Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back around 1980, I was going thru a Tech School on Industrial Equipment Technology. The instructor was at the blackboard going through something very quickly, something that he assumed should be common knowledge to everyone. As I sat there, I knew very well what he was talking about but I could see five or six very puzzled guys as they struggled to understand. I knew that if they didn't grasp this part, what was coming next wouldn't make sense at all. I was amazed that none of these guys were going to ask anything so I simply raised my hand and stopped the instructor. The instructor stopped and gave me a look as he asked what I wanted. So, I asked what the others were afraid to ask. After another look, the instructor went back and made everything a lot clearer to these guys relief. After class, the instructor asked me why I asked, he knew that I knew very well what he was talking about. So I told him about the others who were lost and then he nodded then asked, "So why didn't they ask?" I shrugged my shoulders and he shook his head. Oh yeah, those guys? they each came to me and thanked me for asking the question so I asked them why they didn't ask. They didn't want to look stupid. I told them that the only real stupid question is the one that you don't ask when you don't know. who cares if everyone else knows the answer, you don't and until you ask someone for help or manage to dig deeper, you won't know and therefore you are stupid. occasionally I wouldn't get the answer I was looking for and would actually argue with an instructor until it came out but then I really understood. Now, after so much brain trauma from the brain aneurysm and strokes, I am again asking questions in order to understand sometimes very simple things to some. It is what it is but at least I am still trying to get better. and yes, there can actually be a stupid question but most of the time, they are not. Focus on what you can do now, not on what you used to be able to do(it will only depress you).

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sounds like you were raised like I was and was taught the only stupid question is the one you do not ask

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This all makes sense to me...going forward I will not be afraid to ask for more clarity and appreciate more what I can grasp...you never know what health problems can set you back. Thanks for asking the tough questions and sharing your results.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SOMETIMES..you have to be smart enough to...ask a stupid question...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post Dirt! :headbang:

I DID ask a stupid question a couple of times though.. "Will you marry me?" :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good post up-just hope I don't give you too many stupid answers.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have asked a question and as I did, answered my question. I guess the stupidest thing is answering yes when asked "Do you understand?" and you don't. I am slower now at things sinking in but I can be persistent and finally get a hold on it. It tends to give you a deeper grasp on things when you work with special needs high school kids(volunteer). you begin to have more patience in their struggles. But, when you can see the steam clearly rising from the plate of food, it is hot!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m the king of stupid questions ( just wait till the ground thaws), my boss thinks I should be institutionalized sometimes.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to be clear on that last post; I got my AT pro for Christmas and the only thing that’s been defrosted enough to detect is the nails in my living room floor, so when I get outside, you will see a flurry of stupid questions!! I’ll have Tnet all to myself cuz everyone will block or ignore me ( just kidding, you all are great at answering questions)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story, thank you for sharing!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way back when I was teaching folks how to shoot in archery I could always tell who was going to be a "quick" learner from others. I found women and children the easiest to teach. So what does this have to do with this thread you might ask...?

I'd always start out standing them about 3' from the backstop along with 1 arrow and with nothing to aim at. Then we'd start with the basic fundamentals. After about 20-30 shots I'd always get the same question: "Why don't we put up a target?" My answer was always "Do you want to learn how to shoot...or... hit a bullseye?" Depending upon their answer it would always allow me to gauge this persons learning capabilities.

If they said BOTH "shoot & bullseye" it was going to be a longer process. If they said "shoot" then I found it was going to be a easier task.

Hitting a bullseye or 10 ring is "easy" if you know how to shoot and have the strength. But hitting 60-120 10's in a row over a 2-day tournament is a true measure of your ability to "shoot". The target is the report card and has NOTHING to do with any aspect of shooting.

Asking questions is a window into your intellect. And a good teacher can pick up on the different aspects of a asked question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way back when I was teaching folks how to shoot in archery I could always tell who was going to be a "quick" learner from others. I found women and children the easiest to teach. So what does this have to do with this thread you might ask...?

I'd always start out standing them about 3' from the backstop along with 1 arrow and with nothing to aim at. Then we'd start with the basic fundamentals. After about 20-30 shots I'd always get the same question: "Why don't we put up a target?" My answer was always "Do you want to learn how to shoot...or... hit a bullseye?" Depending upon their answer it would always allow me to gauge this persons learning capabilities.

If they said BOTH "shoot & bullseye" it was going to be a longer process. If they said "shoot" then I found it was going to be a easier task.

Hitting a bullseye or 10 ring is "easy" if you know how to shoot and have the strength. But hitting 60-120 10's in a row over a 2-day tournament is a true measure of your ability to "shoot". The target is the report card and has NOTHING to do with any aspect of shooting.

Asking questions is a window into your intellect. And a good teacher can pick up on the different aspects of a asked question.

I used to teach a few individuals on how to show instinctive with a good recurve or longbow. I would start them out shooting peas at about three feet. very hard for most and frustrating but it taught focus. after they were deadly at three feet, we would back up a foot or so and keep at it. only backing up when that distance was mastered and then stepping back up to take a closer shot now and then. I would explain that if you can hit a pea or bean at 20 feet, then shooting a squirrel was like shooting a bear. I actually practiced on bugs landing on clover, an easy thing after a while and then it was hitting them before they actually landed. I always loved Howard Hill and reading what he did. focus and clean releases. But you are quite right, if they aren't willing to do what it takes to be actually really good, they will never be but so so or inconsistent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread