Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I heard this a lot from my grandfather when I was a kid. He was usually referring to using something simple like a shovel, a broom or even a hammer. The first time, he was speaking about an engineer cousin(very successful) who could these great things and yet couldn't figure out how to get stuck mud off a shovel. Then it was while watching a young person in a store trying to sweep up a big mess. this person was making everything even worse as they tried to sweep it up in just one or two sweeps. Then, the kid with the straight clawed roofing hammer... he was hammering and raised the hammer back for a hard swing and stuck the claws into the top of the back of his head. Oh, that one would be me, when I was about six after being told to quit beating on an old pot. yep, hurt and bled pretty good and I hid it from him after I got the bleeding to stop and washed up. My wife has heard this a multitude of times over the years, always about something very simple to do or use and mostly about someone else. Naw, I'm not that stupid and she has whopped me hard for just thinking about it. I did hear my grandfather say that to my brother one time after he cut his leg while whittling on a piece of wood. Now, while I never cut my leg with a knife, I do have a few scars on my left hand and fingers. Now, I manage to do stupid things pretty regularly, kind of embarrassing if you know what I mean.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you have to be especially careful with metal detectors, as sometimes they "lie" to us. Today I dug a silver dime that sounded terrible, very scratchy and showed a mid tone on the VDI. It acted like aluminum, and a small piece at that, but was about 5" deep and on edge. And old silver. Detectors do lie. And they won't help you get the mud off your shovel.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yea,and mine even falsed on a wooden nickel last Saturday. I'm tired of it.:laughing7:

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I think I'm the king of stupid, if not the king at least the prince. My wife calls me Tim the Toolman... :BangHead:

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I'm not going to publicly admit to ripping a hole in my pants and almost drilling into my own leg while trying to make my own plastic hand scoop.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to hit myself in the face with a hammer once...... took out half of a couple teeth.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A wise man (Forest Gump) once said, "It happens."

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I won't admit (again), after a rest on the beach to start swinging with the detector off.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One word: Lenscap. 😖

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
don't you love it when people open up and admit something that they might feel is a little stupid or embarrassing. I do recall a time of detecting for about ten minutes and thinking that this area was free of trash...or any signals. had to go back and do it all again.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never admit to falling in the hole in the beach sand I was in the process of digging. Never. And yes, I always fill my holes in, even the ones at the beach.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this hard hitting signal only to lose it, I searched everywhere with my pinpointer and then stood up and searched with my detector. it was gone and I was stupidfied as I stared at the plug and the hole. it was such a good signal and so I looked out way to the side to see if it might have flipped way out. then, it hit me and I turned the Sampson over and there it was, stuck to the shovel....DUHHHHHH.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I’ll never admit that when I was 16, I was walking by two bus loads of Jobe’s Daughters who were trying to get my attention but I was trying to be “cool” and as I looked over at them I walked into a metal streetlight pole and it made the loudest Bong sound. The two bus load of girls almost raised those buses into the air with their laughing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes they are stuck to the pinpointer if it's muddy enough.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's why I stick with hammers and avoid nail guns.

On the other hand, if our detector display showed "has the same relative conductivity as a quarter sized and shaped object" we might be less disappointment when we dug a bit of can slaw.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread