Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Just sitting waiting for a parking spot and a perp ran into our car....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2007
    Southern MN
    AT Pro and Ace 300
    36 times
    Heroism usually involves doing something incredibly stupid without time to think about it and somehow coming out of it OK. Sometimes it does not end well though.
    pepperj, dts52 and RustyGold like this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16289 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by faribo View Post
    Heroism usually involves doing something incredibly stupid without time to think about it and somehow coming out of it OK. Sometimes it does not end well though.
    Totally relatable. It turns into " Should have, Could have, Would have, type thing in many cases.
    gold boy likes this.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    927 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    Being retired does the awareness retire as well?

Just that we have a friend and he's been out of the action for 15yrs but still as sharp as a cat.
    No...but my 66 year old knees aren't what my 30 year old ones were. 😠
    pepperj and RustyGold like this.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    11568 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Arthritis won't let me chase squat. Here's a couple real stories. I was visiting my daughter in Canada. I drive up to the border security, we go through the usual where are you from, what are you doing here, etc, and the agent asks me if I have any alcohol, tobacco or firearms. Well no, I don't drink, smoke or want to carry a firearm across an international border as I'm not totally stupid. Agent asks if I have a knife or any pepper mace - note to all you CANNOT take pepper spray into Canada. Period. Well, no, sorry I don't have any of those. At this point I think the agent is mental. So the agent asks me what would I do if someone came after me? I tapped my Olds Cutlass on the side door and said matter of factly, "this here car weighs 2 tons". And smiled. At which point the agent said Welcome to Canada. And I lived happily ever after.

Two weeks ago at precisely 6:24 am my home alarm system went off. Thank you God for digital alarm clocks. That's when I found out levitation is quite possible. I hauled it out of the bed, turned on the one light, quickly turned the alarm OFF. And froze. The cats had freaked. And I listened. For about 10 seconds, at which point I grabbed the 12 gauge and loaded it. Fully. And listened. The cats came back like saying what did I do? So in my heart I knew there were no morons in the house (except maybe the one with the 12 gauge cannon. Sat down and called the security company, it was a basement window. So I took said thunder stick downstairs and nothing there. They came and replaced the sensor a couple days later. The cats were the real key, and nothing was moving except them and me.

For witnessing someone else's problem, I'd take the photo and call 911. These days I let the idiots in traffic "win" as you never which idiot has a weapon anymore.
    kcm likes this.

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    7579 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I donít seem to have the DNA to stand back and do nothing. Two incidents come to mind. One time Kim and I were driving down the street close to house and a guy was kicking his dog. I have zero tolerance for people that beat on animals. My thought process has always been the same. If nobody ever does anything people will just continue to do this crap and think thereís never going to be any repercussions. I yanked my truck up on the sidewalk, jumped out and tackled that pos. Iíve never had that hesitation that most people seem to have. Iím either all in or Iím all out. Thereís no in between for me. I sub consciously seem to know the few things that are just completely unacceptable for me. Itís a short list as most things donít really bother me. I gave that guy a few slaps in the face and asked him how he liked it. Itís pretty funny to me that somebody like that will beat on an animal but when confronted by another human they have no will to fight back. Is it because they know theyíre wrong or because theyíre just cowards?
    The other time Kim and I were walking out of Target and a guy was just outside the entrance whooping on a young boy saying some terrible things to him. Iím not talking about a couple of spanks. Iím talking yanking him around by his neck and backhanding him in the head. The kid was maybe 8-10 years old. Kim shot me a quick look as if to say ďI know youíre not going to walk away from this but donít overdo it.Ē I got behind him and put him in a choke hold to get him to let go of the kid. Then subdued him until the cops showed up. Kim was pretty pissed at me. Maybe rightfully so. Her thought process was that I just escalated this situation and made things worse for the child. This poor kid had to see all of this go down and it will stick with him forever. My argument was that if this happened in public it was probably far worse behind closed doors. Kim, like my mother believes physical confrontation is never the answer. I believe some people need to learn lessons the hard way and words just donít hit home. Trust me I remember the times my father gave me a good solid ass kicking. But part of the reason I love Kim is because she is far more gentle than I am.
    I will never understand how people can turn their heads at certain situations. I just couldnít live with myself. Iíd rather die doing something than live with the burden of doing nothing.
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

ca
    Feb 2009
    16289 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahab8 View Post
    I don’t seem to have the DNA to stand back and do nothing. Two incidents come to mind. One time Kim and I were driving down the street close to house and a guy was kicking his dog. I have zero tolerance for people that beat on animals. My thought process has always been the same. If nobody ever does anything people will just continue to do this crap and think there’s never going to be any repercussions. I yanked my truck up on the sidewalk, jumped out and tackled that pos. I’ve never had that hesitation that most people seem to have. I’m either all in or I’m all out. There’s no in between for me. I sub consciously seem to know the few things that are just completely unacceptable for me. It’s a short list as most things don’t really bother me. I gave that guy a few slaps in the face and asked him how he liked it. It’s pretty funny to me that somebody like that will beat on an animal but when confronted by another human they have no will to fight back. Is it because they know they’re wrong or because they’re just cowards?
    The other time Kim and I were walking out of Target and a guy was just outside the entrance whooping on a young boy saying some terrible things to him. I’m not talking about a couple of spanks. I’m talking yanking him around by his neck and backhanding him in the head. The kid was maybe 8-10 years old. Kim shot me a quick look as if to say “I know you’re not going to walk away from this but don’t overdo it.” I got behind him and put him in a choke hold to get him to let go of the kid. Then subdued him until the cops showed up. Kim was pretty pissed at me. Maybe rightfully so. Her thought process was that I just escalated this situation and made things worse for the child. This poor kid had to see all of this go down and it will stick with him forever. My argument was that if this happened in public it was probably far worse behind closed doors. Kim, like my mother believes physical confrontation is never the answer. I believe some people need to learn lessons the hard way and words just don’t hit home. Trust me I remember the times my father gave me a good solid ass kicking. But part of the reason I love Kim is because she is far more gentle than I am.
    I will never understand how people can turn their heads at certain situations. I just couldn’t live with myself. I’d rather die doing something than live with the burden of doing nothing.
    Sad part about the POS probably blamed the kid for his encounter with you and the law. I commend you Abe for standing up to them and doing your part as child and animal abuse is hand in hand, both done by cowards.

We were driving down a city street and this guy was pounding on a woman. I did a quick turn and stopped "memory kicks in-been down this road a few times" So I ask the woman do you want us to call the cops?
    She yells please! We go to the gas station and call the cops and they were on the POS before we returned-they took statement from us.
    The whole time the woman was pleading with the cops not to take her man away to jail.

At our company (scrap) I had these guys come in with a load and it was busy, the guys were nervous and yakking off at us to hurry up. I plainly stated that if they didn't like the way I ran the place they knew the gate was open and they could leave.
    All of a sudden one guy runs into the warehouse yelling the cops were coming! Turns out another POS was giving his wife/girlfriend a make over in the cab of the pick up. My wife called 911 and the guy burst through the door of the office trailer yelling for her to drop the phone.
    The 911 operator walked my wife through instructions on what to say to the Perp. By the time she finished the cops were on scene. Guy was on early release from already doing a 10yr bit in the Federal Pen.
    kcm likes this.

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    7579 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Sad part about the POS probably blamed the kid for his encounter with you and the law. I commend you Abe for standing up to them and doing your part as child and animal abuse is hand in hand, both done by cowards.

We were driving down a city street and this guy was pounding on a woman. I did a quick turn and stopped "memory kicks in-been down this road a few times" So I ask the woman do you want us to call the cops?
    She yells please! We go to the gas station and call the cops and they were on the POS before we returned-they took statement from us.
    The whole time the woman was pleading with the cops not to take her man away to jail.

At our company (scrap) I had these guys come in with a load and it was busy, the guys were nervous and yakking off at us to hurry up. I plainly stated that if they didn't like the way I ran the place they knew the gate was open and they could leave.
    All of a sudden one guy runs into the warehouse yelling the cops were coming! Turns out another POS was giving his wife/girlfriend a make over in the cab of the pick up. My wife called 911 and the guy burst through the door of the office trailer yelling for her to drop the phone.
    The 911 operator walked my wife through instructions on what to say to the Perp. By the time she finished the cops were on scene. Guy was on early release from already doing a 10yr bit in the Federal Pen.
    These situations arise a few times in your life. It sounds like you and your wife handled them in the most appropriate way. Itís so sad that humans and animals can be so mistreated by people and still be so loyal to the one abusing them. I have always been able to cut people out of my life very easily. I have no relationship with my father. Heís a nasty drunk with a violent streak and I knew long ago I didnít want to be like him and I didnít want him to be in my life. Kim on the other hand is extremely loyal and has put up with relatives that I would ha e dropped long ago. She believes you have to love somebody because theyíre youíre brother, sister, father etc. I believe we canít pick our relatives and we choose who we love and who we keep in our lives. I have very black and white views on most issues. I donít ha e time in my life to try to sort through all of the bs. I make a decision and move on. Itís an interesting topic for sure. I certainly have never once in my life had thoughts such as ďcan I get sued for this, will I get in trouble for this etc.Ē
    I react to things immediately and decisively. If thereís consequences to be paid for those decisions Iíll deal with them. Iím faced with tough situations on job sites quite often. You canít freeze up in front of an entire job site. You have to use all of your experience and trust yourself.
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

ca
    Feb 2009
    16289 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahab8 View Post
    These situations arise a few times in your life. It sounds like you and your wife handled them in the most appropriate way. It’s so sad that humans and animals can be so mistreated by people and still be so loyal to the one abusing them. I have always been able to cut people out of my life very easily. I have no relationship with my father. He’s a nasty drunk with a violent streak and I knew long ago I didn’t want to be like him and I didn’t want him to be in my life. Kim on the other hand is extremely loyal and has put up with relatives that I would ha e dropped long ago. She believes you have to love somebody because they’re you’re brother, sister, father etc. I believe we can’t pick our relatives and we choose who we love and who we keep in our lives. I have very black and white views on most issues. I don’t ha e time in my life to try to sort through all of the bs. I make a decision and move on. It’s an interesting topic for sure. I certainly have never once in my life had thoughts such as “can I get sued for this, will I get in trouble for this etc.”
    I react to things immediately and decisively. If there’s consequences to be paid for those decisions I’ll deal with them. I’m faced with tough situations on job sites quite often. You can’t freeze up in front of an entire job site. You have to use all of your experience and trust yourself.
    Abe I'm lucky to have a partner in life to keep things balanced out as I am very much like what you describe. I describe it as a light switch, either it's on or off no in between. If anybody tries holding one in the between it will start to short out trying to decide which way to go.

From making a life out of buying and selling I can make my mind up in mere seconds, and that goes for making a decision on a job site as well.

This went for mixing it up, or walking away, though the decades has matured my thinking process in that regard, but not making me meek in any way.
    ANTIQUARIAN and kcm like this.

ca
    Detect everyday like it's your last day!

Apr 2010
    Southern Ontario
    XP Deus, Garrett AT PRO, Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel, 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    2843 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Interesting what happens when you're least expecting it, especially when you're just doing some shopping for grubs.
    Thankfully, I've never been put in a situation like that before Jim, but if I ever do, I hope that I'd be able to assist the person in need.

You're a good man, don't let anyone tell you different my friend!

Dave
    pepperj likes this.
    ďI won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.Ē
    ďCourage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.Ē
    ďLife's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.Ē
    ― John Wayne

ca
    Feb 2009
    16289 times
    Relic Hunting
    Well I read in the morning paper the cops looked at the picture taken of the Perp. They were waiting for him when he arrived at his home. He tried to sneak through his back yard into the house but was arrested. Recovered was the $9000.00 dollar diamond engagement rind he stole.
    So 3 breech of probation charges, along with the new charges on top, 32 yrs old and still a fool.
    gold boy likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    random chat thread member

Jul 2017
    Texas
    bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2
    3506 times
    Metal Detecting
    i think i told this one already but i'll tel it again My kick boxing teacher was walking towards the hotel entrance when three guys jumped him. he stands about 5ft and was a black belt the two guys attacked first he knocked them out he turned towards the third guy he was running down street. Since he told that story
    i learned size doesn't matter
    pepperj likes this.
    i'm a rebel from today's culture

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36į60'
    2289 times
    Ive never been a hero, probably because #1 I am very timid and #2 I never quite know when to leap into action.

When I was kid working in a city, once I was on break in a shopping mall next to the work site when I heard a woman scream, then a fellow runs right by me carrying a woman's purse in both hands. Like five feet away and across my path. I could have probably stuck out my foot and tripped him if I would of realized he just stole a woman's purse, but I just looked at him and he looked at me and he kept right on running for the door.

I got a real good look at him though. Urban man, mid 20's, stocky, short hair, about 5'10" , shiny green windbreaker with orange striped sleeves. The cops caught him.
    pepperj, gold boy and RustyGold like this.
    I cannot make you think. I can give you something to think about, but whether or not you choose to think about what is offered and how you think about it is entirely up to you. In the same manner, I cannot make you get offended. I have no control over your behavior. Getting offended, or keeping your cool is your choice. It is all up to YOU cupcake!

.....if words can hurt you what will punches do?

ca
    Feb 2009
    16289 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post
    Ive never been a hero, probably because #1 I am very timid and #2 I never quite know when to leap into action.

When I was kid working in a city, once I was on break in a shopping mall next to the work site when I heard a woman scream, then a fellow runs right by me carrying a woman's purse in both hands. Like five feet away and across my path. I could have probably stuck out my foot and tripped him if I would of realized he just stole a woman's purse, but I just looked at him and he looked at me and he kept right on running for the door.

I got a real good look at him though. Urban man, mid 20's, stocky, short hair, about 5'10" , shiny green windbreaker with orange striped sleeves. The cops caught him.
    It's so strange that colour, height, weight can all change between eye witnesses. Must make the investigators go

Things happen so fast that most times its over and the brain is still processing. Then we all go done the "What if" thinking mode.
    Like I thought "What if" it happened a minute later and I just happen to open the car door and the perp. ran into the door edge?

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    5637 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It's so strange that colour, height, weight can all change between eye witnesses. Must make the investigators go

Things happen so fast that most times its over and the brain is still processing. Then we all go done the "What if" thinking mode.
    Like I thought "What if" it happened a minute later and I just happen to open the car door and the perp. ran into the door edge?
    We never considered 'eye witness' testimony to be the end all be all in closing a case. Granted, it gave you some info on where to start, but a good defense attorney can discredit eye witness testimony if there's no physical evidence to back it up.
    RustyGold and pepperj like this.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800
    4468 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    One time, at our favorite music store, my twin brother and I saw some guy walk out with a Gibson 335 holding it in front of him so no one in the store could see him stealing it.
    We both knew something wasn’t right. So I yelled at him from several feet away and he threw the stolen Gibson into the bushes where we retrieved the guitar and returned it to the store owner.
    The store owner had no idea what had happened. He was so flustered he didn’t even thank us.
    It was a split decision by us to deem it a theft and we could of been wrong but we weren’t. Our gut instinct was right on target this time.
    gold boy, RGINN and pepperj like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links