Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Is it really worth it anymore?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2017
    103 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    "all of the negativity I have seen or read about lately regarding MD'ing, I have to ask myself if it is really worth the investment again."

Do YOU want to detect? Thats the question, not what other people think. I have given up to justify myself for what I do and am. If somebody doesnt like it, he is invited to turn around and leave.

"I looked into canned hunts, and see they are from $100 to $160 for entry fees... "

Unsure what a canned hunt means. I would not pay 160 to detect anywhere (except maybe river tiber sludge in rome or Ankor Wat or such things).Barring any alternatives, take you new detecor to your old spost: the plow, the frost, the rain and the improved tech will make the yileding like new.

I still have my detectors from years ago, but was looking to upgrade to newer gear ( wireless etc..)

...Or maybe fire up the old ones and look if you still like it before you pay?

Is it really worth it anymore?

the forum is populated by people that think so, yet it is always a personel decision. I e.g. would only spend time on golf course if I would get paid for it.

Greets Namxat
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden ÁMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3208 times
    Name:  7BCF65B4-697A-4355-AD34-6D48EDC4FC74.jpeg
Views: 119
Size:  23.7 KB
    A2coins likes this.
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8552 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    ..... Facing mortality sometimes does that.....
    Get well soon hadite81. We're rooting for you . Find some cool stuff for show & tell @ today's find section. I'll be the first to vote "banner". Oh, and 30% of all your finds have to come to me (I accept paypal).
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member
    Keep your eyes to the ground

Feb 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Garrett AT PRO with Z LINK Tesoro LOBO ST Tesoro Conquistador
    30 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    All better now, thanks Tom.

A canned hunt or I guess a seeded hunt, where an organization or club charges a fee to hunt planted silver coins/tokens for prizes.
    I guess if you feel lucky (well, do ya punk?) you can win some great prizes. I was just amazed at the cost to enter such events.
    Silver would add up, based on spot price so you could break even I guess.
    pepperj and A2coins like this.
    Bike riding, bass fishing, Ham radio, metal detecting fool. I can never find time to do all in one day.

us
    Jan 2016
    North Fork California
    1 times
    I think it's worth it, just speaking for myself. I love to find things. But here in California it is very hard to find anywhere to legally detect. Seems like 99% of property owners or agencies say NO. At the beach I get mostly Corona bottle caps, and the few sites where I am allowed to detect mostly yield nails. Digging anyway, I get pottery shards and bits of broken bottles. But amazingly, most people who show me their finds via phone-camera, have scads of coins from the 1800s, large gold nuggets and gold/diamond rings, hahaha! So I guess it's just me!
    A2coins likes this.

RW
    us
    Ron

Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
    512 times
    Cache Hunting
    Yesterday I drove 20 miles after work, walked 2 miles to and from my hunting spot and the only coin I found was a wheat penny. Was it worth it? Every penny! First thing on the trail I heard was rustling in the leaves, it was an armadillo that let me walk right up on it and watch it grub around. Then I spooked a tree full of buzzards (or did they spook me?) before I made it to the ruins. Walked a little further than I have before and came to a river where I saw a group of mallards. Saw a lot of deer tracks but saw no deer. Found the penny. Yeah! Dug a bunch of junk and headed back down the trail where an ultralight buzzed over the treetops out of nowhere. Came upon a couple women riding horses and walking a pony, that explained the fresh tracks. Saw lots of birds, got lots of fresh air and sunshine, made it back to the truck, headed home for dinner. Wish I was out today.
    A2coins likes this.

Is it worth it, hmmm

Ok, let me think way back to the good ole days of 2010.

Extra Large with the works - 2010 wrap up

And then then last year, with all the negative talk and all.

My year end post for 2017 - It was a good one!

I thought it was worth it.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    10834 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    IMHO, use your old detector or buy a new one, but get out there and have fun!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Virginia
    Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
    735 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    "Is it worth it any more? " is a question of priorities as to what IT is.
    My priorities are (1) enjoying the research, (2) hunting the researched sites, (3) being outdoors--preferrably with friends; and (4) finding something--the 'icing on the cake'.
    My answer is 'yes' since I can enjoy the first three priorities without the need for the fourth.
    Don......
    This should be on the preface of every metal detecting book.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    Fisher F75 LTD AT MAX
    8679 times
    Metal Detecting
    Sounds like you need it more then ever. The 8 year layoff shows. Start swinging find something to put a smile back on that face. Good luck
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Sep 2014
    Longmont, CO
    Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
    251 times
    I may be off base, but I see the "negativity" all the time, it just isn't negative on its face. It's watching people like Iron Patch (no disrespect, it's just you did it 3 comments ago) brag about highly successful hunts while you struggle to find anything of interest. It's hearing people say "I got cheated today" because they dug a silver pocketwatch cover rather than a silver coin when he walked away with 4 coins PLUS a big chunk of scrap silver. This community CAN be great, but it can also be very frusterating to be bombarded by people who find more silver or gold or just plain goodies in a single hunt than you've found in your life, all while some of them complain about what a bad day it was. It's an insufficient understanding that that some peoples "lousy day" is someone elses dream hunt. Hell, in one of the first posts i made here I was chastized for being excited to find 100 year old shotgun shells. Yea, for people on the east coast or Europe, that would be lame. But for me, it's still the oldest dateable object I've found, and as such, it's among my favorite finds.

Is it worth it? That's for you to decided. If your doing it to get rich or make friends, I'd say no, not worth it. If you do it to get out of the house, experience a little history maybe, and just get some fresh air? Yes, totally worth it.
    RW, AlienLifeForm, A2coins and 2 others like this.
    Metal Detecting bucket List
    Pirate/Spanish Treasure
    Gold Nugget
    Tellurides
    X Silver Ore
    Gold Jewlery
    X Silver Jewelry
    Gold Coin
    Silver Coin
    Trade Dollar
    Eisenhower Dollar
    Coin from the 1800's
    Indian Head Penny
    Buffalo Nickel
    X Wheat Penny
    X Miners Tag
    Tax Token
    Store Token
    X A Gun
    A Stash of some kind

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8552 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Waste View Post
    ...Seems like 99% of .... agencies say NO....

Do you mean "public agencies" here in CA ? How do you figure ? Are you showing up (or emailing or calling etc...) asking "can I metal detect?" If so, then me suspects you are a victim of "No one cared till you asked" phenomenon. Or are you speaking of having looked up laws/rules for yourself ? If so, how do you figure ? Because laws/rules that truly specifically say "no md'ing" are very rare here .

I'm in CA, and I hunt public land all the time. Everywhere I go, w/o issue. I have literally no time to hit all the back-burner sites I have on my "must try" or "must return to" list of spots on public land.

And as for the beach: If you're getting corona caps, then you're not hitting it after erosion. When mother nature pulls out the sand *just right*: There are no light objects left. Ie.: all aluminum, caps, foil, etc... are washed out. Leaving only the heavier objects on the inter-tidal zone.
    A2coins likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    Fisher F75 LTD AT MAX
    8679 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustMoose87 View Post
    I may be off base, but I see the "negativity" all the time, it just isn't negative on its face. It's watching people like Iron Patch (no disrespect, it's just you did it 3 comments ago) brag about highly successful hunts while you struggle to find anything of interest. It's hearing people say "I got cheated today" because they dug a silver pocketwatch cover rather than a silver coin when he walked away with 4 coins PLUS a big chunk of scrap silver. This community CAN be great, but it can also be very frusterating to be bombarded by people who find more silver or gold or just plain goodies in a single hunt than you've found in your life, all while some of them complain about what a bad day it was. It's an insufficient understanding that that some peoples "lousy day" is someone elses dream hunt. Hell, in one of the first posts i made here I was chastized for being excited to find 100 year old shotgun shells. Yea, for people on the east coast or Europe, that would be lame. But for me, it's still the oldest dateable object I've found, and as such, it's among my favorite finds.

Is it worth it? That's for you to decided. If your doing it to get rich or make friends, I'd say no, not worth it. If you do it to get out of the house, experience a little history maybe, and just get some fresh air? Yes, totally worth it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2185.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	1541276

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    1977 times
    Negativity here? Just remember, some comments come off as negative typed out without the tone & inflection of speech. Gawd knows this has happened to me a lot! Sounds good to your head & fingers but the world takes it different. If you're talking the hobby in general, look around you! The world is getting more & more negative. No matter what hobby or activity you choose there's going to be a herd of negative folks following you. You sound like a good person to me, so I have to ask Why worry? You're up researching learning detecting out in the fresh air getting exercise. That's more than most of the other folks! Do you really give a flip what the negative folks think to let them get you down? "You just have to have fun with it!"
    RW likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    1928 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Not worth it. I worship the almighty dollar, if I'm not making money every breathing minute, it just ain't worth my time.
    Truth1253 likes this.
    When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links