Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t think so, but it prolly adds just enough weight that you might notice the difference.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think so, but it prolly adds just enough weight that you might notice the difference.
it was so much i could of planted a flower in it. :BangHead:

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its ok Dave i am a Raider fan .:dontknow:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that sand in the coil, especially from a salt water beach, can drive your machine nuts, especially if the sand gets wet.
Go Eagles!!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just clean it out every four-five hunts in the dirt and you'll be fine!

Go White Plains Wildcats! :occasion14:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes dirt can affect signals. I had the same thing and thought my detector was having problems. Cleaned it out and the issues cleared right up. Proceeded to plasti dip the coil so I never have to worry again.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny how some things never change here is a discussion about the exact same topic here on TNet from 2009

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...ean-your-metal-detector-coil-digger-tool.html

Never know when you swing over mineralized soil and you capture some under your coil cover. That would for sure ‘jack’ with your ground balance. I like to clean my detectors after every hunting trip just like I clean my guns after each heavy use.

Something about taking care of your tools that was instilled in my psyche from my grandfather. He told me that if I took care of my tools they will always take care of me. Something about cleaning my gear after every hunt that I enjoy, maybe it’s the connection to my grandfather.

Cheers

30D643E2-65E2-4C2B-864A-C0F5BF6E9360.jpeg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A word of Caution;; do not attempt to remove the coil cover of your XP DEUS. Doing so will void your warranty.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... dirt in a coil cover can and will affect a detectors abilities.

False reading is most common.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on your dirt if it is black sand with magnetic particles it can certainly affect the performance.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on your dirt if it is black sand with magnetic particles it can certainly affect the performance.

I was going to say that. Treasure is right I believe, I would say the salt water sand, black sand like around here, and as I understand the "Red" dirt in the South East, all COULD affect the machine. I always use coil covers, against nicks scrapes etc, but dirt does get in there, and I'm no different from you in that I always space out on it, and when I do clean them out, I'm surprised as well.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I put mind on and took it off for good. I don't play that much in gravel or rough surface and it reduces weight after a long day. Especially on the NEL Storm. That dude is heavy. And I don't think a little dirt in there makes a lot of difference if you do use a cover. Have a good day.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also check under the coil cover if you detect with practical jokers I have heard of some hunting with a buddy and the buddy unbeknownst to the person swinging the detector had removed the coil cover and placed a coin or metal object between the coil and the coil cover and the person that did it sat back and watched the other digging targets that were not there. So yes check under your coil cover and clean

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread