Cuyamaca

May 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found three shallow sets of keys today in different locations while detecting on the beach in San Diego, CA. They all appeared new and the car remote on one still worked. The beach was exceptionally busy due to unusually warm 80's temperatures here. Do surfers/swimmers bury their keys while they're out in the water? I wasn't sure so left the keys approximately where they were.

What do you all do when you find keys on the beach?

Thanks,

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take them to the nearest concession stand to the area in which you found them.

What I do.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take them to the nearest concession stand to the area in which you found them.

What I do.

SMART SOLUTION..They are more likely to go to the nearest concession stand then find the needle in the haystack if yiu would have left them in the sand.

176DE18F-10E6-430B-86F6-8291B4F46EB7.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Cuyamaca

May 2, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, but there are no concession stands on the beaches here.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leave them at the local police station.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the rings and keys apart and scatter them around areas you don't hunt to keep the other guys with detectors busy. Especially in the shallows.

That’s just mean...LOL

1819820C-3AE2-49B5-B2E1-7D56FEE5E233.jpeg

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have seen surfers, drop them and kick sand over them, usually they drop them in front of a post or something like that.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn them into the lifeguards. You said San Diego? The first thing people do is ask a lifeguard at the towers if they found them. My experience in Newport is turn them in to the tower, if the tower is closed go to the office on the pier. I've turned in 9 sets with 6 claimed. Leave your contact info when you turn them in. Got offered two rewards, told both people to keep their money and if they find a set of keys pass the favor on. A friend isn't too cool. He'll walk through the parking lot clicking the fob when he finds the car, he opens it and throws the keys on the drivers seat in plain view and relocks the car. He calls it a $125 lesson, I call it...........

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol...

I forgot about lifeguards...
Where I detect... there are never lifeguards.

And if the beach does have life guards I am there and gone before they arrive.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take them to parking lot and figure out which vehicle it is, then move it. return keys to approximate location.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s just mean...LOL

View attachment 1542864

heh... agreed.

This is called "seeding"... Its a low lame game that some detectorists play.

Some also find it amusing to toss fake shipwreck coins,

I can tell you a story of a serious argument that ensued after a guy was caught doing a penny roll toss.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This thread reminds me of this: A lady had a "lost keys" ad on CL. Gave the name of a certain beach, and the ad said "reward". She met me there to show me the area of the beach she suspected. I gave it my best attempt, but ...... couldn't find them :(

So I told her that since several days had passed, it was possible another md'r had already been in the area and found them . (Because, of course, us md'rs find keys all the time, right ?).

She asked me: "What would they do with them?" This question caught me off-guard, and I was not really thinking of the implications of the answer. I just gave the honest answer of what we md'rs mostly do with the keys we find. And I told her: "They will probably just throw them away".

When the lady heard this, she CRINGED and shuddered with disgust. As if saying "how could they be so cruel", etc.... It was at that exact moment, I realized I'd given an answer I shouldn't have. Doh !

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread reminds me of this: A lady had a "lost keys" ad on CL. Gave the name of a certain beach, and the ad said "reward". She met me there to show me the area of the beach she suspected. I gave it my best attempt, but ...... couldn't find them :(

So I told her that since several days had passed, it was possible another md'r had already been in the area and found them . (Because, of course, us md'rs find keys all the time, right ?).

She asked me: "What would they do with them?" This question caught me off-guard, and I was not really thinking of the implications of the answer. I just gave the honest answer of what we md'rs mostly do with the keys we find. And I told her: "They will probably just throw them away".

When the lady heard this, she CRINGED and shuddered with disgust. As if saying "how could they be so cruel", etc.... It was at that exact moment, I realized I'd given an answer I shouldn't have. Doh !

:laughing7: Oops!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions