Just sitting waiting for a parking spot and a perp ran into our car....

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don’t seem to have the DNA to stand back and do nothing. Two incidents come to mind. One time Kim and I were driving down the street close to house and a guy was kicking his dog. I have zero tolerance for people that beat on animals. My thought process has always been the same. If nobody ever does anything people will just continue to do this crap and think there’s never going to be any repercussions. I yanked my truck up on the sidewalk, jumped out and tackled that pos. I’ve never had that hesitation that most people seem to have. I’m either all in or I’m all out. There’s no in between for me. I sub consciously seem to know the few things that are just completely unacceptable for me. It’s a short list as most things don’t really bother me. I gave that guy a few slaps in the face and asked him how he liked it. It’s pretty funny to me that somebody like that will beat on an animal but when confronted by another human they have no will to fight back. Is it because they know they’re wrong or because they’re just cowards????
The other time Kim and I were walking out of Target and a guy was just outside the entrance whooping on a young boy saying some terrible things to him. I’m not talking about a couple of spanks. I’m talking yanking him around by his neck and backhanding him in the head. The kid was maybe 8-10 years old. Kim shot me a quick look as if to say “I know you’re not going to walk away from this but don’t overdo it.” I got behind him and put him in a choke hold to get him to let go of the kid. Then subdued him until the cops showed up. Kim was pretty pissed at me. Maybe rightfully so. Her thought process was that I just escalated this situation and made things worse for the child. This poor kid had to see all of this go down and it will stick with him forever. My argument was that if this happened in public it was probably far worse behind closed doors. Kim, like my mother believes physical confrontation is never the answer. I believe some people need to learn lessons the hard way and words just don’t hit home. Trust me I remember the times my father gave me a good solid ass kicking. But part of the reason I love Kim is because she is far more gentle than I am.
I will never understand how people can turn their heads at certain situations. I just couldn’t live with myself. I’d rather die doing something than live with the burden of doing nothing.

Sad part about the POS probably blamed the kid for his encounter with you and the law. I commend you Abe for standing up to them and doing your part as child and animal abuse is hand in hand, both done by cowards.

We were driving down a city street and this guy was pounding on a woman. I did a quick turn and stopped "memory kicks in-been down this road a few times" So I ask the woman do you want us to call the cops?
She yells please! We go to the gas station and call the cops and they were on the POS before we returned-they took statement from us.
The whole time the woman was pleading with the cops not to take her man away to jail.:dontknow:

At our company (scrap) I had these guys come in with a load and it was busy, the guys were nervous and yakking off at us to hurry up. I plainly stated that if they didn't like the way I ran the place they knew the gate was open and they could leave.
All of a sudden one guy runs into the warehouse yelling the cops were coming! Turns out another POS was giving his wife/girlfriend a make over in the cab of the pick up. My wife called 911 and the guy burst through the door of the office trailer yelling for her to drop the phone.
The 911 operator walked my wife through instructions on what to say to the Perp. By the time she finished the cops were on scene. Guy was on early release from already doing a 10yr bit in the Federal Pen.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad part about the POS probably blamed the kid for his encounter with you and the law. I commend you Abe for standing up to them and doing your part as child and animal abuse is hand in hand, both done by cowards.

We were driving down a city street and this guy was pounding on a woman. I did a quick turn and stopped "memory kicks in-been down this road a few times" So I ask the woman do you want us to call the cops?
She yells please! We go to the gas station and call the cops and they were on the POS before we returned-they took statement from us.
The whole time the woman was pleading with the cops not to take her man away to jail.:dontknow:

At our company (scrap) I had these guys come in with a load and it was busy, the guys were nervous and yakking off at us to hurry up. I plainly stated that if they didn't like the way I ran the place they knew the gate was open and they could leave.
All of a sudden one guy runs into the warehouse yelling the cops were coming! Turns out another POS was giving his wife/girlfriend a make over in the cab of the pick up. My wife called 911 and the guy burst through the door of the office trailer yelling for her to drop the phone.
The 911 operator walked my wife through instructions on what to say to the Perp. By the time she finished the cops were on scene. Guy was on early release from already doing a 10yr bit in the Federal Pen.

These situations arise a few times in your life. It sounds like you and your wife handled them in the most appropriate way. It’s so sad that humans and animals can be so mistreated by people and still be so loyal to the one abusing them. I have always been able to cut people out of my life very easily. I have no relationship with my father. He’s a nasty drunk with a violent streak and I knew long ago I didn’t want to be like him and I didn’t want him to be in my life. Kim on the other hand is extremely loyal and has put up with relatives that I would ha e dropped long ago. She believes you have to love somebody because they’re you’re brother, sister, father etc. I believe we can’t pick our relatives and we choose who we love and who we keep in our lives. I have very black and white views on most issues. I don’t ha e time in my life to try to sort through all of the bs. I make a decision and move on. It’s an interesting topic for sure. I certainly have never once in my life had thoughts such as “can I get sued for this, will I get in trouble for this etc.”
I react to things immediately and decisively. If there’s consequences to be paid for those decisions I’ll deal with them. I’m faced with tough situations on job sites quite often. You can’t freeze up in front of an entire job site. You have to use all of your experience and trust yourself.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These situations arise a few times in your life. It sounds like you and your wife handled them in the most appropriate way. It’s so sad that humans and animals can be so mistreated by people and still be so loyal to the one abusing them. I have always been able to cut people out of my life very easily. I have no relationship with my father. He’s a nasty drunk with a violent streak and I knew long ago I didn’t want to be like him and I didn’t want him to be in my life. Kim on the other hand is extremely loyal and has put up with relatives that I would ha e dropped long ago. She believes you have to love somebody because they’re you’re brother, sister, father etc. I believe we can’t pick our relatives and we choose who we love and who we keep in our lives. I have very black and white views on most issues. I don’t ha e time in my life to try to sort through all of the bs. I make a decision and move on. It’s an interesting topic for sure. I certainly have never once in my life had thoughts such as “can I get sued for this, will I get in trouble for this etc.”
I react to things immediately and decisively. If there’s consequences to be paid for those decisions I’ll deal with them. I’m faced with tough situations on job sites quite often. You can’t freeze up in front of an entire job site. You have to use all of your experience and trust yourself.

Abe I'm lucky to have a partner in life to keep things balanced out as I am very much like what you describe. I describe it as a light switch, either it's on or off no in between. If anybody tries holding one in the between it will start to short out trying to decide which way to go.

From making a life out of buying and selling I can make my mind up in mere seconds, and that goes for making a decision on a job site as well.

This went for mixing it up, or walking away, though the decades has matured my thinking process in that regard, but not making me meek in any way.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting what happens when you're least expecting it, especially when you're just doing some shopping for grubs. :laughing7:
Thankfully, I've never been put in a situation like that before Jim, but if I ever do, I hope that I'd be able to assist the person in need.

You're a good man, don't let anyone tell you different my friend!

Dave

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I read in the morning paper the cops looked at the picture taken of the Perp. They were waiting for him when he arrived at his home. He tried to sneak through his back yard into the house but was arrested. Recovered was the $9000.00 dollar diamond engagement rind he stole.
So 3 breech of probation charges, along with the new charges on top, 32 yrs old and still a fool.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i think i told this one already but i'll tel it again My kick boxing teacher was walking towards the hotel entrance when three guys jumped him. he stands about 5ft and was a black belt the two guys attacked first he knocked them out he turned towards the third guy he was running down street. Since he told that story
i learned size doesn't matter

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never been a hero, probably because #1 I am very timid and #2 I never quite know when to leap into action.

When I was kid working in a city, once I was on break in a shopping mall next to the work site when I heard a woman scream, then a fellow runs right by me carrying a woman's purse in both hands. Like five feet away and across my path. I could have probably stuck out my foot and tripped him if I would of realized he just stole a woman's purse, but I just looked at him and he looked at me and he kept right on running for the door.

I got a real good look at him though. Urban man, mid 20's, stocky, short hair, about 5'10" , shiny green windbreaker with orange striped sleeves. The cops caught him.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ive never been a hero, probably because #1 I am very timid and #2 I never quite know when to leap into action.

When I was kid working in a city, once I was on break in a shopping mall next to the work site when I heard a woman scream, then a fellow runs right by me carrying a woman's purse in both hands. Like five feet away and across my path. I could have probably stuck out my foot and tripped him if I would of realized he just stole a woman's purse, but I just looked at him and he looked at me and he kept right on running for the door.

I got a real good look at him though. Urban man, mid 20's, stocky, short hair, about 5'10" , shiny green windbreaker with orange striped sleeves. The cops caught him.

It's so strange that colour, height, weight can all change between eye witnesses. Must make the investigators go :icon_scratch:

Things happen so fast that most times its over and the brain is still processing. Then we all go done the "What if" thinking mode.
Like I thought "What if" it happened a minute later and I just happen to open the car door and the perp. ran into the door edge?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's so strange that colour, height, weight can all change between eye witnesses. Must make the investigators go :icon_scratch:

Things happen so fast that most times its over and the brain is still processing. Then we all go done the "What if" thinking mode.
Like I thought "What if" it happened a minute later and I just happen to open the car door and the perp. ran into the door edge?
We never considered 'eye witness' testimony to be the end all be all in closing a case. Granted, it gave you some info on where to start, but a good defense attorney can discredit eye witness testimony if there's no physical evidence to back it up.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
One time, at our favorite music store, my twin brother and I saw some guy walk out with a Gibson 335 holding it in front of him so no one in the store could see him stealing it.
We both knew something wasn’t right. So I yelled at him from several feet away and he threw the stolen Gibson into the bushes where we retrieved the guitar and returned it to the store owner.
The store owner had no idea what had happened. He was so flustered he didn’t even thank us.
It was a split decision by us to deem it a theft and we could of been wrong but we weren’t. Our gut instinct was right on target this time.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
We live in The South and carry pistols.

There is "usually" a warning shot to indicate that it is time to stop running.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
due to the high cost of ammo no warning shots will be fired

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,, I'm really sorry to hear about all this criminal activity and violence. When I was living in NYC,, that sort of stuff never happened.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
that is surprising considering were you used to live

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All it really depends on is who is paying attention.

Not heroism, but i did probably save two guys once. We were demolishing a metal lath and plaster wall in 100 year old department store. It was a strange partition for a store window display, about 2-1/2" thick and lathed on both sides of 1" rolled steel channel. A lot like other partitions we had demolished in the same building but much thicker. The three of us were cutting it out in 4' sqaures with a 12" circular saw. Messy dusty work.

Anyways I had to go use the Porta-John. Come back and I see all that is holding up the soffit above the storefront is the two 2" X 3" kingstuds of a door frame, and one of my partners was about to cut a kingstud! I could see from a distance while I was walking up that the whole thing was starting to buckle and my two partners were underneath the whole mess!

I just unplugged their power from where I was fifty feet away and called the two over. They just stood there and look at me like "WTF!?", so I says " The foreman wants to talk to you". They come over to me and I explained the situation- "Some poor S.O.B has to sneak in there, chain up a king stud, and we will pull the stud and let it drop".

As soon as the words were out of my mouth both kingstuds broke, and half a ton of lath and plaster soffit came swinging down. It was still held up on the window side of the store display so when it swung down it went crashing through the window and right out into the street. It would probably have took us all if we were underneath that soffit.

That was almost three decades ago, and I still have nightmares about what could have happened.My work partners and i were all o.k. though, all because I had to drop a duce in the Porta-John. And I was paying attention.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We live in The South and carry pistols.

There is "usually" a warning shot to indicate that it is time to stop running.

Then it goes like a story a retired Pen. officer told me this morning. Fed. inmate escaped, officers were issued 38cal. pistols. Officer came across the inmate in the bush, inmate says it's not the first time he's been shot, and bolts it.
Officer shoots warning shot and inmates goes over a steep incline and with officer aiming at his heels and fires.
Incline and the running of the inmate got a thigh hit.
So the warning shot just made the guy into a scared rabbit.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of folks here who have the need to intervene when needed. Most people aren't that way. Some others used to be, but have been kicked in the head enough to where they've been conditioned to stay put. As others have said, I'm not wired that way. Fortunately I live where there is virtually nothing wrong happening - otherwise, I'd probably be dead by now.

It's (in "my" opinion) the same instinct that fire fighters have when going into a burning structure, and I suppose the same as LEO's have when choosing that as a career. All I know for certain is, I never EVER want to be sitting around afterwards asking myself, "Why didn't I do something?" Just couldn't live with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread