Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How about the part where the people have to go climb the pole to use the phone? Well, here in the area that I currently live in, we no longer have land lines and our reception is very poor at best. If and I say if, I realize that my cell phone is ringing or trying to, I have to make a run to get outside and to stand in a certain area where I hope for the best. Then, I get asked, are you okay, you sound out of breath so I have to tell them why. The internet... well, very sore subject, let's just say that I have to go up the road a ways and then hope for the best. we tend to get voice mails and texts a little on the very slow side. I had a friend text me five or six times to see if I would go with him on a long out of town trip to get a part. I saw him flying up to the house and wondered what his problem was as he jumped out in such a hurry. minutes later we were on our way and about half a mile away, I suddenly got all of his texts. yeah, I live in the mountains and it is what it is but, hopefully sometime later in the year, we will be living in a more favorable reception area. no more standing in the rain to talk on the phone etc. One of my friends spent big bucks to get a booster antenna set up for where he lived only to have a tower installed about half a mile away. And yet, I remember having to go outside and turn the very tall antenna pole so that the tv (only 2 channels possible) would come in better if at all. I also remember having to stand out there the entire time of a show so that my parents could see a certain show. I also remember trying to get on the stupid phone but the local gossip wouldn't get off (party line). of course I also remember going to the store in town to get a tube (for the TV) checked and or replaced. I also remember having a refrigerator last about forty years. in some ways, we are still pretty laid back around here but that seems to be slipping away as well. Remember....remember what?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Green Acres was a great show. Eddie Albert was one of many actors who served in WWII. Tougher times, but way better in so many ways. Yeah, I remember with the antenna, "Whoa, turn it back the other way a little bit. You went past it. Whoa. You can come on back in. That's as good as it's gonna come in." Better shows on the 2 channels we could pick up then than all of the ones put together nowadays.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to go outside to get cell phone reception at our "hobby farm". And when it rains heavy we lose satellite link for internet and TV.

We lose power monthly in the winter.

And I love it out here.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problems with using my cell out here in the middle of nowh

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try getting close to a window when you need better reception once Indoors.

However that being said I always turn my cellphone on AIRPLANE MODE. and take it off to check my messages and call people back.

HERE IS WHY...WATCH THIS IT MAY EXTEND YOUR LIFE OR THE LIFE OF A LOVED ONE

God Bless!

D9BCD43D-4B7E-453D-A32F-C0E17508E82E.jpeg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Home b/w tv repair consisted of mirror on chair, knitting needles reshaped ends for tools working around the high voltage tubes. As long as we could see the hockey puck it was good enough to watch the tube.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try getting close to a window when you need better reception once Indoors.

However that being said I always turn my cellphone on AIRPLANE MODE. and take it off to check my messages and call people back.

HERE IS WHY...WATCH THIS IT MAY EXTEND YOUR LIFE OR THE LIFE OF A LOVED ONE

God Bless!

View attachment 1542704

Now you just wrecked my day. :icon_thumright: Seriously this is a scary thing that most never even consider in their lives.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about when your parents watched T.V., you had to lay on the floor in front of it, to reach up and change the channel on command. (Of course only 4 channels, 3 local, 1 from Canada)

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to go outside to get cell phone reception at our "hobby farm". And when it rains heavy we lose satellite link for internet and TV.

We lose power monthly in the winter.

And I love it out here.

yes, I love it out here too. I am more than willing to put up with a lot of things to maintain a much quieter atmosphere to live in. yep, we lose power several times a week and always a couple times during the weekend. right now we are stuck on cable and in spite of what the company claims, the service is lousy and prone to be lost.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Green Acres was a great show. Eddie Albert was one of many actors who served in WWII. Tougher times, but way better in so many ways. Yeah, I remember with the antenna, "Whoa, turn it back the other way a little bit. You went past it. Whoa. You can come on back in. That's as good as it's gonna come in." Better shows on the 2 channels we could pick up then than all of the ones put together nowadays.

yes, there were a very lot of actors that were WWII vets, both on TV and in the movies. some were highly decorated too. I remember when someone got a electrical antenna that you could adjust from the inside, I couldn't wait for us to get one( my parents finally got one after I went into the service).

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I remember the show Matt Dillon that turned into Gun smoke.And Bonanza on Sat.night and having to turn the antenna just a little. I remember when you could burn your garbage out your back door and doctors would come to your house. Yes sir you are correct. The good old days are gone. Maybe for the best.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandchip, where are you located in Georgia? I'm from Covington, Georgia. Remember back in the early 70's when TBS came to Atlanta? Channel 17 and Roller derby?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandchip, where are you located in Georgia? I'm from Covington, Georgia. Remember back in the early 70's when TBS came to Atlanta? Channel 17 and Roller derby?

I forgot about "Roller Derby" loved watching it as a kid, thinking that "those were tough women".

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the show Matt Dillon that turned into Gun smoke.And Bonanza on Sat.night and having to turn the antenna just a little. I remember when you could burn your garbage out your back door and doctors would come to your house. Yes sir you are correct. The good old days are gone. Maybe for the best.

I can still burn my garbage. We have trash pickup, that’s where I put my glass/plastic recyclables
A farm does produce a lot of burnables that I can tell you. I have a 10,000 ft hydroponic heirloom tomato greenhouse that produces tons of tomatoes and vine clippings...those I mulch and I keep bees Inbetween all that I swing a coil in my “spare time.

4B6CB1C0-8754-4C24-88FE-EDD4AF89560B.jpeg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can still burn my garbage. We have trash pickup, that’s where I put my glass/plastic recyclables
A farm does produce a lot of burnables that I can tell you. I have a 10,000 ft hydroponic heirloom tomato greenhouse that produces tons of tomatoes and vine clippings...those I mulch and I keep bees Inbetween all that I swing a coil in my “spare time.

View attachment 1542990

Do you use Miracle Grow in the water to help them?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you use Miracle Grow in the water to help them?

I crate my own custom mix pepperj. Miracle bro has nothing on my blend and it’s 100 cheaper since I buy in bulk.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always confused green acres with petticoat junction.

Chub

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a 10,000 ft hydroponic heirloom tomato greenhouse that produces tons of tomatoes and vine clippings...those I mulch and I keep bees Inbetween all that I swing a coil in my “spare time.

That's pretty interesting to read. When I retired and came home to live off my farm - nearly 4 years ago now, I was going into organic farming, going to sell at the local farmer's market. Started a thread in the Survival Forum, "Homesteading"...

It has been an action packed number of years, one thing right to the next. Members keep asking me to continue the thread. I don't know what to say to them but I'm still here. Gone all berry & fruit, no veggies. Kneading that soil in my raised beds and pulling a copperhead up by the tail along with poor returns on the veggies kinda took my motivation away. Though I still have plenty room for veggies if SHTF. Those fruits need to be about 5 years old before they really take off - time to get healthy, and time to take over. Raspberries galore this past year, and they'll be even heavier this coming year.

It's not even February, but temps into the teens here again tonight. Whatever may come, we will get by. That's called "peace".

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always confused green acres with petticoat junction.

Chub

That’s because both have ‘Hooterville’ in common

Hooterville is a fictional farming community that is the setting for the American situation comedies Petticoat Junction (1963—70) and Green Acres (1965—1971), two rural-oriented television shows

523F0F37-4ACE-4A23-9162-CF7E57ACC30B.jpeg C98CB884-AEFA-4EA0-9720-CDF3DD6B1E2E.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooterville

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty interesting to read. When I retired and came home to live off my farm - nearly 4 years ago now, I was going into organic farming, going to sell at the local farmer's market. ...

I sell heirloom tomatoes and honey at the farmers markets to support myself. Lots of work but very rewarding.
I have the best tomatoes in the entire Pacific Northwest. And beyond

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread