I'm so excited I have to share the news.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The National Parks Service and the Arkansas Archeological Survey ask me and a select few others to help them with an upcoming Civil War relic hunt this coming March. Apparently they located a 38 acre ridge where the Confederates had set up their guns and the Union spent over 2 hours firing canister shot at them. I went out there yesterday and they gave me a quick look at the ridge we are to be clearing. According to them it's virgin ground that's never been dug and it's supposedly loaded with relics.

They only invited about 10 or 12 of us who they already know are good at what we do to help them clear 38 acres, and we are only getting 5 days to do it. Since it is a ridge top out in the forest they will be burning off the leave and vegetation to help prep the site for us.

The only down side is we will be doing it as unpaid volunteers and they of course will be cataloging and keeping everything we find. Of course that's how it always works when we work with archeologists so it's not really anything new. The only new rule for this dig is that we can't invite any of our friends.

As I already mentioned the hunt won't be taking place till the middle of March but I'll be sure to take lots of pictures this time and post them here when the time comes.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like fun.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have great time and enjoy the experience. :icon_thumleft:

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of working with an Archaeological team to search one of the oldest (1637) battle sites in America...Great fun!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Did the Archie's tell you the feds were firing canister.Canister was used on massed targets,not dug in troops or artillery positions.I bet the Archie's can't wait to see their new collections that you sweated for.lol

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dream Job - Congratulations! :skullflag:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure they will like what they get for nothing. However, that doesn't mean you won't have fun digging!

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually contacted by one of the bosses at the military park who works for the National Parks service but the AAS is who is in charge of the dig. The way I see it it's a good way to learn what to look for, where to look for it and, what it sounds like under my coil. It's also a good way to build a good reputation with people who may help me to getting permission on some good private properties.

Seeing as how it's a Federally protected archeology site, this is the only way anyone can dig there without risking going to prison, and a good way to shed some of the pounds I put on over this frozen winter.

Yes it too have my objections to how archeologists act toward some of us at times and how they think we are just looters. But we can take the high road and try to change their perspective. If that doesn't work, as a volunteer I can get in my truck and go home whenever I want.

I'm there to learn and have fun doing it. Hopefully my efforts will also contribute to the educations of our future generations.

My collection is only as nice as it is because I'm willing to put in the the time and effort that I do.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the Archie's tell you the feds were firing canister.Canister was used on massed targets,not dug in troops or artillery positions.I bet the Archie's can't wait to see their new collections that you sweated for.lol

Yes indeed, they even know the date that it happened The guy who confirmed the location did so by finding said canister shot, and apparently there is a lot of it.

And I need the exercise, it sure beats walking on a belt to nowhere or lifting weights and putting them back down for no good reason.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
To me firing canister would make no sense whatsoever.Canister has much shorter range than solid shot or shrapnel,explosive rounds.The fed guns would have to be close to the reb guns making them sitting ducks.Theyre wrong.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds great! whatever you find is YOUR find whether you get to keep it or not

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me firing canister would make no sense whatsoever.Canister has much shorter range than solid shot or shrapnel,explosive rounds.The fed guns would have to be close to the reb guns making them sitting ducks.Theyre wrong.

I trust anything Red says about the CW, he was there

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the archies tag along and haul all the stuff out for you.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations you are very lucky!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's funny you know so much based on so little information.
Feel free to look up the Battle of Pea Ridge.
The portion we will be digging was part of the events that took place March 7th, 1862.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
if you find a gold coin stuff in to your pocket quickly :laughing7: (just kidding)

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the archies tag along and haul all the stuff out for you.

Oh they will. If we do it like last year, we dig it, and measure it's depth. Then we place it on or beside a little flag so the archies can mark it on their GPS, put each item in what looks like little numbered evidence bags, then they get to lug it around all day. Even if I dig nails they log and bag them. If it's really cool I snap pics on my phone before they can get to me. I dig and smile, they carry the weight.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised that there isn't "OMG that's so fricken cool you lucky bugger", or "damn, I sure wish I was going on that dig"!?!

Sure I would love to be able to keep some of my finds (and who knows they may just give you some duplicates), but even if they don't, the event itself would be amazing!

Me personally, I'm looking forward to your stories and seeing you pictures.

I also agree with this possibly of opening up some doors in other areas that the archies aren't too concerned about. They will already know who you are, how you dig your holes, and how you look after the site.

What better endorsement for future permissions can there be??

I truly hope you find some amazing things, and wish you the best of luck!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Icewing, Congrat's to you on a prestegious relic hunt invite on virgin ground that most relic hunters only get to dream about. Pic's of your finds. You can keep pic's forever. Keep us posted on your upcoming hunt.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would keep my ears at attention for sure, you might just overhear info of other places ,they know about on unprotected property. you know es-drop. if there was one battle there must be other locations.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it’s a great opportunity and privilege. A little good will can go a long way and who knows what other opportunities might be given to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions