creeks, or access to a body of water. Though beside me there was a Block House on top of a 100+ foot cliff that was occupied by a woman and children, the only source of water was down a steep trail to the bay for water. Folks made do back then, regardless of hardships.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mainly detect in the woods, so here's what I look for.

1) Stone walls and cellar holes are the obvious spots to detect.

2) Openings in stone walls were once high traffic areas. Always spend time doing the opening and at least 25 feet back from the opening on both sides.

3) Flat, open spots in the middle of a heavily wooded area screams "old cabin site" to me.

4) The base of any big, old tree. Hunters and hikers loved to take a break, sit down and lean back against a big tree.

5) Same goes for a large, single boulder in the woods. Everyone likes to sit or stand on them, especially kids.

6) The banks of streams are good, since farmers would water their horses and farm animals there. Great spot for bells, buckles and ox knobs.

7) Dump sites. I always check any spot that has rusty cans and broken glass. Could be recent dump or a trash pit from the 1800's. Gotta find out which it is...

8) High ground over valleys. High ground is better for a cabin, since it won't flood. High ground is also a good vantage point for hunters to scope out the area.

Just a few things I look for when I'm detecting in the woods. They don't always pan out, but sometimes they do...

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt primarily in the woods. I have never had any luck with just wandering and reading the lay of the land. Usually I end up with just a pocket full of slugs and casings when I do this. I hit the woods with aerial photos and old maps so I have target areas in mind. When I find the cellar hole (does not happen every time) I focus on the area between the old access road and the cellar, then any flat areas nearby.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm answering once again. Old Stage Coach trails/roads. Check for areas where they would take a rest such as any water source, especially Springs. Maybe you can locate an old Relay Station location. Good Luck.
Marvin

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When looking over a ploughed/hay field/crop look for a spot where the farmer doesn't till. It my very well be the cellar hole/foundation rubble where it's too heavy and hasn't been covered in yet. Some producing sites in a field may just have a few pieces of rubble stone that have worked to the surface, no surface glass/pottery/iron finds, but the detector will certainly start to liven up. I've walked through the bush for hrs and then I start to hit sq. nails, sometimes the rose head types then I know something old was there. Might turn up something good, and other times it's just nails, and nothing else, but one doesn't know till they dig.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
When hunting farm fields, always hit the high points. 2 large Buttonwoods was the entrance to an old farmhouse road. Grape vines is a sign of an old homesite. Also look for non-natural vegetation to give away an old homesite.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When hunting farm fields, always hit the high points. 2 large Buttonwoods was the entrance to an old farmhouse road. Grape vines is a sign of an old homesite. Also look for non-natural vegetation to give away an old homesite.

Hey jerseyben. I lived in the Pine Barrens in NJ once way back. It's hard to convince people how wild it is.
Tom Browns books give a hint.
About the grape vines. As long as the grapes aren't Fox grapes. Those are native and grow many places. A domesticated grape though is good sign.

I believe that people walk taking the path of least resistance without thinking. Problems happen when people think. It's natural to walk avoiding things that will make it harder. Kind of a snake eyes kind of thing. Even if the old path is overgrown, careful seeing will show where it once was.
This is with animals too. Like a horse path. Seems only people choose to run up hill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread