Buying a new metal detector anwsers

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this isn't breaking any forum rules but I came across this site and it explains a lot for those looking at getting their first metal detector. It seems there are a lot of newbies asking whats the best detector to buy. I'm trying to learn what different frequencies are used for to help me hunt better and came across this.

(deleted for rule violation, non supporting vendor)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That websites suggestions for entry level, mid level and, high end machines is way off since it does not include any Minelab or Whites machines.

Some of the info may be valid but I would suggest looking over several sites and avoid sales pitches and websites that are sales sites.

Also, stick with a well known brand like a Minelab, Whites, Garrett, Tesoro, Fisher.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
lookingharder

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicksan, I agree with you 100%. I'm a Whites and Garrett fan just because they are the ones I know and used. I just posted because it gave a general glossary of what some of us talk about for the new guys. This site is the best place to get unbiased opinions on metal detectors. Of course your still going to get the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge opinions. I think it would be interesting to see a thread of '"what owners don't like about there detectors"

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cannot really say anything bad about my Whites M6, Its simple, easy to operate and has good depth with the stock the coil.

I use the 5.3 coil most of the time because I am always hunting very trashy sites so I need to be able to separate trash easier
Then I will go back over the same site with the stock coil, that technique has been very successful.

Ford, Ford, Ford..Whites, Whites, Whites............ :headbang: :laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO, purchase a nice mid to high end machine and really learn it! An operator that understands the machine, has MD knowledge and decent places to hunt will always do well. To me understanding all the machine settings and hoe they interact with each other is a must learn skill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions