Just sitting waiting for a parking spot and a perp ran into our car....

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We went into the city to do some top shopping of grub, see some friends. While stalking parking spots I see a person getting into a car right in front of the bank, ya!. So being a double lane one way street I stop behind the parked car with the blinker on, and wait, and wait. The person is in no hurry, getting out of the spot, starts the vehicle, puts it gear, and we wait.
Then we hear a crashing sound, yelling, somebody runs into the side of the car bounces off running down the street with a guy in a suit in hot on the perps heel yelling for somebody to stop him!
It happened so fast I gathered my thoughts and the wife says "Lets go and see if we can help"
Traffic clears, and I go down to the corner, only to see them rounding the other corner, by the time the traffic clears they're nearing the end of the next block.
The perp jumps into a car and they bolt from the intersection, and another person snaps a photo of the car. Game over they have the information needed ( if car was legit). So I turned back to the original parking spot and pulled in.
The cops arrive and it seems that it was a smash and grab from the jewelry store, and a wallet (which the perp dropped when he ran into our car.

I asked the wife what would you do if the guy had a gun and shot somebody? She replied "I wouldn't get out of the car and chase them"

I said that I would follow them in the car and play a case of bumper pool when I caught up to him. She said "But they'd sue you for hitting them, and what about insurance costs?"

I just said " Look the guy ran out in front of my car, sucks to be a robber with a gun" Let the chips fall where they fall.

Granted if the bumper pool happened on the sidewalk well I would have some explaining to do on that one. :laughing7:

Things happen so fast in life one wonders is better to play the 3 monkeys or lend a helping hand?
What would you do?

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Help. So many people stand back and do nothing. That's how these lowlife criminals get away with so much. Some good citizens have stopped some horrific things in the recent past. Many times the media does not report these things, seems bad news sells better. It's time for the people to put a stop to it. Some would say it's just stuff, it can be replaced. But I say to replace those things will take work, time, and sweat. This time is my life, you steal my things I worked for, than you steal my time. And nothing is more valuable than time, we are all only allotted a certain amount.

So stand up for what is yours and fight back, and help others fight back. This worrying about what the courts are going to say is a cowardly thing.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Unfortunately in todayā€™s world the low life criminals and just general low lifeā€™s (read generational welfare recipients) have all the rights and are catered to. Liberal judges always rule in their favor. So do what you can to help, just understand your probably going to be in some legal and of course financial trouble...

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Help. So many people stand back and do nothing. That's how these lowlife criminals get away with so much. Some good citizens have stopped some horrific things in the recent past. Many times the media does not report these things, seems bad news sells better. It's time for the people to put a stop to it. Some would say it's just stuff, it can be replaced. But I say to replace those things will take work, time, and sweat. This time is my life, you steal my things I worked for, than you steal my time. And nothing is more valuable than time, we are all only allotted a certain amount.

So stand up for what is yours and fight back, and help others fight back. This worrying about what the courts are going to say is a cowardly thing.

We were back at the scene, one lady spoke up and said that folks have to start taking fighting back instead of looking the other way. Folks are so afraid of getting hurt/sued/involved, but are the first to yell help it seems.

Many years ago I was sitting in my roll-off truck in my business yard. I was watching these two guys with hockey bags booking it down the street and then going in behind a dumpster in a neighbouring parking lot right across the street.
So I called 911- and reported it. The reply was "Well sir what makes you think that they're doing ANYTHING WRONG?" Well operator I'm watching two guys with lugging two large hockey bags in 35C weather, hiding behind a dumpster taking off their clothes and throwing theirs into the dumpster on a industrial business site. So either they sh** themselves or just did a crime and are changing"
Next thing there was cops all over the scene, helicopter, good take down.
Found out that the two had just did a home invasion and if I hadn't called it would of been just another open file in a cabinet.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

this is why i would like to conceal and also why i take MMA

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an incident a couple years ago, I was driving home and a young woman can running across her yard screaming her head off and waving her arms for me to stop. I stopped and she almost climbed into my truck. It was one of those WTF moments because I had no idea what was going on. Anyway, I got out and seen that she had been beaten and was trying to get away from her husband. He came out of the house, all 130 pounds of him, screaming and calling her names and he looked at me and said 'who the f$#$ are you" I lifted my shirt tail (I'll leave it at that) and said "I'm the one who's going to keep you from hurting her" His eye's got REAL big at that time because I'm 6'2 and 260 lbs and has visibly pissed off at that time. It didn't take him very long at all to get back in the house. Anyway, the police showed up and apparently this guy had 3 warrants for his arrest and could have really hurt this girl. Later on I would see her in the grocery store and she would always come up and hug me and say thank you because she was convinced he would have killed her. She got her life together and is doing pretty good now. I would rather die trying to help someone than to live with the thoughts that I did nothing.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow, lookingharder, you're like, another one of my many heroes, lol. :notworthy:

Yeah, I know about them wtf moments, getting them and giving them..... :laughing7:

and uuhhhh, I am sssoooooo bad at bumper pool......

let's just say..... :icon_scratch:

PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY...... :dontknow: :evil6:

Ya never know what one of them nine cats in my head, will do..... :laughing7:

355.gif cross-eyed-cat.jpg

YAY for the good guys! YAY! :hello2:

BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think everyone has a responsibility to do something if they see or suspect something isn't right. First responders and law enforcement do their thing for a reason. I'm not saying everyone needs to get personally involved, but at least make the call and give enough info as possible. If nothing is going on then everyone goes about their business but if something is going on that call can save someones life. And that someone is going to be a father, mother, brother, sister, child, or any other family/friend - could be mine, could be yours. We all need to speak up. I have never hesitated.

Just before the holidays I saw a guy wreck into a utility pole. I stopped to help and he backed up and took off. When he went past me he looked like a zombie so i figured he was on something. I called 911 and followed him until the police caught up. While following him he hit another pole, a tree, and the guide rail. One of the front tires fell off but the car kept going, unbelievably. Luckily we were on a back country road and the cops got him stopped before he made it into town. My mind was made up that if the cops didnt get there in time that I wasnt going to let him get into town. I couldnt stand the thought of him running into a yard or playground full of kids. Sure this could have turned into a legal fiasco for me but I'd rather deal with that then watching someone get hurt. The guy was drunk and on meth. Be safe!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What would I do? Let's see...I may not be able chase them down as well as I used to, but after 36 years in LE (retired)...what do you think. šŸ˜

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also want to add that I'm not the Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood type or someone who has something to prove. It was one of those split second, only took a few minuets and it was over things. The drive home left finger grip marks in the steering wheel cover and a thousand thoughts of WTF where you thinking and how it could have went south in a hurry. I guess anyone other than the professionals who has done some really irrational action like running into a burning house to save your neighbor or climbed into a burning car to save the driver has the same thoughts afterwards. My wife and I used to certify people in CPR and it always fascinated me to hear stories of people who used their training at a restaurant or other public place to hear that they didn't even realize what they had done until after EMS showed up and took over. That's why I still feel that people are inherently good when the situation presents itself.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had an incident a couple years ago, I was driving home and a young woman can running across her yard screaming her head off and waving her arms for me to stop. I stopped and she almost climbed into my truck. It was one of those WTF moments because I had no idea what was going on. Anyway, I got out and seen that she had been beaten and was trying to get away from her husband. He came out of the house, all 130 pounds of him, screaming and calling her names and he looked at me and said 'who the f$#$ are you" I lifted my shirt tail (I'll leave it at that) and said "I'm the one who's going to keep you from hurting her" His eye's got REAL big at that time because I'm 6'2 and 260 lbs and has visibly pissed off at that time. It didn't take him very long at all to get back in the house. Anyway, the police showed up and apparently this guy had 3 warrants for his arrest and could have really hurt this girl. Later on I would see her in the grocery store and she would always come up and hug me and say thank you because she was convinced he would have killed her. She got her life together and is doing pretty good now. I would rather die trying to help someone than to live with the thoughts that I did nothing.

I really think that domestics is the worse thing I have ever tried to help out with.
One time in a large mall parking lot I came across a guy pounding the deal out of a woman laying over a truck of the car.
Being young and half crazy I stopped in the opposing parking row, jumped out and grabbed the guy by the throat, threw him to the ground and started giving a good load if his own medicine in return.
The next thing I know I'm being beat with a club/bat! Here it goes his old lady is screaming and clubbing me to get off her old man.
Yup, two going crazy on me then, lost a tooth, more scraps than s good bar fight.
Note to self" Ask first then help"

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The bad part about helping out in some cases pepper is you have your punks,then again, you have the pros.T he guys that know what they're doing and aren't afraid to do it.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What would I do? Let's see...I may not be able chase them down as well as I used to, but after 36 years in LE (retired)...what do you think. ļ˜

Being retired does the awareness retire as well?

Just that we have a friend and he's been out of the action for 15yrs but still as sharp as a cat.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The bad part about helping out in some cases pepper is you have your punks,then again, you have the pros.T he guys that know what they're doing and aren't afraid to do it.

Came across a security van parked behind a Home Depot parking lot. (I used it as a short cut going to a brokerage house for metals.) I saw a older model station wagon with a woman sitting behind the wheel fixed stare straight ahead. Blanket in the back seat covering something lumpy, the side door of van open partly. I tried to get the woman attention to ask her if everything was ok, no lookie look in my direction. I slowly rolled back wrote the plate # down and drove off, and once I was out of sight I called it in.
Same response "Why would you think something is out of place sir" "Well just being observant I would say the a van with Medico locks on all the doors, thick secure window glass, beefed up suspension, heavy truck tires isn't a family van-so I'm going with an unmarked security van for valuables"
Returned 45 minutes later more cops than a good movie set. Stopped and questioned why I was trying to go through the area, and I stated that I called it into the 911. My next few hours was been questioned at the local lock-up about what I saw.
Story goes:Transit security van that does money pick ups was left running at a subway stop on the Young Line in Toronto. Perps drove off with van-how does this never make the news-and the first thing that comes to the mind is an inside set up job.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The only time I was ever arrested was for stopping a guy getting rough with a woman in a bar. Explained situation to judge the next morning, charges dropped, arrest expunged from record, so I am still clean. Sucked being in the drunk tank for a night, I guess I would do it again, but I don't go to bars anymore. It's been a while since I have witnessed anything intense like the OP saw. I prefer to keep to myself but don't think I could not try to help.

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
Heroism usually involves doing something incredibly stupid without time to think about it and somehow coming out of it OK. Sometimes it does not end well though.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heroism usually involves doing something incredibly stupid without time to think about it and somehow coming out of it OK. Sometimes it does not end well though.

Totally relatable. It turns into " Should have, Could have, Would have, type thing in many cases.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being retired does the awareness retire as well?

Just that we have a friend and he's been out of the action for 15yrs but still as sharp as a cat.
No...but my 66 year old knees aren't what my 30 year old ones were. šŸ˜ 

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arthritis won't let me chase squat. Here's a couple real stories. I was visiting my daughter in Canada. I drive up to the border security, we go through the usual where are you from, what are you doing here, etc, and the agent asks me if I have any alcohol, tobacco or firearms. Well no, I don't drink, smoke or want to carry a firearm across an international border as I'm not totally stupid. Agent asks if I have a knife or any pepper mace - note to all you CANNOT take pepper spray into Canada. Period. Well, no, sorry I don't have any of those. At this point I think the agent is mental. So the agent asks me what would I do if someone came after me? I tapped my Olds Cutlass on the side door and said matter of factly, "this here car weighs 2 tons". And smiled. At which point the agent said Welcome to Canada. And I lived happily ever after.

Two weeks ago at precisely 6:24 am my home alarm system went off. Thank you God for digital alarm clocks. That's when I found out levitation is quite possible. I hauled it out of the bed, turned on the one light, quickly turned the alarm OFF. And froze. The cats had freaked. And I listened. For about 10 seconds, at which point I grabbed the 12 gauge and loaded it. Fully. And listened. The cats came back like saying what did I do? So in my heart I knew there were no morons in the house (except maybe the one with the 12 gauge cannon. Sat down and called the security company, it was a basement window. So I took said thunder stick downstairs and nothing there. They came and replaced the sensor a couple days later. The cats were the real key, and nothing was moving except them and me.

For witnessing someone else's problem, I'd take the photo and call 911. These days I let the idiots in traffic "win" as you never which idiot has a weapon anymore.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I donā€™t seem to have the DNA to stand back and do nothing. Two incidents come to mind. One time Kim and I were driving down the street close to house and a guy was kicking his dog. I have zero tolerance for people that beat on animals. My thought process has always been the same. If nobody ever does anything people will just continue to do this crap and think thereā€™s never going to be any repercussions. I yanked my truck up on the sidewalk, jumped out and tackled that pos. Iā€™ve never had that hesitation that most people seem to have. Iā€™m either all in or Iā€™m all out. Thereā€™s no in between for me. I sub consciously seem to know the few things that are just completely unacceptable for me. Itā€™s a short list as most things donā€™t really bother me. I gave that guy a few slaps in the face and asked him how he liked it. Itā€™s pretty funny to me that somebody like that will beat on an animal but when confronted by another human they have no will to fight back. Is it because they know theyā€™re wrong or because theyā€™re just cowards????
The other time Kim and I were walking out of Target and a guy was just outside the entrance whooping on a young boy saying some terrible things to him. Iā€™m not talking about a couple of spanks. Iā€™m talking yanking him around by his neck and backhanding him in the head. The kid was maybe 8-10 years old. Kim shot me a quick look as if to say ā€œI know youā€™re not going to walk away from this but donā€™t overdo it.ā€ I got behind him and put him in a choke hold to get him to let go of the kid. Then subdued him until the cops showed up. Kim was pretty pissed at me. Maybe rightfully so. Her thought process was that I just escalated this situation and made things worse for the child. This poor kid had to see all of this go down and it will stick with him forever. My argument was that if this happened in public it was probably far worse behind closed doors. Kim, like my mother believes physical confrontation is never the answer. I believe some people need to learn lessons the hard way and words just donā€™t hit home. Trust me I remember the times my father gave me a good solid ass kicking. But part of the reason I love Kim is because she is far more gentle than I am.
I will never understand how people can turn their heads at certain situations. I just couldnā€™t live with myself. Iā€™d rather die doing something than live with the burden of doing nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions