I'm so excited I have to share the news.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was grape shot and canister that both demoralized and devastated Gen. Pickett's division at Gettysburg on July 3, 1863 during Pickett's Charge. As his division closed within about 300 yards the order to ram double canister was given to the Union gun crews and they rammed and fired 2 canister shell's per gun one atop of the other into the approaching lines of Confederate Infantry. Simply Horrible almost 155 years later.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was grape shot and canister that both demoralized and devastated Gen. Pickett's division at Gettysburg on July 3, 1863 during Pickett's Charge. As his division closed within about 300 yards the order to ram double canister was given to the Union gun crews and they rammed and fired 2 canister shell's per gun one atop of the other into the approaching lines of Confederate Infantry. Simply Horrible almost 155 years later.

Terrible I tell yeah. Smh

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icewing your op states fed guns firing canister at the guns positioned on a ridge.Nothing about advancing reb troops.

But I never stated that they were dug in, just that that's where they were when the Union started firing their guns at them, and that they continued to fire at them for over 2 hours.

This all took place very near the Elkhorn Tavern.
Look at the top right of this map.
th(66).jpg

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all about finding some cool stuff and historical items...but with the detrimental restrictions they have made for all detectorists...idk if I would want to help them. Don't get me wrong it sounds fun as heck...but if we want to detect, it pretty much breaks every law...but when it's for them, it's perfectly Okay? Idk how I feel about it. Good luck though and I you have a blast! Make sure you take some good pics...and maybe some souvenirs ;)

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have fun if that’s what you wanna do, but if you find a gold coin I recommend you slide it in your glove.

Unless they require you to be strip searched at the end of each day. Really though, I'm sure it will all go well, and I'm hope even better than well. I've no doubt the Icewing and the others will show that we are not the villain's they traditionally think of us as, but actually as good guys that enjoy a great hobby, nothing more, and of course one of two things may happen at the end, and that might be (one), they might no longer view us as some sort of threat or as "looters", and really ease off the "Metal Detecting Community", or (two), the fella's detecting there for them had been SO successful in finding so many things of interest over such a large area that metal detecting should be banned and allowed only by licensed and qualified detectorist, (licensed & qualified only by them. "Archeologists") I do not believe that will ever happen though, and over all, I think we are reading too much in this, and that would include me I suppose. Overall, this is a really great opportunity for Icewing and the others, and I'm sure that there are more than a few of us that are somewhat envious, and again, that would include me. When all is said and done, perhaps the current generation of archeologist WILL have an attitude change toward us, after all, some of their thoughts toward people who "Metal Detect" may have been taught to them. Anyway, enough from me. A Great, Great opportunity for these guys, and again I do look forward to any photos and stories about the whole five day event.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless they require you to be strip searched at the end of each day. Really though, I'm sure it will all go well, and I'm hope even better than well. I've no doubt the Icewing and the others will show that we are not the villain's they traditionally think of us as, but actually as good guys that enjoy a great hobby, nothing more, and of course one of two things may happen at the end, and that might be (one), they might no longer view us as some sort of threat or as "looters", and really ease off the "Metal Detecting Community", or (two), the fella's detecting there for them had been SO successful in finding so many things of interest over such a large area that metal detecting should be banned and allowed only by licensed and qualified detectorist, (licensed & qualified only by them. "Archeologists") I do not believe that will ever happen though, and over all, I think we are reading too much in this, and that would include me I suppose. Overall, this is a really great opportunity for Icewing and the others, and I'm sure that there are more than a few of us that are somewhat envious, and again, that would include me. When all is said and done, perhaps the current generation of archeologist WILL have an attitude change toward us, after all, some of their thoughts toward people who "Metal Detect" may have been taught to them. Anyway, enough from me. A Great, Great opportunity for these guys, and again I do look forward to any photos and stories about the whole five day event.

It will be interesting to actually be methodical as archeologists get. I which them all the best. As for me I would do it to help them, learn and even give up the goods for no pay, but that gold coin would have to come my way.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dream Job - Congratulations! :skullflag:
A dream job, for sure! But just that, a dream. Have you ever dreamt of finding a bag of gold coins.... only to wake up and find it ain't so? How about finding the Ark, only to have the archies say THEY found it? I would participate only if the detectorists got proper, recorded credit. ╦╦Ç

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many times the detecting will get interrupted for a survey/dig by them. Really curious about this. Let me know if it turned out to be free reign or if every time something was found, all work is halted. I also wonder if they will just give you guys flags to place in the ground at the targets but restrict you all from digging. Hope not. But if they wanted to be darn sure that nobody was pocketing items, that's the way I imagine they would do it. "Mark the targets, leave the digging to us"

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dream job, for sure! But just that, a dream. Have you ever dreamt of finding a bag of gold coins.... only to wake up and find it ain't so? How about finding the Ark, only to have the archies say THEY found it? I would participate only if the detectorists got proper, recorded credit. ╦╦Ç

Yes each detectorist gets credit for their own finds.

I wonder how many times the detecting will get interrupted for a survey/dig by them. Really curious about this. Let me know if it turned out to be free reign or if every time something was found, all work is halted. I also wonder if they will just give you guys flags to place in the ground at the targets but restrict you all from digging. Hope not. But if they wanted to be darn sure that nobody was pocketing items, that's the way I imagine they would do it. "Mark the targets, leave the digging to us"

No there won't be hold ups. I did this last year on some of the horse trails in the same military park last winter, but with Midwest Archeology Group. They let us dig our own targets and measure how deep they were burried, then we write our name and the depth on the flag so they can come along behind us and gather and record the findings. There won't be time for any paintbrush digging or anything like that, it's not that kind of dig.

From what I understand they are clearing this area of relics because they are going to put (replica) cannons out there. They do a lot of (blank) firing demonstrations, so I don't know if it's for that or if they are just adding a stop for their tours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread