Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Is it really worth it anymore?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2549 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Like any thing if you like it... it is worth it if you do not like it ...it is not worth it ..
    A2coins likes this.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    821 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I don't really know about the negativity in which you speak, but I would say grab your detector and get back at it!

The only real negative I see about metal detecting, is the snow that surrounds me 6 months of the year!!

The equipment has certainly changed a fair amount over the last few years, but lucky for you the trash is still the same........perhaps just a little more of it.

Good luck and happy hunting.
    A2coins likes this.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    17633 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    Just getting back into the hobby after an eight year absence.
    I think the answer is in your opening statement.
    I love this HOBBY. If you're not enjoying the swinging of the coil, being outdoors, the retrieval of a target, the excitement of a great find,, well maybe this HOBBY, ain't for you.
    3cylbill, dsdigger and A2coins like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Nov 2015
    Western USA
    Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, ATX, Sea Hunter MKII, Infinium LS, Scorpion GS, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD20
    374 times
    If you look for negativity you will always find it. Choose to look for the positive -- it is abundant in this forum!

Fresh air, exercise , the excitement of never knowing what you will find next and the thought that goes into it -- YES it is worth it!

If you're not certain -- take your old gear out again and give it a try -- as soon as those headphones go on and you start getting signals you will wonder what negativity you were originally thinking about, and you'll certainly realize why it's worth it...
    dsdigger likes this.
    Money may not grow on trees, but it's often found under them!

Charter Member
    us
    Joe

Nov 2014
    VA
    Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
    6771 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If you have too look for confirmation then it may not be worth it for you. This hobby is not for everyone, no hobby is. You need to ask yourself why you stopped 8 years ago and why you are reconsidering now?
    Like the old saying goes, " If it feels good, do it" if not find something else.
    dsdigger and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    BILL

Jul 2015
    s.tier NY
    TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
    568 times
    Metal Detecting
    NOT IF YOU HAVE TO ASK .....

us
    Hey! I found a .........

Jul 2006
    TEXAS
    872 times
    The way I look at it is. it's the thrill of the hunt that makes it worth it.
    3cylbill and A2coins like this.
    If you get a depth reading of four inches and you've dug down two feet and widened your hole several times and still get a signal, GIVE UP!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15058 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    You had an 8 year absence. My absence was 30 years. Then I retired and started slowly getting back on my knees, permanent stains on the knees of my jeans, getting my hands dirty.

I began getting out again slowly, got the fever again, slowly accumulating nice delights - not every hunt. Last time I went out I found a whole penny. My hip joints and knee joint pains make me wobble around. My last good hunt I found three times the trash than the good finds, up and down over a hundred times.

Not that I like the pain, but I've thoroughly enjoyed even those one cent finds. Finds accumulate! Last year I went out 52 times - once a week average.

This year I'm going to beat that number, but weather has been an issue. I'm still going to beat that number of hunts.

Is it worth it? Hell yeah!
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12989 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Deepseekerads, I stopped in 1993 and started back in 2011. Ar har! It's been doing great.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    9477 times
    Metal Detecting
    Worth it?

Depends how you value "it". I have never sold any of the silver or jewelry I have found, and usually give the jewelry away.

The clad I spend - and I barely keep up on gas and batteries. I'm maybe a little ahead on that if I don't count the expense or the detector and related equipment.

But it's fun, gets me outdoors, and there is always something interesting. I have a hammer head and logging chain I still use.

If I hadn't been detecting I might have been out fishing and slipped on a slick rock when wading in river current and drowned. So yes, it is worth it!
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Sep 2015
    Brawley
    ,Minelab Equinox 800, GGT Sluice, Keene 212v Dry Washer
    160 times
    Worth it... to quote Charlie P. Yes it is. I do not keep my finds at all. Spend, sell,give away or trash. The coolest thing my yrs.2 years of detecting has brought my way?
    An intense interest in local history, obscure or otherwise. It is rewarding to find an area that once had activity and is barren now. Make a few finds at such a place and all that research has been time well spent.
    A2coins likes this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16299 times
    Relic Hunting
    The question is: Why did you do detect years ago, and why did you quit?
    Let's start there and that might answer why you are thinking about the chance of doing it again.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    1574 times
    Metal Detecting
    Two words...

Yep! Totally!

Rant over. 😁
    Tom_in_CA and A2coins like this.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

Charter Member
    Keep your eyes to the ground

Feb 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Garrett AT MAX, AT PRO, MineLab Eqinox 600 Tesoro Conquistador
    31 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    2007 at the age of 44, found I had a hole in my heart, emergency open heart surgery 3 days later...
    Took about 2 years to fully recover, lost interest in all my hobbies. Facing mortality sometimes does that....

Anyhoo... I do enjoy the hobby, loved it before. I may have come across a bit negative, but not my intention.
    Thanks to those that pointed the above aspect out. I knew the answer before I posed the question, just took a "verbal" kick in the pants to open my eyes.

I will be attending the meeting of our local club in February ( used to be a member) and plan on going to Temple, TX treasure show in April.
    Last edited by hadite81; Jan 25, 2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    Bike riding, bass fishing, Ham radio, metal detecting fool. I can never find time to do all in one day.

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    954 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    NO, it is NOT worth it. Please, take a hard look at canoe building, or Peruvian Beaver Conservation - Anything but metal detecting! Move along, nothing to see here..
    Peruvian beaver link https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...s-of-patagonia

Chub
    A2coins likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links