Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: remember "Green Acres"?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden µMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3219 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    Do you use Miracle Grow in the water to help them?
    I crate my own custom mix pepperj. Miracle bro has nothing on my blend and it’s 100 cheaper since I buy in bulk.
    pepperj likes this.
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    981 times
    I always confused green acres with petticoat junction.

Chub

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15249 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterScoop View Post
    I have a 10,000 ft hydroponic heirloom tomato greenhouse that produces tons of tomatoes and vine clippings...those I mulch and I keep bees Inbetween all that I swing a coil in my “spare time.
    That's pretty interesting to read. When I retired and came home to live off my farm - nearly 4 years ago now, I was going into organic farming, going to sell at the local farmer's market. Started a thread in the Survival Forum, "Homesteading"...

It has been an action packed number of years, one thing right to the next. Members keep asking me to continue the thread. I don't know what to say to them but I'm still here. Gone all berry & fruit, no veggies. Kneading that soil in my raised beds and pulling a copperhead up by the tail along with poor returns on the veggies kinda took my motivation away. Though I still have plenty room for veggies if SHTF. Those fruits need to be about 5 years old before they really take off - time to get healthy, and time to take over. Raspberries galore this past year, and they'll be even heavier this coming year.

It's not even February, but temps into the teens here again tonight. Whatever may come, we will get by. That's called "peace".
    WaterScoop likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden µMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    I always confused green acres with petticoat junction.

Chub
    That’s because both have ‘Hooterville’ in common

Hooterville is a fictional farming community that is the setting for the American situation comedies Petticoat Junction (1963—70) and Green Acres (1965—1971), two rural-oriented television shows

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	523F0F37-4ACE-4A23-9162-CF7E57ACC30B.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	1543167 Name:  C98CB884-AEFA-4EA0-9720-CDF3DD6B1E2E.jpeg
Views: 85
Size:  34.6 KB

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooterville
    fistfulladirt likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    3219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    That's pretty interesting to read. When I retired and came home to live off my farm - nearly 4 years ago now, I was going into organic farming, going to sell at the local farmer's market. ...
    I sell heirloom tomatoes and honey at the farmers markets to support myself. Lots of work but very rewarding.
    I have the best tomatoes in the entire Pacific Northwest. And beyond
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    2597 times
    Quote Originally Posted by devldog View Post
    Sandchip, where are you located in Georgia? I'm from Covington, Georgia. Remember back in the early 70's when TBS came to Atlanta? Channel 17 and Roller derby?
    I'm south of Macon a ways. We could pick up WRBL3 in Columbus pretty good and WTVM9 so so. WMAZ13 in Macon came in fairly well, and once in a while, we could get WALB10 in Albany, but never that clearly. I remember Roller Derby on Saturday afternoons, and don't forget the Soooooooooouuuuullllll Train! No wonder we stayed outdoors all the time!
    sprailroad likes this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox
    7701 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    so many memories of so many people. soon, it will be our kids talking about what about their parents had to endure. "I had to walk 4 miles thru the snow to get to school everyday!" kids can't even imagine having a phone tethered to the wall and having to play outside. Games? heck we made our own games (some got us in trouble too). if a boy had some marbles and a pocket knife, he was set. if we caught some fish or managed to get a rabbit or something, we ate it for supper. we also ate REAL HAMBURGERS back then when we were able to get one. I can still remember lying on my back and watching the clouds slowly pass by, imagining this one was a lizard or whatever. Stress? That would be if dad broke out the big brown belt or mom the peach limb, then there was real stress!
    sprailroad and sandchip like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    981 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterScoop View Post
    I sell heirloom tomatoes and honey at the farmers markets to support myself. Lots of work but very rewarding.
    I have the best tomatoes in the entire Pacific Northwest. And beyond
    How many hives do you have? Ive been keeping bees for years and years but more as pets - ha ha. -I don't really need to make a profit from them.(yet) I have a very rare bee here - the Capensis. they are a smallish bee but very strong producers.
    Fresh honey has a special aroma and flavour.

Chub

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    821 times
    Of course I remember Green Acres, it was the place to be!! LOL.....

Gun Smoke actually started off as a radio show, with William Conrad as the lead. I still enjoy that show.

I was watching a movie with my niece one day, when a scene came on that showed a dialup modem and the sound it made.

She had no idea what was happening, so I had to explain to her how it worked.

Then she asked, "couldn't you have gone to a friends house and used their internet"? LOL.......

I should show her the picture of the kid laying on the floor tied to the house phone, that would likely blow her mind!!
    Last edited by Geobound; Jan 30, 2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: I realized something I said sound insensitive, and didn't mean it that way. I decided to delete it out of respect to others.
    sprailroad and fistfulladirt like this.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

us
    Jan 2017
    East of snowflake Arizona completely off grid
    Mine-Lab X-Terra 705 with three coils 5x10 hf,9 inch 7 mf and 6 inch hf Garrett AT pro
    294 times
    I live off grid and the only way I have cell phone reception is with a cell phone signal booster it works great with out it I have zero bars with it I have 2-3 bars and 4g service

and yes I remember Green Acres tells me I am getting Old

look at the Wilson signal boosters or WE-BOOST

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    6200 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You post some of the funniest things that make me laugh out loud, dirtlooter. All that about texts and voice mail, you must be a high tech redneck, especially since I still call that an 'icebox' and not a refrigerator, haha!
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox
    7701 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGINN View Post
    You post some of the funniest things that make me laugh out loud, dirtlooter. All that about texts and voice mail, you must be a high tech redneck, especially since I still call that an 'icebox' and not a refrigerator, haha!
    a lot of us need to stop and laugh, most of us have our own funny experiences that tend to get lost as we get older. actually, I really struggle with the electronic stuff now, my wife has to help me on stuff like posting pictures, pasting etc. people like Red Skelton didn't have to curse to get you to laugh, they kept it pretty clean and people loved them. The icebox? I worked for years in a building lined with cork, it was the old ice plant where the huge pieces of ice would be stored. the ice was cut and sold so people could take it home to their real ice box. I can remember as a little kid (1959) going with my uncles in the old wore out ford truck to go see an armadillo, no one had seen one before and it was "exciting". now they are everywhere into everything and very destructive.
    RGINN likes this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Jan 2007
    morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
    1198 times
    I remember Arnold Ziffel on Green Acres, he would adjust the rabbit ears and could change channels.Not bad for a pig!
    dirtlooter likes this.
    No longer politically correct

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2116 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Loved Green Acres and never could understand why those red neckians didn't tap a wire so they wouldn't have to climb a pole?

We had one of the first TV remotes in our 'hood (mid-70's) and it came with a wire lol. 'Click-Click!'

Electric indoor directional rotor with 30-foot tower/antenna. We're talkin late 60's, I was seven.

Always wanted to build the Radio Electronics magazine directional long-range wifi hotspot locator, cheap, good for 8-10 miles line of sight.
    When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors

mx
    May 2010
    371 times
    Slightly off topic, several years ago I found a radio station in Alaska which had those old radio shows available for free download. I downloaded all the Gunsmoke shows. Fun to hear. There were many shows of different names, I have a folder with them in it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links