Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Is it really worth it anymore?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    RW
    us
    Ron

Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
    534 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
    Negativity here? Just remember, some comments come off as negative typed out without the tone & inflection of speech. Gawd knows this has happened to me a lot! Sounds good to your head & fingers but the world takes it different. If you're talking the hobby in general, look around you! The world is getting more & more negative. No matter what hobby or activity you choose there's going to be a herd of negative folks following you. You sound like a good person to me, so I have to ask Why worry? You're up researching learning detecting out in the fresh air getting exercise. That's more than most of the other folks! Do you really give a flip what the negative folks think to let them get you down? "You just have to have fun with it!"

You got that right! I think some folks read everything as if it were a transcript in a court case. Must be utterly boring in their head. Sorry if that sounds negative.
    Truth1253 likes this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16295 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    All better now, thanks Tom.

A canned hunt or I guess a seeded hunt, where an organization or club charges a fee to hunt planted silver coins/tokens for prizes.
    I guess if you feel lucky (well, do ya punk?) you can win some great prizes. I was just amazed at the cost to enter such events.
    Silver would add up, based on spot price so you could break even I guess.
    It seems that you had a brush with life at an age where one is getting comfortable, and having a life changing health issue does change the way one thinks.
    Going to a canned hunt is competitive trying to win a prize, get the money back, lots of people doing the same-I relate it to stress.
    Everyone has their own reason for doing the hobby, and I'm sure that you had great reasons of doing it in the first place, and there must a great reason for you to be questioning if you should try it again.
    Blak bart likes this.

us
    Oct 2009
    7139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have to wonder why anybody would care what people say on a forum to decide if a hobby is "worth getting in to". I never felt the need to read all the fishing forums before picking up my rod and taklebox, or suss out the tone of posts from other hunters before taking my rifle into the woods.

The only thing that matters is WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?
    Blak bart, jeff-gordon and Keppy like this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    429 times
    Urban detecting for clad coins is a waste of time unless you are REALLY good at it, and even then it struggles to pay for gas and batteries.

If you have access to older sites, then - if you also have a keen interest in local history and such - it can be very rewarding in terms of local knowledge and perhaps even some valuable finds.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    13357 times
    2007 at the age of 44, found I had a hole in my heart, emergency open heart surgery 3 days later...
    Took about 2 years to fully recover, lost interest in all my hobbies. Facing mortality sometimes does that....

Anyhoo... I do enjoy the hobby, loved it before. I may have come across a bit negative, but not my intention.
    Thanks to those that pointed the above aspect out. I knew the answer before I posed the question, just took a "verbal" kick in the pants to open my eyes.

I will be attending the meeting of our local club in February ( used to be a member) and plan on going to Temple, TX treasure show in April.
    Well then... having been running on a " second chance in life" , I can say that if detecting interests you again ,must try it to tell if it is worth it today.
    Kept fun and treated like a simple pleasure you enjoy it instead of stress or hard labor.....

Some time-out/ breaks taken to soak up the scene ,or environment, can be great moments not experienced at home on a picture screen.
    A too strong whiff of lilac in bloom ,or a manure spreader ,or a diesel truck ....almost distracting you....again.
    As can an occasional recovery that stands out to you alone ,regardless of $$ value ; get in the way of your " hunt".
    Blak bart likes this.

us
    happy hunting

Apr 2016
    Griffith,In
    Garrett ace 350, bounty hunter lone star pro, whites trx pinpointer, Garrett ace 400, Garrett pro pointer 2, Garrett AT gold
    115 times
    I love the hobby of detecting,,I wouldn't trade for anything else,the problem is it's a lot of so called detectist that mess it up for all of us not filling their holes in,detecting without permission,ect. Don't give up on it there are still cool places to hunt

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT PRO Nel Attack Coil
    7294 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    ill buy your old detectors ive been out with people who spend a day or 2 detecting and quit cause they dont find silver or gold i love the thrill of what you might find the next beep ill go 4 to 5 times and just find clad And be just as excited the next time at what i might find it takes a certain kind of person ya got it or ya dont
    RW, Geobound, Ogre1190 and 2 others like this.
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    10925 times
    Metal Detecting
    2007 at the age of 44, found I had a hole in my heart, emergency open heart surgery 3 days later...
    Took about 2 years to fully recover, lost interest in all my hobbies. Facing mortality sometimes does that....

Anyhoo... I do enjoy the hobby, loved it before. I may have come across a bit negative, but not my intention.
    Thanks to those that pointed the above aspect out. I knew the answer before I posed the question, just took a "verbal" kick in the pants to open my eyes.

I will be attending the meeting of our local club in February ( used to be a member) and plan on going to Temple, TX treasure show in April.
    Well in that case WELCOME BACK!

P.S. Iím so so happy you made a full recovery

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2533 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    I have to wonder why anybody would care what people say on a forum to decide if a hobby is "worth getting in to". I never felt the need to read all the fishing forums before picking up my rod and taklebox, or suss out the tone of posts from other hunters before taking my rifle into the woods.

The only thing that matters is WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?
    You know i never did know why people care what people say on forum's .
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    AT Pro, Fisher F75 Limited, White M6, XP Deus Lesche hand digger,Lesche Predator shovel.NEL Storm and Tornado coils.
    2715 times
    Have someone hide your detector and your problem will go away.

us
    Mar 2014
    South Bend
    Excalibur II WOT coil
    76 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Well as a water detectorist how can it ever be not worth it! I swing my detector as I enjoy the eye candy and finding stuff is a double bonus. LOL
    Blak bart likes this.

us
    "Redheaded Stranger"

Feb 2018
    East liverpool ,Ohio USA
    Minelab Sovereign Elite. Fisher Goldbug 2. Garrett pinpointer , Gold Tracker MD-20 (portable) ,
    4 times
    A good partner goes a long way to make the outings great!!
    fistfulladirt likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    426 times
    The mpre people out there detecting means less for us to FIND !!!
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links