Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Is it really worth it anymore?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    Keep your eyes to the ground

Feb 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Garrett AT MAX, AT PRO, MineLab Eqinox 600 Tesoro Conquistador
    31 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Is it really worth it anymore?

Just getting back into the hobby after an eight year absence.
    all of the negativity I have seen or read about lately regarding MD'ing, I have to ask myself if it is really worth the investment again.

I looked into canned hunts, and see they are from $100 to $160 for entry fees... my how times have changed.

I still have my detectors from years ago, but was looking to upgrade to newer gear ( wireless etc..)

my .02
    Bike riding, bass fishing, Ham radio, metal detecting fool. I can never find time to do all in one day.

May 2017
    770 times
    Sounds honestly like you've got mood problems outside of detecting. No offense.

This forum is plenty positive, and I've had nothing but fun detecting. Is it hard to get good permissions? Sure. But that's what makes the payoff so sweet in the end.

Good luck, and try to stay positive. Don't run around with high expectations and be happy with what you get. In the end I think you get out of MD it what you put in.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8591 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    I agree with Shakakka. Ie.: "What negativity" ? And a quick look at the forum show & tell sections show oodles of good stuff being found daily, friendly hunts with peers, etc....

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    2860 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakakka View Post
    Sounds honestly like you've got mood problems outside of detecting. No offense.

This forum is plenty positive, and I've had nothing but fun detecting. Is it hard to get good permissions? Sure. But that's what makes the payoff so sweet in the end.

Good luck, and try to stay positive. Don't run around with high expectations and be happy with what you get. In the end I think you get out of MD it what you put in.
    Boom! Couldn't have said it better myself...we all get frustrated, whether it's the weather, finding nothing but junk/clad etc...when I get frustrated, it's usually of my own doing. I work on new permissions, which isn't easy...but hey- if it were easy EVERYBODY would be doing it. Like Shak said, you get out what you put in. Maybe upgrade with a decent, mid-grade rig and you just might surprise yourself. Good luck! Hope things work out..Ddf

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    8644 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    YES !!!! It is worth it !!! Swing away my friend, and youll soon have that feeling that youve been looking for. You just have to rekindle the fire.

us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    9216 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    "Is it worth it any more? " is a question of priorities as to what IT is.
    My priorities are (1) enjoying the research, (2) hunting the researched sites, (3) being outdoors--preferrably with friends; and (4) finding something--the 'icing on the cake'.
    My answer is 'yes' since I can enjoy the first three priorities without the need for the fourth.
    Don......

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12706 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Yes, it's worth it. My best bets are private properties. A breeze once you get a permission, and lots of good stuff to be had in a stress free environment.

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    10522 times
    Metal Detecting
    there is always something good waiting for you

if you don't think so, give it up and watch TV ( if you start caring what people think you are done)
    WHEN WILL YOU SUBMIT TO MY BRILLIANCE AND IMPROVE YOUR LIFE?

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2014
    fairview park, ohio
    Fisher F4, whites prizm III
    211 times
    if you enjoy it then its always worth it. I find its better to go out and do then to sit and wonder. If you have the means then id go after it. i personally have no other hobbies, i dont smoke and i dont drink. really only other thing i do is lottery. so i need something other than bills to spend my money on. Ive seen a few post on here of people selling their equipment cause they physically cant do it anymore. i hope that day is far off for me, but if you can than you should. its only money and you cant take it with you. live now.
    Truth1253 likes this.
    Fuzzy was here...or wuzzy?

we're all here cause we're not all there!

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    10522 times
    Metal Detecting
    fuzzy if you have no costly habits please send me the money you would have spent

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    13328 times
    Worth it for what?
    I like poking around layers of history. With or without a detector.
    One nagging negative I don't ignore are poor recovery site repairs others leave in some public places. I risk looking suspect trying to repair them on the rare public hunts ,but that does not take away the worth of detecting to me.

Then there are those special ( to my interest anyway) leads I peck away at that are of special interest. The detector part is a small part of.....but an important part.
    Worth it? Maybe. It holds my attention as a different recreation. Would not know what doing it for a living would be like, as far as worth.

us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    837 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    I don't look at MDing as any different from the many obsessions I've had over the many years I've been on this earth... waterfowling, deer hunting, fishing, golf (and those are just the good ones). If it's not enjoyable, then don't do it. I never expected to get rich MDing or even to pay for my equipment. I enjoy finding older stuff, even if it's just an ox shoe or a square nail and wondering how it got there and who held it last before me. I am not in competition with anyone so I am happy when site members post great finds. I just wish I had started long ago and had gotten my Dad and my Uncle involved before they moved on to a happier place. If you decide to dive back in, I hope you make some great finds and some great friends.
    HH
    dts

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Makro Multi Kruzer -- Notka Pinpointer -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger
    18354 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by hadite81 View Post
    Just getting back into the hobby after an eight year absence.
    all of the negativity I have seen or read about lately regarding MD'ing, I have to ask myself if it is really worth the investment again.

I looked into canned hunts, and see they are from $100 to $160 for entry fees... my how times have changed.

I still have my detectors from years ago, but was looking to upgrade to newer gear ( wireless etc..)

my .02
    NO, it is NOT worth it. Please, take a hard look at canoe building, or Peruvian Beaver Conservation - Anything but metal detecting! Move along, nothing to see here..

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    767 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It's worth the fun and exercise. Those that give detecting a bad name will always be there. Anyway just jump back into it and enjoy. I have been accepted by asking permission more than I have been rejected.
    dsdigger, A2coins and rook3434 like this.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2014
    fairview park, ohio
    Fisher F4, whites prizm III
    211 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    fuzzy if you have no costly habits please send me the money you would have spent
    I have teenagers...
    Fuzzy was here...or wuzzy?

we're all here cause we're not all there!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links