Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 9" Bridgeport lathe from the early 50's. I used to use it quite often years ago to make threads, knurling, drilling, tapers. I don't use it enough to even remember how to use the power feed on it. Now I turn manually.

WyoTrex

Greenie
Apr 15, 2016
Riverton
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Enco 13"x40" This was an inheritance from a friends passing from a year ago. Hoping to get a small Grizzly mill in the coming months also. Used to have an Shoptask Bridgemill 17x22 3-n-1 machine that I had converted to CNC. Without CNC, Shoptask is a piece of crap in my opinion. With cnc it is a pretty good machine as long as you take light cuts and don't try to hog metal and live with the small size. I removed everything i could reuse or resell from the shoptask and scrapped the rest as scrap iron.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Mori Seiki at work. Nothing at the house though.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got a '46 South Bend Heavy 10, and a Delta Rockwell vertical mill, and a Barker AM model horizontal. Just added a Morse metal saw to the collection. I salute all you guys that spend your money on tools, rather than toys. With enough tools you can build any toy you need....LOL
Jim

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a peerless, Waltham,Boley,and a couple others. Do Jeweler/watch lathes count? :laughing7: I can't make anything big. But I'm pretty good with the small stuff. :laughing7: I also have a couple Pivot Making/polishing machines for watches and small instruments. They are like small lathes with a grinding wheel. I've never really used them They are still wired for 440v AC, I just like to collect the small stuff when I find it.

Last edited:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Of coarse Nitric, I for one would love to watch someone turning on a jewelers lathe . im used to working on skidders ,loaders , dozers and old greasy sawmills. getting to see someone mastering the really small stuff would be a treat.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of coarse Nitric, I for one would love to watch someone turning on a jewelers lathe . im used to working on skidders ,loaders , dozers and old greasy sawmills. getting to see someone mastering the really small stuff would be a treat.

It's the same only smaller. Probably actually easier. Just tighter tolerances. A lot of it can be done freehand with a graver. I've watched older guys that did amazing work. The gear cutters and compounds(?) cross slide is just smaller stuff. The biggest problem for me is that now that I'm Middle aged. :laughing7: It's a lot harder to see.

I got into this stuff because I can play with mechanical stuff in the house! I don't have the room or the money for the big stuff! :laughing7:

I'll still bet it's easier other than the measuring and seeing sometimes.

Ohhh! And I'm far from having it mastered! I make more mistakes than one time parts! :laughing7: One watch I wasted 10 pieces of metal before I actually got it right! :laughing7: A ton of trial and error on some complicated parts. but no one ever talks about that. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a wood lathe. I am currently outfitting a black smith shop at home. I love tools. Looking at building a power hammer at the moment.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At the college, I have a full machine shop (many of the machines are old but work great) to play in :headbang:, but at home only a small Grizzly lathe and milling machine.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not to hijack a thread , but you guys have got me when it comes to machining, but sense this is a treasure forum and we are talking machining . my dad has a vintage Barns no.5 with a seat attachment, and you pedal it like a bicycle hows that for antiques.

Canadian_zuk

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 13x24 Metal lathe in my home garage I use almost daily for small personal projects, gun smithing and speciality ATV tools I make and sell (this really took off on me). I'm looking to add a Mill in the near future, just looking for the right deal :)

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 13x24 Metal lathe in my home garage I use almost daily for small personal projects, gun smithing and speciality ATV tools I make and sell (this really took off on me). I'm looking to add a Mill in the near future, just looking for the right deal :)

Its always the tooling that adds up...some good eastern European tooling can be found at times for a good price.

Chub

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to hijack a thread , but you guys have got me when it comes to machining, but sense this is a treasure forum and we are talking machining . my dad has a vintage Barns no.5 with a seat attachment, and you pedal it like a bicycle hows that for antiques.

I'm pretty sure it's ok here in the General section. We can't be detecting ALL the time (although many of us try -ha ha)

Chub

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ca. zuk , not sure what type your looking for ,but i bought a foreign brand small round column style on a pallet cheap , did some pulley making after cleaning it up and put on a new motor, that little thing is a pretty good outfit ,i have a wells index but i find myself doing alot of work with that smaller one , have did some some very satisfying work with it. o and i better clarify myself this was a mill i was describing, and i was surprised after cleaning it ,the dovetails and ways were scrapped in .

Last edited:

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Speedway (Sieg) 7x12 mini lathe. I mainly use it for installing ferrules and tips on pool cues. I use it a few times a year for other stuff as well. Handy tool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions